Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #169
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
I would be very interested in an LT5 Camaro Z/28 or not...it would change my shopping for a ZL1 1LE immediately.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #170
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfive View Post
To reiterate When I spoke to Al directly at camarofest , he did mention that the z-28 HAD ALWAYS BEEN Naturally ASPIRATED, to which I replied , well Al nothing is ever set in stone he thought for a minute , nodded and said you know you might have a point . I dont care what z/28 purists think . If you put a 755 HP camaro on the lot PEOPLE WILL CERTAINLY Buy that bad ass beast !! The Z06 was always naturally aspirated until the c7 Z06 came out , so like I said NOTHING IS SET IN STONE. 2020 is my prediction on release date , cost 80-100 grand range possibly .
The problem is the people that don’t care about the Z/28 don’t care what the car is called, so building an LT5 Z/28 to please those that don’t care, will only piss off the purists, while calling it something else won’t piss off anyone.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #171
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The problem is the people that don’t care about the Z/28 don’t care what the car is called, so building an LT5 Z/28 to please those that don’t care, will only piss off the purists, while calling it something else won’t piss off anyone.
Those purists are few and far between .
Youre kinda right about that . However Chevy doesn't care so how many few if any people will be pissed off if they go FI with a normally NA car . Chevy cares how much profit and how many cars they can sell .

And IF I Were a real purist , I remember the original DZ 302 ( aka Z/28 )was limited to 5.0 cubic liters or smaller , chevy broke that rule already plenty of times
Those were th eroad racing days which are long gone . People care about 1 thing more than anything my friend and that is HP . Reviving the z/28 nomenclature would add a bit of historical nostalgia and keep the iconic model and the top of the food chain.

We’ll all see what GM has in store .
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #172
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Youre kinda right about that . However Chevy doesn't care so how many few if any people will be pissed off if they go FI with a normally NA car . Chevy cares how much profit and how many cars they can sell .

And IF I Were a real purist , I remember the original DZ 302 ( aka Z/28 )was limited to 5.0 cubic liters or smaller , chevy broke that rule already plenty of times
Those were th eroad racing days which are long gone . People care about 1 thing more than anything my friend and that is HP . Reviving the z/28 nomenclature would add a bit of historical nostalgia and keep the iconic model and the top of the food chain.

That wasnt a chevrolet rule, that was an SCCA rule. Which was lifted in 70, hnece the high displacement afterwards. Then..the Z28 legacy..died..until 2014.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #173
Bhobbs

Quote:

That wasn’t Chevy’s rule. That was the class rule. Displacement was increased to 5.7 liters for the 1970 season anyways.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #174
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
That wasnt a chevrolet rule, that was an SCCA rule. Which was lifted in 70, hnece the high displacement afterwards. Then..the Z28 legacy..died..until 2014.
I never said it was a chevy rule only that they broke it .
And actually the only thing z/28 signifies was an RPO code back in the day to satisfy such scca/trans am rules about the 5.0 Ci engine size maximum .
You are kinda wrong about another thing there were additional chevy models with the z/28 nomenclature
3rd gen also had Z/28s and so did Fourth Gen’s ( IM restoring one now that is my late brothers car )
Chevy also had a z-28 in the late 70’s also.

Piggins would be proud to have a lt5 powerplant im sure in a 6th gen ( the original designer of the z/28 )

It has a long history of performance . Heck they can even call the 6th gen LT5 powered the cheetah .I believe thats what chevy was originally going to call the RPO Z/28 . But the z/28 stuck . IMO the 1LE has kinda replaced what the Z/28 original package was , performance handling brakes , etc.

Either way IMO whatever LT5 is called if they make it , it will be a welcome addition .
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #175
Bhobbs

Except they didn’t break the rule. The rule went from 5.0 to 5.7 liters. Then Trans Am went away and so did the rule.

Besides, no Z/28 exceeded 5.7 liters, until the 5th gen.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #176
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
The ZL1 RPO was far more butchered and less "purist" than anything GM has ever done with the Z28 RPO - even if they put an LT5 in it.

GM has butchered all their hallowed name plates - especially the GrandSport Corvette - what is the holy grail of C2s, is now a base powertrain with Z06 body and suspension...WTF.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #177
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
The ZL1 RPO was far more butchered and less "purist" than anything GM has ever done with the Z28 RPO - even if they put an LT5 in it.

GM has butchered all their hallowed name plates - especially the GrandSport Corvette - what is the holy grail of C2s, is now a base powertrain with Z06 body and suspension...WTF.
I agree about the 2nd part, which is why I don’t want to see it continue.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #178
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
There are formulas then there is just trying to make something with all of the same numbers that it had in the past.

The former I agree with however the latter I disagree with....

Al stated that the Z/28 has a formula and that formula includes natural aspiration, now will he hold to that and risk not having a Z/28 or break that rule to have one?.

I honestly don't see why GM doesn't produce an engine for the Camaro only as it out sells the Corvette.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #179
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

But that IMO is part of the problem. With the exception of the fifth gen, the Z/28 was never the top of the food of the chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
There are formulas then there is just trying to make something with all of the same numbers that it had in the past.

The former I agree with however the latter I disagree with....

Al stated that the Z/28 has a formula and that formula includes natural aspiration, now will he hold to that and risk not having a Z/28 or break that rule to have one?.

I honestly don't see why GM doesn't produce an engine for the Camaro only as it out sells the Corvette.
And that IMO is also part of the problem. If Camaro ever got a unique engine, it would have to be the top dollar model IMO. I personally don't think they can build an NA powered camaro that would outperform the ZLE on the track. Not without an exceptionally large price tag and at the end of the day it is still a Camaro. What is that $ where buyers will simply say no because it is just a camaro
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:56 PM   #180
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Just for arguments sake, the '67 Z/28 had an MO 302. The DZ came in '69, MAYBE some late '68's. I would love to see a Z/28 specific engine, even if its a "parts bin" destroked version of the 6.2. I could see the LT5 making its way into a new model, which Im not someone to have any say in anyways, itll be priced way out of my league.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:31 AM   #181
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
The issue that I see always comes back around to expectations. In the late 60's GM didnt have to do a lot outside of design an engine and then produce it. That is not the case in 2018. For GM to design, certify, validate, and then produce an engine it takes a lot of time and money. Everyone loves our track warranty right? Well as a business you are only gonna do that on a large scale after so much testing and evaluation concludes you can with an appropriate risk of repair. If you really like the rare engine model say goodbye to the very broad stroke track day warranty. This is why you won't see small run rate engines in these cars. The juice simply isn't worth the squeeze and as an enthusiast I dont want to see the track warranty go away. I'll gladly take an LT5 any day as long as GM allows me to flog it mercilessly out on a race track in stock form and cover it. I also know that for them to do that means I will not have as many options and will not have as many "updates and enhancements" to current options...a price I will gladly pay for the warranty coverage.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:18 AM   #182
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
But that IMO is part of the problem. With the exception of the fifth gen, the Z/28 was never the top of the food of the chain

And that IMO is also part of the problem. If Camaro ever got a unique engine, it would have to be the top dollar model IMO. I personally don't think they can build an NA powered camaro that would outperform the ZLE on the track. Not without an exceptionally large price tag and at the end of the day it is still a Camaro. What is that $ where buyers will simply say no because it is just a camaro
And anything above $80,000 is simply priced out of range for 95% of the Camaro buyers. Of the 5% left, only 20% track their cars. 20% of 5% is the demographic for an LT5-powered Track Camaro. Of that 20% of 5% of Camaro buyers, less than 50% may even opt for the Z/28, as the Corvette Grand Sport or Corvette Z06 is a better choice for the other 50%.

My point is, there’s little to no market for an $80,000 Track-rat Camaro.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote