The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #29
binko

Drives: Honda Accord
I installed mine this morning. It's quite easy. Most time consuming part is lifting the car properly.
Once you have the car jacked WAY up, the OEM connector is on the SIDE of the transmission on the drivers side. The connector is not immediately visible because it has a thermal jacket around it to protect the wire from hitting the exhaust pipe. Just slide that cylindrical shape protector back and the plug will be exposed. Reach in with a small screwdriver to release the latch and pull the plug out. Install the eliminator between the trans and the original plug (it will only go one way-you can't make a mistake) and strap it back up. Be sure to position so that it does not touch the exhaust pipe.
binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #30
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete43 View Post
Speaking of dealers, will this skip shift eliminator void or affect your warranty?
Not at all. We have Chevy dealerships that buy our skip shift eliminators in bulk and install them on their Corvettes and Camaros.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #31
Buzzardz_vette
Remove Before Flight

Drives: 2014 Cpe Z51 2LT Torch Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by binko View Post
I installed mine this morning. It's quite easy. Most time consuming part is lifting the car properly.
Once you have the car jacked WAY up, the OEM connector is on the SIDE of the transmission on the drivers side. The connector is not immediately visible because it has a thermal jacket around it to protect the wire from hitting the exhaust pipe. Just slide that cylindrical shape protector back and the plug will be exposed. Reach in with a small screwdriver to release the latch and pull the plug out. Install the eliminator between the trans and the original plug (it will only go one way-you can't make a mistake) and strap it back up. Be sure to position so that it does not touch the exhaust pipe.
I see two connections on the driver's side of the transmission. One low and one high on the side. I tried the lower one and the connections don't fit. They are shaped differently. Is it the upper one that I'm supposed to use?

Buzzardz_vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #32
binko

Drives: Honda Accord
When I installed mine, I don't recall if there were 2 different connectors on the drivers side of the trans, however it is fairly high up on the trans and you do need to reach up there to get it. Skinny arms help. The connectors can only go in one way and the Apex connectors do match exactly to the factory ones. Remember that the connectors are not immediately visible-they have a small cylinder shaped thermal shield around them to protect it from the exhaust pipe.
binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #33
Pete43

Drives: 78 and 2014 Stingray
Yes its the upper connection on the drivers side. The lower one looks like a temp sending unit.
Pete43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #34
Buzzardz_vette
Remove Before Flight

Drives: 2014 Cpe Z51 2LT Torch Red
Thanks, I'll try to upper one. It's a little harder to reach and disconnect.

Buzzardz_vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #35
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette View Post
Thanks, I'll try to upper one. It's a little harder to reach and disconnect.
Get it figured out?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #36
Jeff7

Drives: C7 2LT
Is the thermal shield re-used when the eliminator is installed?
Jeff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #37
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Yes it is. I didn't even remove, just scrunched it up enough to connect the skip shift eliminator, then pushed back into place as best I could, given the tight space to work in.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #38
monicatomokc

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2021 Tahoe Z71
Please pardon my ignorance. So if I'm reading one of these posts correctly, if you are exceeding 20 MPH when shifting out of first, the "skip shift" is not activated, correct? I haven't been denied a shift into second yet, so I'm guessing I've exceed 20 MPH every time. Good assumption??
Old 05-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #39
Jeff7

Drives: C7 2LT
Good assumption, indeed. There are a number of conditions that must be met for the skip shift to activate (light throttle, certain speed, et al). These conditions seem to correlate to the EPA test cycle which is why Chevy does it. Makes for higher mpg and helps avoid the gas guzzler tax. When I was in stop and go traffic and wanted to shift to second gear, the skip shift was really annoying. I don't have that problem anymore!
Jeff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #40
monicatomokc

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2021 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff7 View Post
Good assumption, indeed. There are a number of conditions that must be met for the skip shift to activate (light throttle, certain speed, et al). These conditions seem to correlate to the EPA test cycle which is why Chevy does it. Makes for higher mpg and helps avoid the gas guzzler tax. When I was in stop and go traffic and wanted to shift to second gear, the skip shift was really annoying. I don't have that problem anymore!
Leaving work today I tried shifting at 10 MPH and it let me shift to 2nd, so 20 MPH isn't the magic number. I tried several times to see if it would force me to do 1st to 4th, just to see what it was like and every time I could shift to 2nd. Oh well, it'll probably just happen when I least expect it. Like you said, there are probably a number of factors that all have to occur to force this. No complaints though...
Old 05-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #41
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Part of the criteria the computer uses is % throttle. If you have the throttle open over the set thresh hold, it also will not engage skip shift. Skip shift only engages if speed is under 19mph, throttle is less than roughly 35% (I forget the exact %), and if load is minimal - all three. Just meeting one or two items still won't engage it. Unfortunately, those very criteria I encounter regularly to and from work, so in the eliminator went! Now I can control speed much better in stop & go traffic using the gas pedal, rather than getting on the brake constantly. Much better for brake longevity.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #42
jerryv

Drives: 02Z06, C7 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
Part of the criteria the computer uses is % throttle. If you have the throttle open over the set thresh hold, it also will not engage skip shift. Skip shift only engages if speed is under 19mph, throttle is less than roughly 35% (I forget the exact %), and if load is minimal - all three. Just meeting one or two items still won't engage it. Unfortunately, those very criteria I encounter regularly to and from work, so in the eliminator went! Now I can control speed much better in stop & go traffic using the gas pedal, rather than getting on the brake constantly. Much better for brake longevity.
It also looks at coolant temp .. it does not do the skip-shift on a cold engine .. has to be up to temp before it kicks in ..
jerryv is offline   Reply With Quote