Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #29
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop
I plan to save for a camaro also. I wanted to comment on what you talked about above.

1) They probably will offer a houndstooth seats.
2) I think it's safe to say Camaro will in no way shape or form have independent suspension in the back (unless camaro is intended to be priced like a GTO). too many V8 Camaro owners intend to completely destroy and anihilate every single drivetrain component located behind the transmission so it's a bad idea to sell them a car with IRS.
3) others should not argue about SS and Z28 models because GM will decide whats up with that.
4) The real question is what is being used for the FRONT suspension. Hopefully double wishbones and NOT struts. I don't know what that zeta or beta design uses.

5) others should be prepared for high marked up prices when these cars finally exist at dealerships. i will wait it out and get a convertible way after the market is saturated and the flaws from first production runs are fixed.
As per your comments, thank you. I like the interaction.
And in response,
1. Good
2. I don't plan on anihilating every single drivetrain component although I will get on it from time to time (it's possible they can make it strong enough to handle the punishment and also keep the costs down---so they can top Ford and Dodge once again in another area.)
3. It's called discussion with opinion.
4. Does anyone have the answer to this question w/ those leaked blueprints?
5. I won't pay anything over a few hundred over cost (not msrp). Eventually someone will sell it to you. See my other discussion about the last three Camaros I purchased for $200 over cost from the same dealership and then the Sorento I bought for $100 over cost (same dealership). They will do it again to keep the customer coming back.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #30
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT
As per your comments, thank you. I like the interaction.
And in response,
1. Good
2. I don't plan on anihilating every single drivetrain component although I will get on it from time to time (it's possible they can make it strong enough to handle the punishment and also keep the costs down---so they can top Ford and Dodge once again in another area.)
3. It's called discussion with opinion.
4. Does anyone have the answer to this question w/ those leaked blueprints?
5. I won't pay anything over a few hundred over cost (not msrp). Eventually someone will sell it to you. See my other discussion about the last three Camaros I purchased for $200 over cost from the same dealership and then the Sorento I bought for $100 over cost (same dealership). They will do it again to keep the customer coming back.

3. Absolutely right...

5. When you say you bought your last 3 Camaros at 200 dollars over cost are you adding in holdback?

Even if the car dealership sells you a vehicle at dealer cost or "invoice," they are still making money!

The factory gives them what is called "holdback" on each new vehicle sold. On a vehicle that stickers for say $30,000 the "holdback" could be as much as $800 to $900!

Now, don't get too excited just yet! Holdback is given to car dealers by the manufacturer, usually on a quarterly basis, to help them offset the high cost of financing inventory.

Rarely will a car dealer negotiate any part of the "holdback," nor should they. Afterall, we must allow the dealers to earn enough profit to keep them in business.

However, knowing this, don't be afraid to offer the dealer a couple of hundred over invoice. It's a good deal for you, and it's to the dealer's advantage to take such a deal.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #31
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

AutoWeek

Shortly after the Chevrolet Camaro concept hit the Detroit show floor to rave reviews, there was little doubt GM would eventually build the car. According to a newspaper report, the official announcement is now finally only days away.

The Detroit Free Press has reported that GM CEO Rick Wagoner will announce later this week at a conference in Traverse City, MI, that the Camaro concept will be built.

The Camaro concept is built the company’s Zeta rear-drive platform, which goes into production this summer in Australia.

This platform, with independent suspension all around (technically, the Camaro’s parts came from a Cadillac CTS) and robust parts for large and high-performance cars, was shelved for a while to save costs as GM struggled to bring its bottom line under control, but it is ready to go now.

With hardware in hand, the next phase of making a real-world Camaro happen has to do with finalizing a production design, developing a specification list that will generate the requisite sales numbers, setting up to stamp out body parts from sheetmetal. Vice chairman Bob Lutz says the magic number is 100,000 units, and others say that means a range of affordable pony cars.

The report goes on to say that the car will be built as early as 2008 and that a V6 will join two V8s as the powertrain offerings.

Stay tuned to AutoWeek for the official announcement from GM.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:00 PM   #32
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

3. Thanks, KILLER74Z28
5. Dealers have a rock bottom cost w/ "holdback" so they can at least make a profit, yes. Then, they have cost (what they tell us the vehicle cost them), and then the MSRP. I understand that their holdback could be that $800 to $900 you're talking about. No, I wasn't lucky enough to get into the holdback area as it would be nice to get the sweetest deal. I bought them at $200 over cost (what they tell us the vehicle cost them). I just hope they'll do it again when the new Camaro comes out!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #33
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT
3. Thanks, KILLER74Z28
5. Dealers have a rock bottom cost w/ "holdback" so they can at least make a profit, yes. Then, they have cost (what they tell us the vehicle cost them), and then the MSRP. I understand that their holdback could be that $800 to $900 you're talking about. No, I wasn't lucky enough to get into the holdback area as it would be nice to get the sweetest deal. I bought them at $200 over cost (what they tell us the vehicle cost them). I just hope they'll do it again when the new Camaro comes out!
That would be nice, but I don't think it is going to happen. When the new Mustang was released its average life span on a dealer's lot was 30 minutes. I feel the same thing is going to happen with the Camaro. Dealers are not going to have to work to move it, the car is going to sell its self. Its going to be more like this:

"Take a number, when your number is called please step up to the counter with MSRP in hand. We accept checks and/or money orders, for those of you that qualify are F&I guy would be glad to help you, sorry no COD. If your number is called and you do not have MSRP in hand please step aside so a alternate can take your place. Thank you and have a nice day.”

If the car is released next fall I might wait a year to buy one. I was a service engineer for on of the “Big Three” so I have seen the good and bad of a newly released vehicle. It’s nice to be the first to have the new muscle on the block but after taking the vehicle back time and time again because all the bugs have not been worked out is very frustrating. Plus, it will be easier to barter with the dealer. On top of that, the next model year is always bigger and bader…

Last edited by KILLER74Z28; 08-08-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #34
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Yeah, I could see the whole "take a #" thing happening. I have a sales manager there who knows me, so I might get lucky. If something goes wrong...yup...I'm screwed. 30 min? ouch... I just might have to go to the dealership out in the boonies who never gets any customers if my guys don't help me here. And...I know what you mean about waiting. I'm in no rush to purchase the first one, although I would love to be the first on the streets w/ the new muscle car. It's all about finances for me.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:39 AM   #35
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelz2315
I have some questions that I haven't seen the answers to yet.

A: Will there be a racing stripe option (ala the 67-73 Camaro)
B: Will houndstooth interior be an option
C: If they are going to produce these cars for the 2008 model year, when will they be available for order or to purchase? (fall of '07 or fall of the next year?) The only reason I ask is becasue the 1970 Camaro was not available until winter of 1970, it didn't come out in the fall......
I don't think the hounds tooth seats wil find their way into production. Like Bob Lutz said in the interview at the Detroit show, this car is a modern car with past Camaro styling cues. As Csaba Csere said in a Car and Driver video, a modern car with styling hints from the the past will last when all the "Retro" stuff gets old, i.e. PT Cruiser and VW Beetles. I think the SS wil be the top of the line, as all of the SS's are today( Impala SS, Avalanche SS, Tahoe/ Suburban SS and rumors of a Corvette SS). As for stripes, the computer images in this site with the stripes and SS396 hood stacks.. PERFECT!

Last edited by Al Robinson; 08-09-2006 at 06:17 AM.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:06 AM   #36
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
With all of the comments that have been posted as to what engines will be offered, has anyone heard whether or not the Zetta platform will come with an independant rear suspension. Would we all not agree that IRS as standard is worth paying a little extra for? I don't believe it should be reserved for the top end model only as it is on the Shelby Mustang.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 AM   #37
pverspeek

Drives: 2004 Chevrolet Silverado SS
Send a message via Skype™ to pverspeek
When I first saw the pics of the new Camaro both my girlfriend and I agreed. This will be the successor for our current Silverado SS. She will be driving the truck; I'll get the new Camaro. If they'll build a SS; it will be mine... That's for sure.

Overhere in Belgium, these cars are quite rare , currently only 3 SS's; where mine was first; almost 2 years ago.

So, I'm hoping with you guys for positive news. I'm really excited about the news, and after all; 2 SS's on the driveway shouldn't be that bad...

Pascal
2009 BMW K1300GT

Future Car: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Manual
pverspeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #38
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Robinson
With all of the comments that have been posted as to what engines will be offered, has anyone heard whether or not the Zetta platform will come with an independant rear suspension. Would we all not agree that IRS as standard is worth paying a little extra for? I don't believe it should be reserved for the top end model only as it is on the Shelby Mustang.
I'd pay a little extra for the IRS. I hear it is a completely different ride than solid axle. Hopefully they'll announce that tomorrow as well.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #39
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Robinson
I just read a long article about the Zeta platform.
I didn't know it is so brand new. everything about it is at this link
http://www.vecommodore.com.au/18/

I think it is safe to say Camaro VERY likely will have IRS.
I don't think that platform is set up for any kind of solid axle.

This platform looks like it is supposed to compete directly with something like the platform used on the Chrysler (dodge) Charger (which has IRS and rear wheel drive).

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 08-09-2006 at 04:38 PM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #40
svensenjensen

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Seems a little strange

Has anyone actually looked at the lines of the "New" camaro? Looks a lot like the new mustang style..... Seems a little strange that GM decided to redo their camaro after Ford had already did theirs.
svensenjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #41
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by svensenjensen View Post
Has anyone actually looked at the lines of the "New" camaro? Looks a lot like the new mustang style..... Seems a little strange that GM decided to redo their camaro after Ford had already did theirs.
New mustang being the current body style, or the one that will debut around the time the Camaro come out?

I really don't see any resemblence to the mustang at all IMO...
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #42
svensenjensen

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT

So you can honestly say that they look completely different?
svensenjensen is offline   Reply With Quote