Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 AM   #15
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
It will run between 1000-1500 probably from a good shop.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #16
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Insurance repair = $2600 and some change.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
$600
Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #18
Jonny

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
$600
x3, I'll bet.

$1800.
2011 "Victory Red" Camaro 2LT Convertible RS • Custom Painted "Corvette Black" Racing Stripes • SLP Rear Quarter Gill Graphics • Painted Engine Cover • EmblemPros Underhood Bowtie • River City Creations Custom Painted Bowties • Vararam Intake • JDP V6 VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Hypertech Max Energy Programming • ******** Large Sub Enclosure • 10" DC Sound Labs Level Four Subwoofer • Sundown SAX-1200d Amp • 2SSRS Rear View Backup Camera Kit
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #19
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post

Are you really going to remove the wheel and liner, or mask it off (assuming R&I the wheel isn't necessary to remove the front bumper cover)?

What labor and paint/material rates are you using?
Got news for you, but the paint on the GM cars isn't cheap. Just for a minor repair of my front bumper on my GTP, it was $600. Wasn't needed to be replaced and they filled in two creases on it.

The $1100 estimate is pretty accurate. Depending on how badly gouged the front bumper is, it may be cheaper to replace than repair. You are still looking at having to take it off to paint it.

The quarter panel will require some metal work and it will also have to be blended, so they will most likely paint half the panel....the clear coat/metallic paint add a lot of work to the process.

I really wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to $1500. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #20
mikeb27

Drives: 2011 Black 2LT
I did a very similar thing to my car, just the opposite side. Showstopper on this forum did the repair work for mine, and added fender stripes (grand sport stripes) at the same time. When I get home from work tonight I'll check and see how much I paid for the repairs. I know how bad you feel, but it can be fixed.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Ouch
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #22
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
If it's an insurance repair, my guess is they'll write it for an aftermarket bumper cover if one is available and some new $35k/year adjuster is actually going to investigate if an 'LKQ' recycled bumper is available. lol

Are you really going to remove the wheel and liner, or mask it off (assuming R&I the wheel isn't necessary to remove the front bumper cover)?

What labor and paint/material rates are you using?

I work in healthcare, yet I know a thing or two about "reputable automotive repair shops" --in most cases, it means they produce estimates that make sure that everything on the car gets R&I'd, and painted twice. That's nice, but what quality of work are they putting out?
You can refuse anything aftermarket on a car less than 5 years old with, State Farm, Allstate, USAA, Geico, Progressive, Etc.!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #23
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Got news for you, but the paint on the GM cars isn't cheap. Just for a minor repair of my front bumper on my GTP, it was $600. Wasn't needed to be replaced and they filled in two creases on it.

The $1100 estimate is pretty accurate. Depending on how badly gouged the front bumper is, it may be cheaper to replace than repair. You are still looking at having to take it off to paint it.

The quarter panel will require some metal work and it will also have to be blended, so they will most likely paint half the panel....the clear coat/metallic paint add a lot of work to the process.

No body tech in his right mind is just going to fiddle with turning wheels and reaching when he can have full access, Mitchell says pull wheel and liner so that's what he should do!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #24
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Quote:

The car looks Black? Correct me if i am wrong? No black needs to be Blended!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #25
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by farthestnorth View Post
No black needs to be Blended!
Wrong. The color of the paint is irrelevant.

If they just spray the area that is damaged, it will not look right compared to the rest of the paint. Since the damage is clearly on just 1/3 of the panel, they'll pull it off or tape it off, and repaint it. They will blend the good paint area and the damaged area with paint so that the paint looks like all one layer, instead of spray can touch up. You also have to remember they have to reshoot the clear coat as well, which is another reason why they blend the area.

Trust me when I say this, if you just sprayed the damage area without any overlap, you will be able to see it every time you look at the car.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #26
Wakemaker89

Drives: 2020 Summit White LT1 M6
Send a message via Skype™ to Wakemaker89
Ouch that sucks man! hope the repairs are quick!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #27
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Quote:
Wrong. The color of the paint is irrelevant.

If they just spray the area that is damaged, it will not look right compared to the rest of the paint. Since the damage is clearly on just 1/3 of the panel, they'll pull it off or tape it off, and repaint it. They will blend the good paint area and the damaged area with paint so that the paint looks like all one layer, instead of spray can touch up. You also have to remember they have to reshoot the clear coat as well, which is another reason why they blend the area.

Trust me when I say this, if you just sprayed the damage area without any overlap, you will be able to see it every time you look at the car.
Trust me i know you do not blend black into any other panels, Don't know what paint school you went to, as far as layers clear coat takes care of that!
You only have to partially paint the fender in the damaged area, then what is called flecking with your sprayer in the non damaged area of the fender then clear the whole fender! That is not called blending in any shop i have ever sprayed at period!
Black never has to be blended to do a color match unless it has deep metal flakes in it. Which his fender absolutely does not have!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #28
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
here, to give you an idea since i had to have my front bumper and left front fender replaced. This is a copy of part of the estimate the dealer gave me. Good luck.
Attached Images

Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crash, damage, worst day ever