Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
Opticflare9

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Brand new 2015 Camaro 2LS. Couple really novice questions please?

Hello all,

So.. these questions are going to be probably very noobish and amateur so I appreciate anyone willing to be patient with me. I am a brand new Camaro owner, I just purchased a 2015 Camaro 2LS and right now it has only 350 miles on it. This is my first sports car and brand new car period. My previous car I was driving was a 2013 Impala LTZ that I bought 1 year old used. I traded it in for this Camaro. I just have a couple questions.

1. First question is the exhaust. I know this sounds really dumb, but it's almost like the exhaust is not sounding what I was expecting. When I accelerate, I almost hear a very kind of high pitched sound that has a wind up noise to it. It doesn't quite sound deep or as growly as my Impala's engine did, which from my understanding is the same exact engine as the Camaro, it sounded much better. Could there really be something wrong with my brand new car or am I just not used to how a Camaro sounds? I realize it's only a V6, but the wind up noise I'm getting just sounds strange, and it just doesn't sound quite as low as I expected it too. When I test drove a different brand new 2015 several months ago I recalled hearing this same noise.. but I don't know, obviously this car is bone stock.. and brand new. Is it because it's brand new and still needs breaking in? Any input here is greatly appreciated.

2. When I bought the car on the back bumper I actually noticed just the ever so slightest chip in the paint, it is so small that you have to look for it, but it's there. You can run your fingernail over it and it catches onto it. My local dealer said they would take a look at it.. only problem is my the dealership that I bought it from is a pretty long drive. Is this something any dealership could fix under a bumper to bumper warranty or will only the dealer I bought it from fix issues like these?

3. Does anyone have any advice for finding comfortable driving positions? I'm 5'8-5'9 and I have the seat pressed all the way back, and my leg still manages to cramp pretty well when driving to and from work, which is a 20 mile commute. The leg room definitely isn't as good as it was in my Impala, but long drives in this car is pretty uncomfortable after awhile. If anyone has advice here on what works for them, I will listen. I'm usually used to sitting pretty far back.

4. Is there still a "break in" period for the engine or new car in general? I have heard so many different answers. Right now I've been driving it pretty gently other then the times I rev it and accelerate to listen to the exhaust.

5. Any advice on where to go for winding tinting? I imagine dealerships charge quite a bit. Just wondering if anyone has good advice to get the windows tinted at a good cost. I live in Arizona and definitely want sun protection and having the windows darker for privacy will be nice.

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions, if anyone can take the time to help out a total new Camaro noob I will be in your debt. Thanks.
Opticflare9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
EWade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
Well there's nothing wrong with your Camaro these V6 engines do sound a little different than one in an Impala, although the 3.6 in the Impala I think is a little different.

Technically you should be able to go to ANY GM dealership about the chip in the rear bumper, will it be covered depends on what they will do.

I'm 5'11" and drive my 15 Camaro 25 miles one way, the seat isn't all the way back but is at it's lowest height and I have no issue with comfort over driving time.

As for break in, I just drive it like I've driven everything else I've owned, granted I do take it easy when it's cold, but just drive normally.

Never seen a dealership that does window tinting, but you should look into local shops that tint windows, or ask the dealership of ones they may have sent vehicles to for tinting. Not knowing your area I wouldn't have a clue as to what you'd be looking at in price, but where I'm at it ranges, one guy will do all the sides and back for 90.00, and other shops around here go from 220.00 to close to 300.00 for the same, all offer a warranty.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
just read this

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307690
Old 02-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
Opticflare9

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Thanks. Reading that was helpful. I've tried to compare my exhaust to some online videos and sound of the acceleration but they definitely sound a bit different, I know recording devices make it sound a bit different, maybe I'm being paranoid.. but it just sounds higher pitched and has a whining noise to it kind of, it sort of "winds up" as it accelerates unless it's in higher RPMs. I don't know, very hard to explain.

EDIT:

Here is a good example, if you notice that "whining" sound? It's pretty loud inside the interior when accelerating.
Opticflare9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Which dealer did you pick up the car from, if you don't mind me asking? Courtesy Chevrolet in Phoenix did a complimentary tint job on mine when I bought it Certified Pre Owned.

And as for the bumper-to-bumper warranty on the paint imperfection, any GM dealer should be able to handle that one, no problem.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #6
grahak2

Drives: 2021 scatpack challenger 6spd cinna
I Live in AZ too and am about the same height at 5ft8. If the leg room is not the length but the height under the wheel you could make sure your steering wheel is adjusted all the way to the top.

Kevin
grahak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Much love for you other AZ guys. We'll get together one day!

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #8
War Damn Eagle

Drives: 2014 1SS 1/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opticflare9 View Post
3. Does anyone have any advice for finding comfortable driving positions? I'm 5'8-5'9 and I have the seat pressed all the way back, and my leg still manages to cramp pretty well when driving to and from work, which is a 20 mile commute. The leg room definitely isn't as good as it was in my Impala, but long drives in this car is pretty uncomfortable after awhile. If anyone has advice here on what works for them, I will listen. I'm usually used to sitting pretty far back.
I'm 6'3" and have no problem. I keep the seat fairly low and honestly have it nowhere near all the way back. Maybe we just have different preferences. I would just keep messing with it until you can find a comfortable seating position.
War Damn Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
grahak2

Drives: 2021 scatpack challenger 6spd cinna
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosted View Post
Much love for you other AZ guys. We'll get together one day!
Hi,

Sounds good!

Kevin
grahak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
tmaleck

Drives: Replacement 2SS 'Vert 67 Cutlass
Congrats on the new car, great choice.

I have a bad back (and I'm big guy) and seating is always an issue when I buy new car. My 2LT felt great from the get go, but my 2SS has taken some time. What I have found works for me is to lower the seat front and back to the stops. Then, lifting up in the center of the adjuster lever, I bring both front and back of the seat bottom up together about an inch. I then raise the rear of the seat bottom another 1/2" to 1 inch. This gets the seat angle about right. I then adjust the seat back angle until I feel the weight transfer from my shoulders to my lower back and upper hips. I set the front/ back all the way back and fine tune from there.

I wish I didn't know this procedure, but everyone who drives the car (technician, valet, hand car wash kid, etc.) wants to pretend it's their car and they hose up the seat adjustment and I start all over.

In terms of exhaust, I think age has a lot to do with with it. I'm 55 and outgrew straight pipes a long time ago. I had a magnaflow cat back on my V6 and I really liked it. Sounded a lot like the early European Supercars of the 70's and 80's. A noticeable idle sound, and a midrange tone under acceleration with enough sound to bring out that full throttle grin. You could still talk over if at normal throttle and highways speeds.

Hope this helps,
Tim
tmaleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
BriteCrawler

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I'm taller and larger than you. In both the SS I had and current ZL1, I can't touch the pedals with the seat all the way back. Maybe see if the track is hung on the seat or something?
BriteCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote