Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #85
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Then I read this over at CZ28 posted by the FBodFather.....

"oh dear GOD.........

.........let us repeat in unison:

"GM does not invite magazines to meetings"............

........it is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to tell you how much the car will weigh........

.........CUZ WE AREN'T DONE YET!!!!!

dang --- gotta start drinking the 'decaf!'"
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #86
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whiterag View Post
I am standing in the shadows........listening and smiling........
So no little hints then please
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #87
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
So no little hints then please
Read here

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508502
Old 03-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #88
IROC'em

Drives: Chevy 1500 5.7L Vortec
... GM insiders have blabbed to HOT ROD the range of potential powertrain options for the new Chevy ponycar. There will be two V-6 choices and at least three V-8s, including a 550hp version of the supercharged 6.2L V-8 for a high-content Z28 model. Sources indicate there will be two base V-8s, one stick and one automatic, both of them over 400hp.

Said something about weight being ~3,750

My mind cant comprehend this. It would also point to the Z/28 being top dog.
IROC'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #89
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC'em View Post
... GM insiders have blabbed to HOT ROD the range of potential powertrain options for the new Chevy ponycar. There will be two V-6 choices and at least three V-8s, including a 550hp version of the supercharged 6.2L V-8 for a high-content Z28 model. Sources indicate there will be two base V-8s, one stick and one automatic, both of them over 400hp.

Said something about weight being ~3,750

My mind cant comprehend this. It would also point to the Z/28 being top dog.
Yes it would, which, as i have said for the beginning, i don't really care about. i am much more interested in the performance specs than the name.

One part I am confused about is the point about 3 V8s. It says one is the s.c 6.2, but then it says there will be 2 base V8s, one automatic and one manual, both over 400HP... that part is confusing. At least 3 V8s one of which is the S/C... so are they saying that the auto and manual are the other 2 V8s? The way it is worded makes it seem as though the auto and manual will get different V8s, not that the auto/manual tranny will be an option on all V8s.

Anyone else confused by that statement?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #90
IROC'em

Drives: Chevy 1500 5.7L Vortec
They will have 2 entry V8's both available in either stick or auto. And I didnt mean I couldnt comprehend the Z bein top, I cant comprehend the HP ratings this thing is sayin the maro will get.
IROC'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #91
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC'em View Post
And I didnt mean I couldnt comprehend the Z bein top, I cant comprehend the HP ratings this thing is sayin the maro will get.
Ahhhh.... sorry, I misunderstood...
Old 03-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #92
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Interesting info from Hot Rod magazine...

On p39 of the new May issue, they are talking about the new Camaro, and at the end of the article, the mentioned something interesting:

"However, GM insiders have blabbed to HOT ROD the range of potential powertrain options for the new Chevy ponycar. THere will be two V-6 choices and at least three V-8's, including a 550hp version of the supercharged 6.2L V-8 for a high-content Z28 model. Sources indicate there will be two base V-8's, one stick and one automatic, both of them over 400hp."

I thought this was some intersting info/rumor that was worth passing along... they also have some nice pictures of the supercharger in it (though I think this is the supercharger from the STS-V).

They are also estimating the weight (of the convertible I think) to be 3750lbs... sounds heavy to me, but in the ballpark certainly.

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:05 AM   #93
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
One part I am confused about is the point about 3 V8s. It says one is the s.c 6.2, but then it says there will be 2 base V8s, one automatic and one manual, both over 400HP... that part is confusing. At least 3 V8s one of which is the S/C... so are they saying that the auto and manual are the other 2 V8s? The way it is worded makes it seem as though the auto and manual will get different V8s, not that the auto/manual tranny will be an option on all V8s.

Anyone else confused by that statement?
I see what you are saying. I wouldn't doubt that the two base entry level V8's will have different HP #'s. That's my guess. I'll really excited to see if the RS/SS will come back. I've heard many rumors that the Z28 will be top of the line. If this is so, that's cool. I can see MANY people out there being confused as hell about it, but the true musclecar die hards will all know.

A 550hp SC Z28??? OH MY....... This WILL put GM on top.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #94
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Here is the article I was talking about! Get you magnifying glasses out!

3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #95
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
I was thinking that the automatic V8 may have a lower HP rating due to limitations of the automatic tranny... the Manual may get more due to higher-rpm threshold.

I'm thinking of a situation similar to the Mazda RX8 where the manual makes much more HP than the auto due to the 7000rpm limiter on the automatics torque converter.

At least that is how I interpreted that statement about two base V8's

Oh, and I think its REALLY funny that the 'base' V8 in the Camaro has more HP than ANY OTHER CAR I have ever looked at in my price range.. It just struck me yesterday... Subaru WRX STI, Nissan 300Z, Infinite G35 Coupe, etc... AND we have an option for MORE hp if we want! Crazy.

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #96
SSRich

Drives: 1967 camaroSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
I was thinking that the automatic V8 may have a lower HP rating due to limitations of the automatic tranny... the Manual may get more due to higher-rpm threshold.

I'm thinking of a situation similar to the Mazda RX8 where the manual makes much more HP than the auto due to the 7000rpm limiter on the automatics torque converter.

At least that is how I interpreted that statement about two base V8's

Oh, and I think its REALLY funny that the 'base' V8 in the Camaro has more HP than ANY OTHER CAR I have ever looked at in my price range.. It just struck me yesterday... Subaru WRX STI, Nissan 300Z, Infinite G35 Coupe, etc... AND we have an option for MORE hp if we want! Crazy.

~LSx
I think that is stupid people shouldn't be punished if they want a automatic. I don't believe it will happen i haven't seen it if you want more hp you will have to got to a manual.
SSRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #97
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRich View Post
I think that is stupid people shouldn't be punished if they want a automatic. I don't believe it will happen i haven't seen it if you want more hp you will have to got to a manual.
First of all, I don't think they are necessarily "punishing" people as much as it would be a limitation of the transmission. I don't think they got together in a room and thought, "Ok, how can we screw over people who want an automatic?".

Secondly, this this PURE SPECULATION. Even if it does happen to be true, I doubt that the difference would be noticable.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #98
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
It just doesn't make sense to me that they would have two seperate V8's for the same level Car...and only having different engines due to different trannys. I'm thinking one could be just a regular old base V8 Camaro, then another for an SS, and the last being the Z28. Heck, I don't know. What would the base Camaro be called? Would it be an RS package? Or, would the base Camaro be called an SS with the next bump up being the SS/RS again w/ the top being Z28?

I think the person to ask to answer the main question is right here....GMPowertrain.

Is it necessary to have one engine for an auto and another V8 for a manual? I'm not asking what's going into the Camaro...you're sworn to secrecy. But, could you shed some light on this?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote