Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #71
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
He doesn't "NEED" a cai .
and I don't "need" a 750hp weekend toy...
but I sure as hell want one..
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #72
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
yeh it's really hard when you are arguing against fact..
The facts you speak of are the companies themselves trying to sell you their brand CAI and show you gains with JUST a CAI. I know they gain with other mods, I'm not retarded. a CAI is like a catback or an axleback by itself.....maybe a couple of HP but by themselves they don't help in terms of HP.

I am not a troll and I'm sorry if I "lost credibility" with you. Didn't know I had to earn credibility with all members. Some people understand what I mean, some people don't and there will be some people in life (and on these forums) that don't like me. OH well...that's life. All the cold air and catback threads are getting old and kinda ricer....I def learn a lot more from LS1 tech
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #73
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Drives: '13 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
The facts you speak of are the companies themselves trying to sell you their brand CAI and show you gains with JUST a CAI. I know they gain with other mods, I'm not retarded. a CAI is like a catback or an axleback by itself.....maybe a couple of HP but by themselves they don't help in terms of HP.

I am not a troll and I'm sorry if I "lost credibility" with you. Didn't know I had to earn credibility with all members. Some people understand what I mean, some people don't and there will be some people in life (and on these forums) that don't like me. OH well...that's life. All the cold air and catback threads are getting old and kinda ricer....I def learn a lot more from LS1 tech

Last time I checked JRE doesn't sell a JRE CAI, so his dyno results showing a Cold Air Induction's CAI giving more Hp than other CAI's is not "companies themselves trying to sell you their brand"
JBA 3" CAT-BACK Model 40-3114
Cold Air Inductions intake (near-chrome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-6g...ujjgV9wZo9jnXw

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
ebaugh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #74
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
so much "debate" over a ****ing air intake lol... typical thread around here
Yep. But these long ass threads help these 12 hr shifts go by.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #75
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
a CAI is like a catback or an axleback by itself.....maybe a couple of HP but by themselves they don't help in terms of HP.
So you are saying a CAI by itself is only good for a couple of HP on a stock Camaro? I would think that 15-16 WHP, which has been tested and verified multiple times, on a stock Camaro no tune and no other mods is a pretty good gain and well worth the cost. Not to mention the other gains and benefits they provide other than just the added HP? I guess I am just confused as to the point you are trying to make here?

Last edited by Sales @ CAI Inc; 04-25-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #76
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
So you are saying a CAI by itself is only good for a couple of HP on a stock Camaro? I would not think that 15-16 WHP, which has been tested and verified multiple times, on a stock Camaro no tune and no other mods is a pretty good gain and well worth the cost. Not to mention the other gains and benefits they provide other than just the added HP? I guess I am just confused as to the point you are trying to make here?
Don't listen to him he has proven himself a troll.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
530/520 SAE
Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #77
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
Quote:

Air intake is actually the single best HP per $ on the market, that is if you go with the provens.
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #78
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:

I guess English and reading comprehension were not big on your list in school just auto shop apparently. Which you must have failed as well if you think the same amount of air can travel through that maze of a stock air tube over a CAI that is a straight shot and bigger diameter and is also heat isolated.

the word INDEPENDENT means they have no vested interest in a brand.

The people that have verified this do not work for any "company pushing it's wares"
All of the big CAIs made power and not just a "couple" on a stock car.

but I've wasted enough energy as have others making you look foolish.
530/520 SAE
Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #79
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
So you are saying a CAI by itself is only good for a couple of HP on a stock Camaro? I would think that 15-16 WHP, which has been tested and verified multiple times, on a stock Camaro no tune and no other mods is a pretty good gain and well worth the cost. Not to mention the other gains and benefits they provide other than just the added HP? I guess I am just confused as to the point you are trying to make here?
THANK YOU!!!!

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #80
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Ha!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366934564.103481.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  218.1 KB

Quote:
Old 04-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #81
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
To the OP - I to have the same headers without an air intake. The cost of them was crazy to me and I always thought that they showed lil gains. However I knew eventually I will cuz like Chase said the engine is like an air pump. So you dont need it right now but eventually like me with headers and soon to be cam you will. Good luck with your performance gains and enjoy the sound lol.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #82
Muddflap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
To the OP - I to have the same headers without an air intake. The cost of them was crazy to me and I always thought that they showed lil gains. However I knew eventually I will cuz like Chase said the engine is like an air pump. So you dont need it right now but eventually like me with headers and soon to be cam you will. Good luck with your performance gains and enjoy the sound lol.
Thanks bro, ill be ordering the cold air in a couple weeks and going to have it and the headers installed at the same time. I'm hoping to have a cam installed by August.
Muddflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #83
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddflap View Post
Thanks bro, ill be ordering the cold air in a couple weeks and going to have it and the headers installed at the same time. I'm hoping to have a cam installed by August.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #84
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
That's not necessarily a good thing. By moving the IAT sensor to the box, you're not fueling the proper IAT for the air entering the engine. Does it really matter what the IAT reading is if it's not being accurately accounted for by the PCM?

OP. You don't NEED a CAI at all. However, they CAN provide a very good cost/benefit ratio. The better CAI's will net you in the 12-15whp range. If you take a cost of $350-400, that comes to $23-33/HP which is a good ratio.
Timing is more important than rich on l99 and ls3 camaros.On a stock car the IAT TIMING REDUCTION is very aggressive...SO HEAT SOAK IS A BAD THING!

The maf in the box measures real temperature at the inlet not 6-12 inches later were it will heat soak.

Here is proof in the year 2013 - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290695

Here is proof in 2010 - http://admperformance.com/products.p...=58&product=92
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolt ons, cai, camaro ss