The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
bnall40

Drives: Z51 3LT, 2009 Pilot, 2012 Ody Tours
OK Folks, here's the deal:
The C6, as fantastic as it was, gained the reputation of an "old folks car" ... with lots of Auto trans sold. GM very much wants to appeal to the younger crowd and displace the European studs, and sell a bunch!. The C7 is it! It is fantastic in every respect but the "link" (GM thinks), to the young crowd, is clutch and shift. Most are programmed to think manual shift is where it's at!
... But not necessarily! .... Corvette Racing, if you have watched Tommy Milner closely, uses auto - paddle shift. It's instantaneous! Formula One does also, - for them, it's all on the steering wheel. But the racing mindset of most amateurs is "clutch and shift". ... However, ... Auto paddle is faster! Even Tadge Juechter has hinted to this if you listen closely. GM wants sales right now. Most young buyers will buy manual with the sexy but helpful auto blip "Rev Matching", - until they eventually learn where the speed really is! Then they will go and buy auto paddle. More sales!
Controversial HUH? Check it for yourself! GM will hate me for this! Maybe not, I just bought a 73K C7, ...with auto paddle of course! The car is a masterpiece of engineering!
bnall40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Erik@lashway

Drives: Camaros, Vettes, Trucks
Good news, I have an AUTO car at the shop...and will be TESTING it. Belongs to a customer. It's NASTY. Z51, 3LT, AUTOMATIC.

We're going to compare dyno runs, and street performance to our very own C7 with the manual trans.

Stay tuned.
Erik@lashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
C7vette

Drives: 2009 CLK550
I agree auto trans could be faster than a manual but you need to go to a DCT, most slushboxes I have driven have a lag when you shift. I think a manual still gives you better control vs a slushbox but a DCT is whole different ball game.
C7vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Picking up my C7 today, 400 mile ride home to break it in, going to the dyno in a couple days and the track this weekend. I will post up numbers soon.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
Picking up my C7 today, 400 mile ride home to break it in, going to the dyno in a couple days and the track this weekend. I will post up numbers soon.
Congrats! If urr2slo is any guide, I'd expect to see you doing some great things to it!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The 6 speed auto seems good. Only a few hundred miles on it so far.

Was going to head out to the track but the car is getting picked up by American Racing Headers for them to mock up a full header back system.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
the car magazine's just about never test Corvette's with auto's or Base suspension. The only time Motor Trend ever tested a C6 like that was a convertible in 05'.
it was the same thing with the Camaro. pretty much never test an auto.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
Pollickjp

Drives: 3LT all option minus competi seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6Z06dude View Post
Folks,

I am growing frustrated. I have in hand the motortrend car magazine from September, the Automobile magazine(September issue) and CAR AND DRIVER car magazine(September issue) as well and none of them tested the Auto transmission.

This is a deal breaker, I want to order my C7 vette this coming week but I will not order until I see a test of the Auto transmission.

Everyone swear up and down on the previous tremec TR6060(that is what I had on my 08 Z06) and it was garbage, "ever wonder why when I sold it the car had 4 other owners in less than 4 years?"

I look for any videos with the Auto transmission and I have seen a couple but not a real test yet. Like I said, this is a deal breaker, I am just waiting for a test.
MY 6SPEED AUTO GETTING TORQUE CONVERTER AND TORQUE TUBE REPLACED...WISH I WAITED FOR UPDATED AUTO TRANS BEFORE SPENDING 72.8K OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY FOR 3 WEEK OLD CAR SITTING AT DEALER FOR A WEEK...GET 7 SP MANUAL OR WAIT FOR DCT TRANS MY ADVICE
Pollickjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
OrionRain

Drives: 2010 Corvette Convertible
My C6 Corvette Convertible shifts so much faster with the paddle shifters than I ever could with the six and four-speed manuals I've owned. And I never drop revs. Owned a couple C4s back in the day, as well as a 1970 and a half Z28, that was blazing fast back in '71 (not to mention turbo Supra and 300ZX turbo Nissan).

I'm hoping to see an all-wheel drive, seven-speed or more automatic for future Corvettes. Tired of watching videos where lower horsepower Porsches and GTRs leave Vettes at the starting line. What the hell is launch control when it don't launch???

