Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-19-2015, 05:47 AM   #15
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Glad everyone's okay, OP.

Hydroplaning is the warm-weather equivalent of driving on ice. When it happens, there is really nothing you can do but let off the gas, stay off the brakes, avoid turning the wheels sharply, and ride it out. If you perform this basic driving technique, I seriously doubt TC/ST would compound the problem.
+1

All though it's hard to do. First instinct is panic brake counter the pull from what is usually a puddle on one side of the car pulling you into it.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #16
BrutalSS

Drives: 2010 Hennessey Camaro
I've been in a hydroplane situation once or twice with the Camaro, if it looks like it is going to rain, the car stays home, I have Drag Radials on the back, it can get kind of squirrely. But if I do end up in that situation, it's off the gas and just gentle corrections on the steering while my heart is pounding. I guess 20+ years of racing cars has paid off.

Although the freakiest one for me was when I was coming off the Thruway, slowing down (gentle braking and letting off the gas), ass end broke free and was 45 degrees to the Guard Rail, held a counter steer like it was my sprint car, that scared me one good.
BrutalSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #17
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Hope all are well!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #18
TXLS3

Drives: 11' 2ss/rs ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
Slow down.

Exactly. It's that simple.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #19
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
Slow down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLS3 View Post
I may seem like an a-hole by saying it, but its what works for me.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #20
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLS3 View Post
Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
I may seem like an a-hole by saying it, but its what works for me.
Nope just a MassHOLE, don't worry we all suffer from it in this region.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #22
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I guess the rest of us that have experienced hydroplaning can assume that all you genius professional level drivers that are telling OP to slow down have never in your illustrious driving careers ever been going too fast for conditions, and found yourself in a tricky spot. I get none of you "just slow down" guys have ever had an accident that was your fault (because that would confirm you were not quite what you present yourselves to be), but it would seem that by your comments you have never even made a mistake. Truly incredible. It is a pleasure to drive the same make of car you do, though I am sure you do it much better than us normal guys.
OP, I would say that the end result of the accident was not the fault of the traction control or stabilitrak systems, but a mistake made by your wife as she attempted to regain control. Even though I said mistake, there is a chance that there was no way to save it, so I was in no means putting her down.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #23
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
I'm assuming everyone is ok. Yes it seems this car hydroplanes more than other cars. I hydroplaned at 40 mph..
Camaros hydroplane more than others due to the very wide tires. If you look at
movies from 80 years ago, Model T Fords got great traction in mud/water because
they had very thin almost bicycle like skinny tires. Seems like it should be the
opposite, but it's not.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #24
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Camaros hydroplane more than others due to the very wide tires. If you look at
movies from 80 years ago, Model T Fords got great traction in mud/water because
they had very thin almost bicycle like skinny tires. Seems like it should be the
opposite, but it's not.
They also could only go 22 miles per hour.

I do want to see.., I guess i have been lucky so far. Only had my SS since August. But my SS has hydroplaned yet. I'm sure it will. My mustang did a lot. So far I have been fortunate in my Camaro.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #25
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Mine saved my ass about a week ago at 72 mph or so. Low tight left hander with fresh rain standing on an oily surface. Continental DWS tires with about 16k miles on them. Suspension is stock. Mine's a 2010, not sure how much has changed in those years.

She just slipped and jerked for a second, caught, and turned right on through the corner.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #26
Russtl

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/2 convertible
First of all she was not speeding. Actually she was going just under the speed limit. She had a vehicle in front and behind her. She was the only car that lost control. We live in the northwest and rain is part of our daily lives up here. We've hydroplaned several times and the standard practice is let off on the gas and definitely do not use the breaks! When she hit the water patch she said the steering wheel froze up and the tires felt like they were breaking independently and the car wouldn't allow her to take control.

At first I gave her a hard time and chocked it up to responding improperly to the situation. She assured me that this car responded differently than our other car (That all have traction control) Also, when i recently purchased a new set of wheels from a local guy. I asked why he was selling the wheels and he showed my a picture of his totaled 2014 Camaro 2/SS. He had the same situation when he hydroplaned and he was driving 50 mph. Then he showed me a pic of his friends 2014 camaro that he totaled under the same circumstances just a few months earlier. They both said that the car acted erratically when it started to hydroplane.

Anyhow, It appears something may be wrong or have a glitch with the traction control on the 2014.
Attached Images

Russtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #27
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
What tires was she running on? Wait, you bought these wheels off a previously wrecked camaro?
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ

Last edited by Dizzy82; 03-19-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #28
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I guess the rest of us that have experienced hydroplaning can assume that all you genius professional level drivers that are telling OP to slow down have never in your illustrious driving careers ever been going too fast for conditions, and found yourself in a tricky spot. I get none of you "just slow down" guys have ever had an accident that was your fault (because that would confirm you were not quite what you present yourselves to be), but it would seem that by your comments you have never even made a mistake. Truly incredible. It is a pleasure to drive the same make of car you do, though I am sure you do it much better than us normal guys.
This is nice. I, for one, have been "going too fast for conditions" (before I learned to respect the car and the conditions), but not so fast that I couldn't avoid a wreck. It does take skill to control an otherwise uncontrollable (to you normal guys) situation. And you would be correct that in 45 years of driving, I have never had an accident that was "my fault" (knock on wood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
OP, I would say that the end result of the accident was not the fault of the traction control or stabilitrak systems, but a mistake made by your wife as she attempted to regain control. Even though I said mistake, there is a chance that there was no way to save it, so I was in no means putting her down.
So first you chastise us "just slow down guys" and then imply that OP's wife made a mistake in attempting to gain control. By what means do you suppose that would be? Perhaps going too fast to be able to respond correctly? Make up your mind.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, crashed, hydroplane, roll over