Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Cloth Top issues

Hey, I just noticed last night that i have a spot wearing in the canvas above my passenger side window just like so many others . My top was replaced in January just before I bought the car and has less than 3,000 miles on it. I was looking at what could cause this and I noticed that on the passenger side the spot that is wearing through is pinched between a black plastic rib and a hard plastic tab, that is pretty sharp, when the roof closes. On the drivers side the tab actually folds behind the plastic rib. I looked at it further and the plastic tab cut through the slight piece of foam that was installed inside the canvas. I am planning to take the car in to get the top replaced. However I am thinking that if I shorten the plastic tab by sanding it down it shouldn't pinch the canvas and cause it to rub through. I might even add additional padding to the tab I was wondering if anyone that has this problem has noticed this same thing/ has tried to do this? I will post pictures as soon as I can.

This sucks because this is by far the most fun car I have had but I'm not down for dealing with this. I don't care about the shiny rub spots as this will take a long time to cause any real damage but the top getting a hole in it is unacceptable.

edit: the picture below shows the rib and tab I am referring to. Like I said they are on both sides but seem to only pinch the fabric on the passenger side.
Attached Images

Last edited by RolltideSS; 05-05-2013 at 03:26 PM.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Do a search. There are many detail threads regarding the rub marks, what may cause them , and what others have doe to try and correct it themselves.

It's your choice whether to try and rectify the rubbing on your own knowing that by doing so you 'might' negate the warranty on your top, or you take it to the dealer to have them replace the top under waranty.

there are pro's and con's of both approches as aothers will point out.

Me, I'd take it to the dealer.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
I just had my top replaced and I am fairly happy with the effort my dealer has made. The top isn't perfect, but it should only need a few minor adjustments to make it right.
Btw, thanks for posting that pic, I was just about to ask if anyone could take a pick of the strap connection points so I could see if they were riveted on correctly on my top.

In answer to your question, yes, I believe that the dealership should have made the fix to the mechanism on your top (including trimming tabs) before they put the new top on.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hworth18 View Post
In answer to your question, yes, I believe that the dealership should have made the fix to the mechanism on your top (including trimming tabs) before they put the new top on.
Awesome, I will be taking it in in a couple weeks to have them replace the new top since there is a spot and will definitely check to make sure they do that this time.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertible, rub mark, top