Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
mfarhan_amin

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2013
oil Dipstick Reading

I have 2013 SS/L99. Today i changed oil myself. I pour 8 qts of AMSOIL along with their filter. But Dipstick showed me 1 quart low. I poured one more Quart. total 9. Now it shows full. Just at the last dot of cross hatch. It was done when the engine was cold.

Is anything wrong with dipstick. How should I know if I overfilled it?

As manual says 8 Quarts of oil.

VMAX PORTED THROTTLE BODY, ROTO-FAB CAI, FLOWMASTER OUTLAW AXLE-BACK WITH J-PIPES. VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER. 1LE 3.91 GEARS. KOOKS 1 7/8 LTs, CAT DELETE, GPI SS2 VVT CAM, ATI 10%
UDP, MELLING HIGH VOLUME HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL PUMP
mfarhan_amin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Just check it again when the motor is cold. +1 on the Amsoil.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarhan_amin View Post
I have 2013 SS/L99. Today i changed oil myself. I pour 8 qts of AMSOIL along with their filter. But Dipstick showed me 1 quart low. I poured one more Quart. total 9. Now it shows full. Just at the last dot of cross hatch. It was done when the engine was cold.

Is anything wrong with dipstick. How should I know if I overfilled it?

As manual says 8 Quarts of oil.
If the manual says 8qts and you put in 9. That's how you know you overfilled it.

This is how I have been doing it for decades.

2012 Camaro SS L99 example: First drive the car until the oil is up to normal operating temp. Then pull up on ramps and drain the oil, I always take the oil fill cap loose an tilt it a little to just let air thru(not dirt or foreign objects) and pull the dip stick up just a little to let air thru. Let drain until dripping. I put the oil drain plug back on finger tight then remove oil filter. Then remove oil drain plug again and let everything drain for a while. Then fill new oil filter with fresh oil out of the 8qts or a little less than 8 total that I am going to add later. Clean areas of drain plug and filter. Install oil drain plug, install new pre filled oil filter. Fill engine with the fresh oil. Usually a total of just under 8qts. Take car out for a ride to get new oil up to normal operating temp. Park car in garage. Clean up. Let car sit for a few hours. Then later check oil level. It is usually a smidge below the top full line. Good enough. Done. The valve train ticking noises seem quieter and not so much ticking when I fill engine with a little less than 8qts total.

Did you drive your car to get it up to temp after adding the fresh 8qts. Or did you just fill with 8qts then check the dip stick soon after filling? If you did, you are a little over. Myself I would drain a quart out.

Last edited by GMTool; 02-18-2016 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Can't spell
GMTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
If the manual says 8qts and you put in 9. That's how you know you overfilled it.

This is how I have been doing it for decades.

2012 Camaro SS L99 example: First drive the car until the oil is up to normal operating temp. Then pull up on ramps and drain the oil, I always take the oil fill cap loose an tilt it a little to just let air thru(not dirt or foreign objects) and pull the dip stick up just a little to let air thru. Let drain until dripping. I put the oil drain plug back on finger tight then remove oil filter. Then remove oil drain plug again and let everything drain for a while. Then fill new oil filter with fresh oil out of the 8qts or a little less than 8 total that I am going to add later. Clean areas of drain plug and filter. Install oil drain plug, install new pre filled oil filter. Fill engine with the fresh oil. Usually a total of just under 8qts. Take car out for a ride to get new oil up to normal operating temp. Park car in garage. Clean up. Let car sit for a few hours. Then later check oil level. It is usually a smidge below the top full line. Good enough. Done. The valve train ticking noises seem quieter and not so much ticking when I fill engine with a little less than 8qts total.

Did you drive your car to get it up to temp after adding the fresh 8qts. Or did you just fill with 8qts then check the dip stick soon after filling? If you did, you are a little over. Myself I would drain a quart out.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Mine normally takes 8.5 quarts with an oil change. LS3.
Stainless Power Longtube headers, off road mids, stock H pipe, flowmaster mufflers, Vararam tune model intake, NightFury cam, and 91 octane email tune from Dynosteve @ rdpmotorsport.com. 473 rwhp and 430 ft. Lbs. @3,235 ft elevation.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
ZOOMSS

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
The manual states 8 quarts but the actual engine capacity is 8.9 quarts. Normally there is about a quart of residual oil left over inside the engine when you drain it which is why the manual states to use 8 quarts, but sometimes more drains out, so by adding 9 quarts you are over but only by a small amount. Unless you are planning on getting some track time and some heavy cornering where frothing may occur or where it might splash up past the baffle it shouldn't be an issue.
ZOOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMSS View Post
The manual states 8 quarts but the actual engine capacity is 8.9 quarts. Normally there is about a quart of residual oil left over inside the engine when you drain it which is why the manual states to use 8 quarts, but sometimes more drains out, so by adding 9 quarts you are over but only by a small amount. Unless you are planning on getting some track time and some heavy cornering where frothing may occur or where it might splash up past the baffle it shouldn't be an issue.
8.9 is if doing an assembly and everything is bone dry. 8 is for a regular oil change, which should always be done on a hot engine. Getting the engine hot and the oil circulating gets all the crud mixed into the oil's detergents.

You check the level on a cold engine, change oil on a hot engine.

I would just check it cold. One inch on the dipstick = One qt. Under one inch over full, I wouldn't mess with it. One inch over... drain a qt.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #8
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
8.9 is if doing an assembly and everything is bone dry. 8 is for a regular oil change, which should always be done on a hot engine. Getting the engine hot and the oil circulating gets all the crud mixed into the oil's detergents.

You check the level on a cold engine, change oil on a hot engine.

I would just check it cold. One inch on the dipstick = One qt. Under one inch over full, I wouldn't mess with it. One inch over... drain a qt.
An inch per quart? Wouldn't that put the hash marks 8 inches up on the dip stick.
Stainless Power Longtube headers, off road mids, stock H pipe, flowmaster mufflers, Vararam tune model intake, NightFury cam, and 91 octane email tune from Dynosteve @ rdpmotorsport.com. 473 rwhp and 430 ft. Lbs. @3,235 ft elevation.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:40 PM   #9
kenfb1

Drives: 68 Nova SS 2013 Camaro 2SS RS
Dipstick

Ok,
Here's my dipstick from a 6.2 LS3.
Check pics for correct fill and add lines,
part number is on dipstick for reference.
Ken
Attached Images

kenfb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:42 AM   #10
John Simon

Drives: Supra, GTR R-34, RX-7
Before Checking the dipstick, you should start the car and get to the operating temperature, (basically when the fan turns on) The shuts off the car let the car sit for 10 minutes or so, and the pull out the Dip stick, clean it and put it back in and then pull it out and see the reading. your oil level should be at the top line/Point of the Dipstick.
If it is little less than it, that not a big problem, because some of the oil sits on valve terrain or in cylinder head. You should me worry if it shows less than half of the markers on the dipstick.
John Simon is offline   Reply With Quote