Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #85
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
go to the dealer buy the V8. its just like buying any car.
i think your friend has a screw loose. or are you a just trolling.
no offense but your friend is an idiot if he thinks that's the only way to get a v8

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #86
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
just because most v6 owners bought their v8 this way does not mean you have to
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #87
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
You do know the secret V8 handshake, right?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #88
Azrael

Drives: 1LE
Coming from a 4th gen (and a modified turbo audi) I had been waiting for the right time to buy my 5th gen. The new garage got done and it was time. I was fine with an auto or a manual but HAD TO HAVE the 1LE based on the looks and suspension. After the fact I learned that it only came manual and with the LS3, and knowing what I know now I am glad I didn't pick up an automatic (not that you cant fix the shortcomings plus I have a bad habit of grenading automatics), but its money better spent elsewhere for me. Go get a V8 already, pick whichever transmission suits your driving style better

15' 1LE: CAI / Scoop / LT's / Retro Stainless / Ported TB / Catch Can / SCT X4 / Catch Can / AntiLaser Priority
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #89
thunderkyss

Drives: 2015 Red Hot SS/RS M6
If it hadn't been mentioned before, If I were you I'd make sure you get a 2013 or newer.

You get the upgraded FE4 suspension from 2012, but you also get the electric power steering & the my link reverse camera
Old 07-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #90
stmbulldogs

Drives: 2018 1SS
I just bought a L99. 2015. As far as the auto vs the manual, I went with auto because I drive a semi in the city all day long and the last thing I want to do is shift more gears when I'm driving my car. Drag racing, it is hard to beat an automatic.
stmbulldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #91
bluebonn
Texas

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot LS3
I bought a 2015 2SS LS3 and enjoy the hell out of it in the city traffic ! Shifting makes the drive to and from work just a blast !
Old 07-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #92
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
V6 = Clark Kent ----> Mild mannered and nice but Lois never really digs him. But you gotta start somewhere and he kind of looks like superman so not too hard to take.

V8 = Superman ----> It's where the shits at my man. Forget Lois you'll do better anyhow. You look similar to Clark but with a few minor aesthetic changes. You sound better (less dorky voice) and you move faster.

I went with the LS3 only because I have never driven manual and figured this was the kind of car which warranted a more spirited type of driving style which connects you to the car more-so than an auto will. But can't go wrong either way. The power will be there, the sound will be better in the LS3 though until you rip out that resonator and stop the cylinder deactivation.

Good luck and Enjoy
J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #93
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
The AFM on the auto is bloody awful. Gm should have disabled it for Sport Mode in the tranny. With that the Range completely changes that issue and is a must have mod IMHO. I didn't want to tune and risk losing the warranty.

The only gripe I have with my L99 V8 is a silly little vibe that occurs during certain RPMs as I accelerate usually around 1900 RPM.... I can feel a mild flutter (vibe) in the gas pedal and the steering wheel will shake lightly as well. It is not a tire issue. Dealer says it is normal to feel those things on a big V8.

Is this something more prevalent in the Auto hard to say. I think it is related somehow to the exhaust the L99 has....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #94
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Nothing like downshifting hard into 2nd dumping the clutch and just tearing up the rear tires. Drive both and see which you like more. The V8 EATS gas compared to the 6. The 1LE package is very nice, but more for the purist driver, the choice really is yours, it's worth it 100% and do me a favor. Don't buy an auto because "it produces faster slips" that's a machine improvement not driver improvement,many seem to forget that. But an auto or manual because you want it. But from my experience the satisfaction of doing it yourself cannot be put into words, it's a dying art but a art worth mastering.
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #95
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Why I bought the v8 SS. When I was shopping, not even sure I wanted a Camaro...(looking at LS2 Vettes and Camaros at the time) I had come across a nice convertible V6 2RS.

I went with the SS, not because I street race, or love smokey burn outs, but because the overall collection of parts and reputation of the engine seemed a better package. In normal driving, which is me 99% of the time, I simply believe the LS3 with the TR6060 and Brembo brakes etc. was simply going to give me a better and more reliable driving experience. Not that the V6's are bad engines in any way. It is simply the reputation of the small block V8's and the LS engines in particular of the course of the last nearly 2 decades, that finalized the choice.

Of course the rumble, and the occaisional smokey burnout are icing on the cake.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote