Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #29
TOSTO RACING
STOCK ELIMINATOR

Drives: STOCKER
I run 64's also so sounds like I'm doomed lol. I recall a bulletin from Gm saying to use 64's since the 48's were leaking .
Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #30
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Only tighten 3/4 turn, MAX

I don't have a problem using the AC Delco filters ending in E. Been using them for a long time. Though there is one thing I have noticed about them concerning leaks. They don't like to be overtightened, when the filters rubber gasket makes contact with the surface, do not tighten more than 3/4 of a turn. I've notice in the past years that overtightening seems to promote a little oil seepage, and also makes removing them not as easy as it should be.

Last edited by GMTool; 08-31-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Can't spell
GMTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #31
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGT View Post
And just what would be the disadvantage of oil not bypassing until a higher pressure? Sounds like a plus to me. If that's even true. Oil requiring more oil pressure before bypassing the filter means more unfiltered oil going through the oil filter media and less being diverted back through the engine, a plus unless you don't change your oil frequently enough.

I guess I'll just set back and wait for all these ls cars I have pf64's on, to be coming in with severe damage.
The bypass valve in the filter only opens up if the filter is clogged and the pressure reaches a certain point. During the point the filter becomes clogged and before the valve opens, the engine is receiving no oil for lubrication and is running dry, which can and does cause damage to bearings, pistons, seals, etc. Running a filter with a relief valve that requires more PSI before it opens up means you are running the engine dry with no lubrication for longer periods of time. So how do you consider running your engine with no oil for longer a plus?
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #32
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The bypass valve in the filter only opens up if the filter is clogged and the pressure reaches a certain point. During the point the filter becomes clogged and before the valve opens, the engine is receiving no oil for lubrication and is running dry, which can and does cause damage to bearings, pistons, seals, etc. Running a filter with a relief valve that requires more PSI before it opens up means you are running the engine dry with no lubrication for longer periods of time. So how do you consider running your engine with no oil for longer a plus?
I change my oil and filer every 1000 to 1500 miles, hard miles at the drag strip. No worries about clogging.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #33
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I've always like WIX, so I recently talked to a WIX filter tech person. They recommended the WIX 57060XP. I've used it for a month now, including four road course track days. All worked perfect, so I'm sticking with that one. It seems to have all the right features. The flow GPM, bypass pressure...all look right for an LS3.

I don't see how a PF64 would cause any issues. I had a friend in the know look up the specs and compare to the old PF48. Thicker can, different type of bypass valve. It's the OE filter for the LT1 and LT4 which run a bit more oil pressure and volume. You're only going to be bypassing the media on pressure spikes or clogged media. So I just don't see any issue, but who knows unless you have a million dollar R&D budget.

Looking at the WIX 57060XP, looks like all high quality stuff. I like the wire reinforced synthetic pleats vs paper pleats. I know when getting into performance running, you don't want those pleats folding over. So that's the one I'm sticking with.

I asked about a racing filter, cause I use a WIX racing filter on my race car. But that has 2 to 3 thou bearing clearances. They said for the LS which can have less than 1 thou .001 clearances... better to use their XP series filter that filters the small micron stuff.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:02 PM   #34
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Russell, I use the same filter on my Acura and I like it. Looks well made and has the anti drain valve that looks well constructed. The napa platinum (wix) what I use now is good too.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #35
CGT

Drives: 2011 SSm6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Because there would be less chance unfiltered oil bypassing the filter. The bypass is there for the purpose of a clogged filter, as to not blow the filter off the engine. The more pressure required to bypass the filter would result in more oil running through the filter.

Bypass open or closed would not result in running anything dry. That's why the bypass is there, for people who don't do proper maintenance. You know alot of people with clogged oil filters? What is your source of the bypass pressure differences and what are the pressures required to open the bypass.?

A pf48e crosses into WIX as any of there "060" suffix filters, cheap to expensive. A pf64 only crosses into the premium version of the "060" filter. But regardless, both cross into the same part number. One cheaper, one premium.

Both filters original applications have very similar running oil pressure specifications. So I question the validity of that anyway. There are ALOT of pf64's on alot of high powered LS stuff around here. Maybe an engine explosion epidemic will be happening soon.

Last edited by CGT; 09-15-2016 at 01:41 PM.
CGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #36
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
47060 NAPA platinum(WIX) is what Ive been running. I'll be cutting used one open this weekend to see how it looks.
The PF48E The cardboard ends kinda freaked me out when I saw them, I would never use them again
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #37
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I've always like WIX, so I recently talked to a WIX filter tech person. They recommended the WIX 57060XP. I've used it for a month now, including four road course track days. All worked perfect, so I'm sticking with that one. It seems to have all the right features. The flow GPM, bypass pressure...all look right for an LS3.

I don't see how a PF64 would cause any issues. I had a friend in the know look up the specs and compare to the old PF48. Thicker can, different type of bypass valve. It's the OE filter for the LT1 and LT4 which run a bit more oil pressure and volume. You're only going to be bypassing the media on pressure spikes or clogged media. So I just don't see any issue, but who knows unless you have a million dollar R&D budget.

Looking at the WIX 57060XP, looks like all high quality stuff. I like the wire reinforced synthetic pleats vs paper pleats. I know when getting into performance running, you don't want those pleats folding over. So that's the one I'm sticking with.

I asked about a racing filter, cause I use a WIX racing filter on my race car. But that has 2 to 3 thou bearing clearances. They said for the LS which can have less than 1 thou .001 clearances... better to use their XP series filter that filters the small micron stuff.
I use also 57060XP for the track. Alternatively, the Delco UPF-48R, also has stouter construction. It is designed for the dry sump engines, which assume track use and high pressures.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #38
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Here's a thread in a corvette forum about a guy bored at home recovering from an injury and decided to buy a bunch of different filters and cut them open for a compare. You can see how shitty the P48E is and why.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-upf48r-7.html

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #39
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Been running Mobil 5w30 and PF48E filter all its 111k mile life. It's been supercharged for 70k of that and heads and cam since. 5K mile oil changes.
Attached Images

2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote