The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Mag Ride Question

My order is at 1100. For the time being, I can still make changes to it. I am wondering if I should add Mag Ride Control. I have ordered the Z-51 package.

Here's the question; performance driving aside, are there any other advantages mag ride will have for "normal driving".

I clearly understand the performance driving benefits, but can I also get an improved touring ride in terms comfort with Mag Ride? Michigan roads are...well. let just say they leave a lot to be desired.

I can't ask my salesman...he is clueless.
Mariano (Alfie)
Old 06-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
As the owner of a ZL1, I can tell you that it's amazing tech. I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Philr56

Drives: Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited
Send a message via Skype™ to Philr56
Nice ride! Following up on the original question, could you elaborate on how Mag Ride improves normal driving? I plan on using my C7 as a daily driver (well, on good weather days!).

Thanks.
Philr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
alfie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
As the owner of a ZL1, I can tell you that it's amazing tech. I would definitely recommend it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could you be more specific? Thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
sotirisf

Drives: C6 Vert
I have mag rid on my 09 vert, and here is what I can tell you. For normal driving, i keep it in normal mode, which is just soft (although not really soft at all) enough for city driving and touring. But when I switch it to sport, the difference is noticable. I have done this during highway driving, and the effect is that the car stiffens up, the cars handling is crisp and more responsive. Gone is the body lean, and any softness in the ride. It feels like the suspension is handling forces much faster. If you have it in sport mode while doing normal city driving, keep your mouth shut or you might spit out a filling going over bumps. But in spirited highway driving, its a lot of fun. When I am just touring at highway speeds, I keep in in tour mode- but once in a while when I want to hammer away- especially when I want to thread the needle or punch it, a simple turn of the nob and fun begins
sotirisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
elegant

Drives: 2006 Z06 Corvette
MSRC is on every new Ferrari that leaves the factory (except the F1 race cars). It is that good that Ferrari buys GM's magnetorheological shock system,but generation two, shock system for every one of its cars. However, the C7 will pioneer the third generation MRSC system, which is a much better system (reacts faster, 2 coils instead of 1).

Also, it comes standard with performance traction management. What is PTM?
See www.youtube.com and under the search box (top right), type in:
how it works: PTM

Great system! If I were buying a C7 but couldn't afford or didn't want many options, my first one would be Z-51, the second one would be FE4 (MSRC).
elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
alfie43

Mag Ride Added

Well, that's one benefit of being stuck at 1100; you can still change your order.

I stopped at the dealership and changed my order to include FE4; Magnetic Selective Ride Control.

I should be going to 2000 very soon. Whew...that was close!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie43 View Post
Well, that's one benefit of being stuck at 1100; you can still change your order.

I stopped at the dealership and changed my order to include FE4; Magnetic Selective Ride Control.

I should be going to 2000 very soon. Whew...that was close!
Alfie, I believe you made a great choice going with Magnetic Ride. I love it on my ZL1. I have the Z several times and it makes the heavy chassis handle like it is much lighter. On the new Vette with the Z51 package, it is going to be awesome. You won't regret the decision.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
If and when I ever decide to trade my SS I will definatly do the Z51 WITH mag ride!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
As long as you're springing for the Z51 package then the mag shocks are a no-brainer IMHO. Not only do they allow for variable stiffness but also a degree of active suspension with ultra fast reaction times. I've driven the F55 package on late model C6s and it's an easy choice for me. Especially with the supremely crappy roads in and around Baltimore. Buttoned down when carving up corners and twisty roads but can allow an acceptable ride in daily driving duties. Plus should work great with mode select.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Good move my friend. You are going to love the car. I need to win the lottery or something so I can get one.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote