Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #85
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I drive from Connecticut to Massachusetts and back 3-4 days a week - 80 miles one way depending on where I get my dunkin'. I bought the car in April of last year and drove it to work and back the whole time. The only other vehicle I will take to work is my bike when we start seeing higher than 60 degrees at 4:00 am. The Camaro is my only daily driver. Edit: I'm currently sitting at nearly 30K miles of fun!

My response when people laugh at me for my car choice:

1) I spend 2+ hours a day in my car, I refuse to buy a "winter beater" or a "commuter" car because, quite simply, I want my drive to be enjoyable and I want to feel cool in my sweet ass car.

2) Highway miles are easy miles. "But the depreciation?" they say. Well, I'll either pay it off and keep as a project, or I'll trade up to a newer model. I measure my car's value in my pleasure driving it, not the dollars I could have had if I banished it to the garage.

3) Winter driving? The Camaro has a pretty even weight distridution so it performs markedly better than a truck does in low traction conditions and it is heavy. With decent tires, gentle hands/feet and a consciousness for the power, it performs admirably in snowy conditions. I speak from experience - 5 winters in 2 Camaros and I've never been stuck, lost control, or even felt like I was in over my head. And we've had some doozies for storms. (I'll admit, the gearing and torque of the 1LE vs. my old 1LT gave me some flutters but I'm nothing if not adaptive)

4) Fuel prices / maintenance? Well, technically there's more cost involved... but a previous post already did the math as far as fuel and the savings are marginal. Not worth it, really.

5) Places like Camaro5. Seriously - have you seen other forums? I won't trash talk, but I looked at several other vehicles - Focus ST, Subaru BRZ / STI, Audi A4/5/6... And nowhere did I find a community as cohesive, well informed, organized, and generally speaking positive as camaro5. I like learning new vehicles, there's a challenge there but the community and wealth of information on C5 is really pretty impressive. Seems silly that that would even be a factor, but it certainly was for me.

Last edited by terry_b; 03-15-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: miles
terry_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #86
BriteCrawler

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
I drive from Connecticut to Massachusetts and back 3-4 days a week - 80 miles one way depending on where I get my dunkin'. I bought the car in April of last year and drove it to work and back the whole time. The only other vehicle I will take to work is my bike when we start seeing higher than 60 degrees at 4:00 am. The Camaro is my only daily driver. Edit: I'm currently sitting at nearly 30K miles of fun!

My response when people laugh at me for my car choice:

1) I spend 2+ hours a day in my car, I refuse to buy a "winter beater" or a "commuter" car because, quite simply, I want my drive to be enjoyable and I want to feel cool in my sweet ass car.

2) Highway miles are easy miles. "But the depreciation?" they say. Well, I'll either pay it off and keep as a project, or I'll trade up to a newer model. I measure my car's value in my pleasure driving it, not the dollars I could have had if I banished it to the garage.

3) Winter driving? The Camaro has a pretty even weight distridution so it performs markedly better than a truck does in low traction conditions and it is heavy. With decent tires, gentle hands/feet and a consciousness for the power, it performs admirably in snowy conditions. I speak from experience - 5 winters in 2 Camaros and I've never been stuck, lost control, or even felt like I was in over my head. And we've had some doozies for storms. (I'll admit, the gearing and torque of the 1LE vs. my old 1LT gave me some flutters but I'm nothing if not adaptive)

4) Fuel prices / maintenance? Well, technically there's more cost involved... but a previous post already did the math as far as fuel and the savings are marginal. Not worth it, really.

5) Places like Camaro5. Seriously - have you seen other forums? I won't trash talk, but I looked at several other vehicles - Focus ST, Subaru BRZ / STI, Audi A4/5/6... And nowhere did I find a community as cohesive, well informed, organized, and generally speaking positive as camaro5. I like learning new vehicles, there's a challenge there but the community and wealth of information on C5 is really pretty impressive. Seems silly that that would even be a factor, but it certainly was for me.
Really couldn't have said it better. I've got 32k on my 14. Right there with ya!
BriteCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote