Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 08-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #43
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Actually, I think the Unions are killing the US Big 3, but that's a different thread.

I don't really understand why you say the dealers are killing them.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #44
SSMUFF

Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Well if you people willing to only pay MSRP and the dealer is asking $10K mark up then those people either wait or go searching. If the dealers would just sell the cars at MSRP then the automakers could produce more and not have to run 0% and rebates!
SSMUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #45
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Personally, I think that kind of business practice will only serve to kill that dealer. Now admittedly, in my area, there are multiple dealers of each brand (okay, only 1 Porsche dealer, and no Ferrari, Lambo, etc, but for normal vehicles there are many) to choose from. If one dealer won't sell it to you, the next one will.

If one dealer wants to keep his prices that high or that inflated, he won't be in business long.

Competition is good for the consumer.

Now, in other areas where there aren't as many dealers to choose from....well, I don't know that those dealers are killing the American Big 3, but they certainly are thorns in their sides.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #46
SSMUFF

Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Aww but when you have collussion among local dealers then it only hurts us die heart american brand fans!
SSMUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #47
ChevyLee
SS Chevy

Drives: Chevy Cheyenne Truck
i do not care what any one says i refuse to pay above msrp as well.

the dealer ship i plan on buying mine from might not mark it up but if they do they can kiss my money good bye
ChevyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #48
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyLee View Post
i do not care what any one says i refuse to pay above msrp as well.

the dealer ship i plan on buying mine from might not mark it up but if they do they can kiss my money good bye

We have a thread on this site where people are listing dealerships that have stated they won't go over MSRP.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621

So far I've had one local (to me) dealer say their policy is to not go over MSRP regardless of how 'hot' the car is.

I know my local Ford dealership has no problem marking up the GT500's though. The dealer personally told me they had just sold one for $12,000 OVER MSRP. I think he thought I'd be impressed. I just chuckled and told him I'd NEVER pay over MSRP. His response was that I will for that Camaro...

Guess I should drive my new one there after I get it, and show him what I paid.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #49
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I'd drive the camaro onto the lot, say you're ready to trade it in and sit down for the paperwork first. Then be like, oh I can't buy it for the same deal I got on my camaro? I didn't pay a cent over MSRP, are you telling me that Chevy knows how to sell cars better? Then walk out.

In the meantime, the mustang prospective buyers are oogling the camaro on the lot and reconsidering.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #50
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I woudn't say that either the Dealers, or the Unions are killing the Big Three...Big Two depending on how you look at it.

I like what Silverado said, about the dealers greed hurting that particular dealer. If a dealer tries to screw you over, your probably not apt to come back. And then you tell your friends...and then they're screwed...
I believe you don't see foriegn vehicles selling over MSRP because they aren't "especially wanted cars" like the Mustang GT, or GT500, or GTO, or Corvette...They're just average cars. You don't see many domestic "regular" cars being sold over MSRP either...it's not the brand, it's the vehicle.

As for Unions, I know and agree that this is a topic for another thread, so I'll make it brief: The Unions purpose this day in age is preventative-only, IMO. There aren't many companys that need to be fought by a union for wages, or conditions. If the unions evaporated, then there would be. Agreed that unions are extra "baggage" that the BIG Three have to carry around, but I think it's more of the foriegn companys' lack of Unions that hurt the BIG Three.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #51
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
We have a thread on this site where people are listing dealerships that have stated they won't go over MSRP.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621

So far I've had one local (to me) dealer say their policy is to not go over MSRP regardless of how 'hot' the car is.

I know my local Ford dealership has no problem marking up the GT500's though. The dealer personally told me they had just sold one for $12,000 OVER MSRP. I think he thought I'd be impressed. I just chuckled and told him I'd NEVER pay over MSRP. His response was that I will for that Camaro...

Guess I should drive my new one there after I get it, and show him what I paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I'd drive the camaro onto the lot, say you're ready to trade it in and sit down for the paperwork first. Then be like, oh I can't buy it for the same deal I got on my camaro? I didn't pay a cent over MSRP, are you telling me that Chevy knows how to sell cars better? Then walk out.

In the meantime, the mustang prospective buyers are oogling the camaro on the lot and reconsidering.
That's great! Convert and conquer...
Old 08-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #52
EllwynX

Quote:

LOL That's great.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 PM   #53
juzlookzfazt

Drives: 2000 Mitsu Eclipse..for now..
IMO, if the dealer salesman / finance manager won't give you a fair deal, you pretend your 100% serious when crunching numbers. And if they mark it up way to high, just tell them its not what your looking for, and leave. More than half the time they run after you ready to make a fair deal lol. Happened with the last 06 GTO they had on the lot, unfortunately I was competing against a lawyer and another salesman already working on the same goat, had to just give up there lol.
juzlookzfazt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #54
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You don't see many domestic "regular" cars being sold over MSRP either...it's not the brand, it's the vehicle.
[/I]
In my home town the main dealerships mark up every car and truck. a base model cobalt had a 500$ AMV on it and an HHR I looked at had a 1300$ AMV. I looked at the dealer told him I could drive 20 mins away to another dealer get the exact same HHR and pay MSRP or less. he laughed at me and said did it have the blah blah blah option. I said yes. he just laughed at me. and i said and that's why you won't get my money or my friends and family.

I will never buy from a dealership that has an AMV. as soon as I see that extra sticker with AMV written on it or we go in and start talking about price and it's above MSRP that's when I get up and leave and tell them to shove it. Even if they work out a deal with me where I pay msrp or below. what's to stop the next guy coming in and they charge him double the MSRP. I still gave them my money therefor I kept them open. screw that.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #55
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Or the Dealer tells the prospective buyers that it's crap and the guy came in to trade it in on a mustange because the mustange is better. could work against ya.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #56
EllwynX

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
In my home town the main dealerships mark up every car and truck. a base model cobalt had a 500$ AMV on it and an HHR I looked at had a 1300$ AMV. I looked at the dealer told him I could drive 20 mins away to another dealer get the exact same HHR and pay MSRP or less. he laughed at me and said did it have the blah blah blah option. I said yes. he just laughed at me. and i said and that's why you won't get my money or my friends and family.

I will never buy from a dealership that has an AMV. as soon as I see that extra sticker with AMV written on it or we go in and start talking about price and it's above MSRP that's when I get up and leave and tell them to shove it. Even if they work out a deal with me where I pay msrp or below. what's to stop the next guy coming in and they charge him double the MSRP. I still gave them my money therefor I kept them open. screw that.

What's AMV stand for? I've never seen it on a car before.