Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #15
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
I traded my 2010 1lt on a zl1 last month. I test drove the ss and didn't like it, i found my modded 1lt to be more fun. But the zl1 was a whole other animal. However i have grown up with high horsepower vehicles and motocycles. Im 22

If you like the ss then go for it. But make sure you love it when you drive it or else you will regret your descision. I ALMOST bought a 2010 2ss right before i got the zl1. Gas will be your biggest difference in cost. Ls3 is a very well built motor, the ss has a much better drivetrain than our v6s.

Btw my insurance went down 10 bucks a month when i went from 1lt to zl1. I doubt it will change in price much. Get a quote beforehand
Old 02-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #16
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
If you can do it, do it. Yeah, it's gonna be more expensive, but like others have said, there's no replacement for displacement! That v8 is just too much fun.

That being a said, and again just like others have said, don't be an idiot. Take the car to an empty lot late at night to see what it can do so you have an idea of the power difference and how the car behaves before you do any misbehaving on the roads (we're all guilty of it, who are we kidding)
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #17
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Or hold out for a new 2017 1LE.......gonna be a BEAST. And 300 lbs lighter.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/...A2C534B1761EF0
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #18
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
Or hold out for a new 2017 1LE.......gonna be a BEAST. And 300 lbs lighter.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/...A2C534B1761EF0
And thousands more expensive
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #19
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
I've owned a 2010 LT for about half a year now, and thinking about upgrading into an SS this spring. This Camaro is my first actual "Fast Car" and yes i know, in overall aspect of things its really not that fast, but from previously owning nothing but pickups this thing is a long shot from them and loads of fun Anyways, Im curious of some car buy/sell sites you guys recommend to check? I've always only ever bought vehicles locally but going to broaden the horizon and look within 500 miles or so of my area for the right car/deal. I'm going to probably look into getting a 2010 2ss, as they will be cheapest (I would have to imagine anyway... lol)

Also a few questions, what should i look out for as far as issues with that year? I'm just on the fence about getting rid of my current camaro and upgrading or not. the v6 has more get up and get then i thought it would and i have a blast driving it. I dont ever go to the track, but enjoy having fun every now and again. I would have loved to get an ss from the get go, but I'm just going back and fourth with the decision as obviously it will cost more, and one issue i need to sort out is how much insurance would increase, I'm 20 years old and insurance on my current car is 72 bucks but i worry it will skyrocket if i were to upgrade. Also with gas, is it required to run premium with v8s?

Looking for some motivation from you guys hopefully with your opinions
It's a great time to buy a used SS. A 2012 or 2013 would be my choice. One owner, well maintained above and beyond average, accurate maintenance records, always garaged, adult driven, never raced. Only mods considered would be quality exhaust upgrades and a professional tune. I would be willing to travel a good ways to fine a car like that. My car is a loaded SS that would be an exceptional buy for anyone looking for a quality used SS. Selling it has been on my mind. PM me if you're interested.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #20
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
I had a 2010 1SS/RS, put 93,000 miles on it with no issues. No regrets on getting the SS from me.
As others have stated, maintenance is more ($80 for an oil change, premium gas, etc.), but it was worth it for me.
You can't go wrong either way, though. Both are great vehicles.
SLP Loudmouth II Axleback
Hurst Shifter
R1Concepts Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #21
dale88jrdew
Brad

Drives: 2016 2LT/RS
I just upgraded last month from my 2010 LT1 (Synergy Green - which was hard to get rid of) to a 2014 2SS/RS convertible. There is a ton of difference between the two in my opinion. I was surprised the difference in the ride between the two - I know the SS has the sport suspension but I didn't know it was that different from the 1LT. Took a little getting used to the extra 'jarring' - but it's a sports car, so I'm not going to complain.

I did the fuse pull and started using 93 premium gas and could tell a difference from when I bought it (used - so the gas prior to me owning was the cheap stuff). I'm filling up more often - gas mileage is of course less.

My insurance did go up $10/mo.

For SURE there is a difference when you step on that pedal. You can get going and not realize how fast you are going real quick. Overall the features, upgrades and options are a plus - of course going from the 10 to the 14 the interior and body changes.

Overall I'm excited and glad that I have the opportunity to own an SS and can see what everyone has been talking about. I have the added bonus of the vert as well.

If you can do it - go for it!
dale88jrdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #22
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
My car is a loaded SS that would be an exceptional buy for anyone looking for a quality used SS. Selling it has been on my mind. PM me if you're interested.
There you go!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #23
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
If you can afford it I say for it.

We are living in the modern muscle car era and it's a great time to be driving V8 cars again.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #24
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I have to agree with the above poster, it has been a long time (35 years for me) to wait to drive V8 Muscle Cars again. I have a 2010 2SS L99. I bought it off craigslist. An older couple in their 70s had it and were the original owners, they ordered it from GM. It was garaged and not used much but it did have 27 k miles, not bad for a 5 year old car at the time. All I can say is take your time and wait for the right deal. I saved about $7K from buying the same car from a dealer. I would not buy anything that has been modded if I were you, luckily I found the right car at a great price, and it wasn't abused. I ended up really liking the A6 better, never thought I would but I'm good not shifting through the gears but I'm not 20 either.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Had a 45th anniv. 12 RS fully loaded minus sunroof (love the roof lines). The 1LE came out in 13 and had to have one. Sold the RS and bought the 2SS/RS 1LE, fully loaded, minus sunroof. Granted I was in my mid 30s, but my insurace went DOWN with the 1LE, no idea how that math works, but $180 cheaper every 6 months.

I have 0 regrets, but as others have mentioned, do it for you, not others idiotic comments. I LOVED my V6 RS, not in a p__sing match with anyone, I just wanted the first and last yr of the original 5th gen 1LE. Since 13s did not come with Recaro options, I added Recaros, Z28 intake and couple other ZL1 parts that add to the style of the car.

If this is your daily driver, the SS will be more expensive with gas and generally a more difficult car to live with than the V6. I would definately reach out to GM TOOL if you're serious, thats an awesome car
Old 02-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #26
RedRocket2012

Drives: 2012 2SS-RS
I understand you wanting to graduate to a V8 I originally decided to buy a used V6 as a daily driver from a Chevy dealer. I was surprised when he didn't come down much off the asking price, so for 3K more I settled for a 2012 2SS/RS. I cant tell you how glad I am I did not get the V6. This car is a real gem, It's a M6, and it's a monster, sometimes a beast to drive. I decided to keep my old daily drive (2000 Cougar 215K miles) and baby this one for a few years. .Check out the video

RedRocket2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #27
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
I love my SS.. But you already have a car... Wouldn't it be cheaper to spend more time here
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #28
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentnshell View Post
I love my SS.. But you already have a car... Wouldn't it be cheaper to spend more time here
I would disagree. I've been around cars a long time. Not comfortable with taking a car designed for 325hp and cramming turbos and NOS into it. If you do it properly, chassis, drivetrain, etc, then you're looking at big bucks. Given the price today of a well taken care of 10-14 SS, I'd go the SS route.