Jus' sayin'...
OrionRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionRain View Post
My C6 Corvette Convertible shifts so much faster with the paddle shifters than I ever could with the six and four-speed manuals I've owned. And I never drop revs. Owned a couple C4s back in the day, as well as a 1970 and a half Z28, that was blazing fast back in '71 (not to mention turbo Supra and 300ZX turbo Nissan).

I'm hoping to see an all-wheel drive, seven-speed or more automatic for future Corvettes. Tired of watching videos where lower horsepower Porsches and GTRs leave Vettes at the starting line. What the hell is launch control when it don't launch???

Jus' sayin'...
If you're worried about winning races, then I'd suggest a hp bump. For me though, I simply wouldn't buy a vette with an auto, regardless of how much faster it is than the manual. I have no problem racing another stock vette and losing because the other guy had an auto. The other guy might of won, but I know I had more fun racing, and that's all I care about. And on a side note: for those of you planning on running your vettes on a road course, stay away from the auto. The 6L80, in stock form at least, overheats in these situations. Manual is definitely the way to go there. (Unless of course GM comes out with a dual-clutch auto). Maybe if you intend on using it as a dedicated drag car, ok. Otherwise I'll pass.

Everything today seems to be about speed, and rightfully so. From a technology perspective, faster speeds, in a computer for example, is all that matters. In a car however, especially a sports car, I NEED a manual. I made the mistake of getting an auto (partly because it was my DD then) in my camaro, and traded it a year later because it just got too damn boring. In an auto sports car you're just along for the ride. You might as well be a passenger.

Now, if you have a medical condition that prevents you from driving a manual or you plan on sharing the car with your wife that might not know how to drive stick, that's another story.

Sorry to go off topic, OP, but I feel that's part of the reason the majority of car reviews don't include the automatic version. They probably believe that the majority of their viewers/readers are hardcore enthusiasts, in which case they really don't care about the auto. If Gm comes out with a dual clutch auto, that's different. I'm sure the reviewers will be all over that. But a plain jane 6L80? Not really.

*But, it's YOUR car and YOUR money. Do what YOU want. I'm just voicing my opinion*

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)

Last edited by S3XPanther; 11-18-2013 at 11:33 PM.
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #25
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnall40 View Post
OK Folks, here's the deal:
The C6, as fantastic as it was, gained the reputation of an "old folks car" ... with lots of Auto trans sold. GM very much wants to appeal to the younger crowd and displace the European studs, and sell a bunch!. The C7 is it! It is fantastic in every respect but the "link" (GM thinks), to the young crowd, is clutch and shift. Most are programmed to think manual shift is where it's at!
... But not necessarily! .... Corvette Racing, if you have watched Tommy Milner closely, uses auto - paddle shift. It's instantaneous! Formula One does also, - for them, it's all on the steering wheel. But the racing mindset of most amateurs is "clutch and shift". ... However, ... Auto paddle is faster! Even Tadge Juechter has hinted to this if you listen closely. GM wants sales right now. Most young buyers will buy manual with the sexy but helpful auto blip "Rev Matching", - until they eventually learn where the speed really is! Then they will go and buy auto paddle. More sales!
Controversial HUH? Check it for yourself! GM will hate me for this! Maybe not, I just bought a 73K C7, ...with auto paddle of course! The car is a masterpiece of engineering!
That is not an automatic. That is a manual trans without a clutch pedal. VERY different from a 6L80. And their job is to WIN races (or at least place close to the top). Unless you're a pro racer, simply being faster is none of your concern. Sure you want a fast car. But buying the auto version simply because it's "faster"? Not smart. You might as well just bought an MX-5 and dropped in an LS3 because that will rape most cars and save you tons of money.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)

Last edited by S3XPanther; 11-18-2013 at 11:30 PM.
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #26
Rirenterc7

Drives: 2014 Torch Red LT1
Any update on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@lashway View Post
Good news, I have an AUTO car at the shop...and will be TESTING it. Belongs to a customer. It's NASTY. Z51, 3LT, AUTOMATIC.

We're going to compare dyno runs, and street performance to our very own C7 with the manual trans.

Stay tuned.
Rirenterc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:30 AM   #27
mrrrkva

Drives: 2014 Stingray z51
If you are ever going to have a fun day at the track do not get the Automatic 6 speed. Even with the z51, it overheats, if you dont get the z51 forget about it. There are many threads on other forums that it overheats. If your not, and prefer the automatic, it works great.
mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote