The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-13-2016, 10:50 PM   #7267
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
I'm not the best one here to recommend a brand since I have only owned one AR. However, I think it's good to know your options.

For starters, the Sporter models generally have no rails, no forward assist, come with a fixed tall front sight, and a crude trigger. I'm sure I missed something, but this is the entry level rifle with limited options.

Step up to the tactical models and they may not come with any sights, but have rails to hang flip sights, scopes, foregrips, lights, lazers, bipods, grenade launchers, night scopes, heavier barrels, etc.
Hmmm....this is very true since most of us put on some type of optic anyway. As far as teigger pull, most of us are happy to shoot 1 inch at 50 yards. I realize that some are looking for pin point accuracy. AR's are very accurate right out of the box. Even with regular iron sights you're going to damn near hit everything your aiming at. AK 's are a little more tough to get those sub moe's but it can be done. It all depends on what you want. Personally, i can hit, and maybe extinguish your existence with an AK at 100 yards......with an AR, even easier.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:39 AM   #7268
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXLT1 View Post
I'm sure a build is going to cost more than $600 though. I've never built one but why build one for 600 when you can buy it for that much. Builds are custom to what you want. A better way to go if you have the $$. Get it soon though. With all of the shootings happening we most likely won't see these sport gun for very much longer. Because of a few idiots, lives are destroyed and the honest gun owners will be the ones paying for it. Sad.
Believe it or not you can actually build a AR cheaper than you can buy one with the same options, if you keep an eye out for sales you can actually save about $100. However for someone new to the AR platform, I wouldn't recommend this route.

Honestly, I'm not worried about them banning these guns cause they can't. The 1994 ban that they keep throwing around actually prevents them from banning these guns again. That ban put in place federal laws that prevents the government from banning guns that are considered common and have sold more than a certain number. At last count that are over 5 million AR style rifles sold in the US. This number places the AR in the very common bracket and well over the threshold set in place that the government say it can't go over to be banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
I'm not the best one here to recommend a brand since I have only owned one AR. However, I think it's good to know your options.

For starters, the Sporter models generally have no rails, no forward assist, come with a fixed tall front sight, and a crude trigger. I'm sure I missed something, but this is the entry level rifle with limited options.

Step up to the tactical models and they may not come with any sights, but have rails to hang flip sights, scopes, foregrips, lights, lazers, bipods, grenade launchers, night scopes, heavier barrels, etc.
While I do agree with this, keep in mind that everything on an AR can be taken off and swapped out with minimal effort, EXCEPT for the upper receiver and barrel. You need to decide if you want a flat top receiver or one with a built in carrying handle and what length barrel, with 16" being the most common but you can buy them with up to 24" for some extra money. Everything else you can buy later and swap out the parts as time or money allows. Remember most of the time you can buy a base model and add the parts you want cheaper than buy an upgraded model that already has them installed.

AR's are like cars, once you start modding it's hard to stop. One of my AR's I have, I have put in over $2,500 in it with plans to do more. Hell the butt stock alone that I want cost $500.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #7269
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Honestly, I'm not worried about them banning these guns cause they can't. The 1994 ban that they keep throwing around actually prevents them from banning these guns again. That ban put in place federal laws that prevents the government from banning guns that are considered common and have sold more than a certain number. At last count that are over 5 million AR style rifles sold in the US. This number places the AR in the very common bracket and well over the threshold set in place that the government say it can't go over to be banned.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. So far, the local and state level bans have not been successfully overturned, and SCOTUS is remaining fairly silent on the issue. The only reason it's not pushed at the Federal level is lack of support. That could change over the next couple of years. I would say it's not time to freak out or anything, but don't get complacent.

That said, for those looking to build cheap ARs, I always keep my eye on Palmetto for lower parts kits sales, or finished uppers on sale.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #7270
PHXLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I wouldn't be so sure of that. So far, the local and state level bans have not been successfully overturned, and SCOTUS is remaining fairly silent on the issue. The only reason it's not pushed at the Federal level is lack of support. That could change over the next couple of years. I would say it's not time to freak out or anything, but don't get complacent.

That said, for those looking to build cheap ARs, I always keep my eye on Palmetto for lower parts kits sales, or finished uppers on sale.
I'm not sure what else they can do about the guns. Other than make it so you have to register with every shooting range you attend ( we all know criminals and psychos will follow the law) and make it so you have to get a second mortgage just to go shooting. I don't know but it bugs me that im looked at by these liberals as a gun crazy nut. I just enjoy shooting.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
Old 06-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #7271
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
I'm not sure what else they can do about the guns. Other than make it so you have to register with every shooting range you attend ( we all know criminals and psychos will follow the law) and make it so you have to get a second mortgage just to go shooting. I don't know but it bugs me that im looked at by these liberals as a gun crazy nut. I just enjoy shooting.
Well Highland Park and the state of Connecticut have wide reaching bans on AR platforms, one of which is in the middle of a lawsuit. California and a couple others already banned AR platforms with detachable magazines not requiring the use of a tool, which the bullet button has so far gotten around. CA is currently attempting to make the bullet button illegal as well in order to classify the AR platform as an actual assault weapon to put it on par with machine guns. It also has effectively banned numerous handguns by utilizing this "not unsafe" roster of approved handguns. And they are a model for many other states to follow suit. And to make matters worse, the legislatures are not responsible for determining whether or not a law is Constitutional. They leave that to the courts, which have become politicized as well. All they need is support in their majority.

The main problem is that, even if these bans are found to be unconstitutional, the legal process to get them overturned takes years. There isn't the amount of money or time to fight them all. It doesn't seem so bad when you look at federal legislation, but at the state level some places are becoming absurd. It's only a matter of time before those laws move elsewhere.

I hear you though... I don't like being lumped in as a "gun nut" because I enjoy a hobby that others disapprove of. I also hate that I feel like I have to oppose every new piece of legislation that gets proposed purely on the basis that I don't think it's ever going to be enough for those who don't share my views. I just try to educate as many people as I can and show them we're not all lunatics, and ignore the rest.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #7272
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
For some reason, people just can't seem to understand there are people out there who just enjoy shooting and guns as a hobby. The self defense aspect of it is just an added bonus for me.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #7273
PHXLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
For some reason, people just can't seem to understand there are people out there who just enjoy shooting and guns as a hobby. The self defense aspect of it is just an added bonus for me.
Bingo! A hobby, a sport, just something i enjoy doing. If i can protect my family, as you said, a bonus. I know they'll say the answer to this night club tragedy is not more guns but i tell you what. If i had been at that club with my guns, there would only 1 dead........the shooter himself. Ugh, just frustrated!
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
Old 06-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #7274
PHXLT1

Sorry guys. I know this isn't the place to talk about this and id hate to get this thread locked because of my rants. Its really frustrating for my love of this hobby , as well as the millions of others who enjoy this sport, to be banned over the actions of a few.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
Old 06-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #7275
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
There's a 'edit' option
Old 06-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #7276
PHXLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
There's a 'edit' option

Nah, I want to make my feelings known, just not at the expense of locking a thread.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
Old 06-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #7277
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
No plans to build one, so look at a $500 Del-ton?
-Bobby
Not sure anyone addressed this yet.
I see them online a lot.
Anyone here have advice on this or any other $500 factory ARs?
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #7278
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Sorry guys. I know this isn't the place to talk about this and id hate to get this thread locked because of my rants. Its really frustrating for my love of this hobby , as well as the millions of others who enjoy this sport, to be banned over the actions of a few.
It OFFENDS me also
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #7279
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
So I'm currently in the academy for the FHP Auxiliary, and since we aren't full time troopers (or paid...), we aren't being issued patrol rifles. We can, however, use a personally owned AR-15 on duty if we qualify.

So with that being said and considering the current political climate, I'm thinking an S&W M&P15 Sport II is my best bet cost/quality wise.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:11 PM   #7280
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
So I'm currently in the academy for the FHP Auxiliary, and since we aren't full time troopers (or paid...), we aren't being issued patrol rifles. We can, however, use a personally owned AR-15 on duty if we qualify.

So with that being said and considering the current political climate, I'm thinking an S&W M&P15 Sport II is my best bet cost/quality wise.
I have one. I love it for the price point. We were shooting clay birds at 200 yds, leaning against a pole with only a red dot and no magnification. That will do the trick.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro gun