Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #29
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
No such thing as best. Nobody knows, could actually be best not to have one at all.
Actually, it's pretty much been proven that any catch can is better than NO catch can at all with Direct Injection engines....it's just a matter of which ones perform their intended purpose the best.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #30
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutchman View Post
I run a Mickey Mouse on the right and a Minnie Mouse on the left. Thinking of installing a Goofy in the middle.
what waste of money adding Goofy.
Me, I just add a quart of water to the tank at every fill up and it dissolves all the carbon, keeps it clean.
Been looking to upgrade to the intravenous one way adapter where the hose from the dirty side is attached into the fuel line, the oil is injected into the cylinders along with the gas direct and keeping the intake clean. No need to empty a catch can.
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #31
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosted View Post
Actually, it's pretty much been proven that any catch can is better than NO catch can at all with Direct Injection engines....it's just a matter of which ones perform their intended purpose the best.
Well my post was pertaining to the OP's L99. I don't have a CC on mine and at 47K miles my intake is very clean. If I raced my car I would probably have one, I would also probably have an engine/car with a lot of modifications. Which CC is recommended the best?(per OP's first post) Who knows?

I just bought a new Equinox with the V6 DI. I really don't want a CC. I would like to see some real life mileage numbers on longevity comparisons of engines with and without CC's. The differences in how people use, drive, and maintain their cars means everything. It's possible that and engine without a CC gets more trouble free longevity than an engine with one.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #32
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Quote:
Well my post was pertaining to the OP's L99. I don't have a CC on mine and at 47K miles my intake is very clean. If I raced my car I would probably have one, I would also probably have an engine/car with a lot of modifications. Which CC is recommended the best?(per OP's first post) Who knows?

I just bought a new Equinox with the V6 DI. I really don't want a CC. I would like to see some real life mileage numbers on longevity comparisons of engines with and without CC's. The differences in how people use, drive, and maintain their cars means everything. It's possible that and engine without a CC gets more trouble free longevity than an engine with one.
I highly doubt that, I'm almost positive there are no negatives to running a (good) catch can. Air still flows through it perfectly fine, all it's doing is condensing the oil vapor
Old 02-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #33
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:

Carbon and oil buildup on the back of the intake valves will, in no universe, lead to better performance and longevity. It's simply impeding airflow into the engine.

All PCV systems suck oil, and on a DI application, all hot intake valves will hold onto a bit of that oil as it crosses the valve plane. It's actually considered common sense in the engine world at this point.

But good luck with that.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #34
1Canuck

Quote:
Carbon and oil buildup on the back of the intake valves will, in no universe, lead to better performance and longevity. It's simply impeding airflow into the engine.

All PCV systems suck oil, and on a DI application, all hot intake valves will hold onto a bit of that oil as it crosses the valve plane. It's actually considered common sense in the engine world at this point.

But good luck with that.
carbon inside the cylinder has been shown to cause pre ignition, so not good. I have yet to see a flow test showing that carbon on the valve stem restricts flow. I imagine if it was 10 times the amounts that have been pictured, then perhaps.
and I cannot shake the fact that a catch can of high quality only catches 30% of the oil as stated by a rep of said catch can.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #35
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Canuck View Post
carbon inside the cylinder has been shown to cause pre ignition, so not good. I have yet to see a flow test showing that carbon on the valve stem restricts flow. I imagine if it was 10 times the amounts that have been pictured, then perhaps.
and I cannot shake the fact that a catch can of high quality only catches 30% of the oil as stated by a rep of said catch can.
I would think that carbon buildup on a valve would reduce flow. Maybe not by much, but probably to some degree.

Even if it is 30%, 30% less oil in my intake manifold and engine is worth it to me for a catch can
Old 02-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #36
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post
I would think that carbon buildup on a valve would reduce flow. Maybe not by much, but probably to some degree.

Even if it is 30%, 30% less oil in my intake manifold and engine is worth it to me for a catch can
Lol, exactly. It's like saying "well vaccines don't prevent 100% of cases, so might as well not get them!"

Old 02-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #37
1Canuck

Take my advice and "do whatever you want"
Old 02-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #38
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Why pay more? Until we can get a look inside and verify that it's actually using proper condensation and separation methods, you'd be paying more for proper oil collection...which is a pretty good reason, if you ask me.
Oh its proper condensation and precise separation and only $89
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #39
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryfied View Post
Oh its proper condensation and precise separation and only $89
We're taking whose word on that, yours? Do you have links to testing and/or images of the catch can's internal workings? Judging by the pics on the site, it doesn't look nearly big enough to allow for cooling of the crankcase gases to allow for proper condensation of oil vapor....nor does it look to have the inlet and outlet separated enough.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #40
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:

I just bought a new Equinox with the V6 DI. I really don't want a CC. I would like to see some real life mileage numbers on longevity comparisons of engines with and without CC's. The differences in how people use, drive, and maintain their cars means everything. It's possible that an engine without a CC gets more trouble free longevity than an engine with one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post
I highly doubt that, I'm almost positive there are no negatives to running a (good) catch can. Air still flows through it perfectly fine, all it's doing is condensing the oil vapor
Quote:

But good luck with that.

Communicating with someone face to face doesn't always work let alone key board to key board (My fault). I don't want a CC, I'm not saying anything negative about them. If I can't buy a vehicle and drive it for a lot of years and put a couple hundred thousand miles on it buy just doing regular maintenance then it was my mistake to buy that vehicle. What I meant in my sentence in Bold was, for example a hypothetical situation.

You can give two different people the same exact vehicle, I mean exact/cloned. I know that's impossible but this is a hypothetical example. One vehicle has a CC and one does not. It's just possible by the way the person without a CC drives and maintains their vehicle that they have less problems and put a lot more trouble free miles with more longevity on their vehicle/engine than the person with the CC.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #41
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
Lets put is like this, I have a SC setup and my catch can is mounted on the dirty side, I don't drive my car very often (2010 w/ 24k) however when I do drive it, I have to empty the CC about every third time or so. The can fills up quickly.
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #42
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
We're taking whose word on that, yours? Do you have links to testing and/or images of the catch can's internal workings? Judging by the pics on the site, it doesn't look nearly big enough to allow for cooling of the crankcase gases to allow for proper condensation of oil vapor....nor does it look to have the inlet and outlet separated enough.
You're right, you do come off as an asshole and what's up with your isis looking "ghosted" font? My catch can works just fine for $89 and yes, take my word for it... asshole!
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote