Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Photos | Videos | Renderings

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #29
DevonK

Drives: TBD
Not every Recaro-style seat is hard-core. At the asking price for the SS, Chevy should have gone with a "hybrid" seat, with better bolstering than the LT seats but not going full race mode.
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #30
Dinosoar

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
Seems like his only negative remarks is it's not a 100% track car. The brakes fade a bit after really getting on it, the seats are too soft, no optional Recaro seats, etc.

Good review, glad to see better footage of the SS in action, look like they drove the heck out of it, cannot wait to start seeing them on the lots!
The biggest complaint I heard was up early in the review, it's still feels heavy and results in understeer. I still want one; would prefer a 1LE version. Brakes can easily be upgraded. Understeer may not be depending on what is causing it...like too much weight up front. Just adding throttle oversteer is for journalists, not racers. I hope Chevy continues to tweak this gem of a car. Catch up Mustang!

Oh, one more thing, why MUST it have a manual? All that work of driving a manual gets you a slower car? Tell me, why not the high-torque 8-speed auto? Just had to poke that sensitive subject!
Dinosoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #31
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosoar View Post
The biggest complaint I heard was up early in the review, it's still feels heavy and results in understeer. I still want one; would prefer a 1LE version. Brakes can easily be upgraded. Understeer may not be depending on what is causing it...like too much weight up front. Just adding throttle oversteer is for journalists, not racers. I hope Chevy continues to tweak this gem of a car. Catch up Mustang!

Oh, one more thing, why MUST it have a manual? All that work of driving a manual gets you a slower car? Tell me, why not the high-torque 8-speed auto? Just had to poke that sensitive subject!
He didn't say it felt heavy, just that is still heavy. Which tells me he is used to driving 3200lbs or less track cars. As for understeer, I'll let some of the track gurus chime in, but no one wants a car that oversteers unless you are trying to make it (i.e. too much throttle). A mild bit of understeer is normal in high speed turns. Note he mentioned no understeer at low speeds.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #32
juzefzoozoo

Drives: 2012 997.2 911 GTS, 6mt
Wish GM would announce at Least the existence of an upcoming 1LE.. and I hope it addresses the understeer and seat gripes pointed out in this review.
juzefzoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #33
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Pokin the bears aren't ya!

Them there's fightin words

fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #34
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
It was an OK review...great to see the car in action, but I look forward to Randy Probst's video review which should be coming sooner or later surely. He has a way of seeming excited about any car he drives, all while giving positive and negatives along the way. This guy was a bit more ho-hum in his demeanor.

But I agree that this guy must be accustomed to high performance, lower weight cars. Can't deny that 3,700 pounds is still heavy for a car that you might try and use as a sports car instead of muscle, but we all know this car is still a fantastic handling car regardless. Bring on the GTPP versus SS reviews already!!
Old 10-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #35
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
That NPP!!!!!! wooooooooohooooooooooooooooo
bhavyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #36
Dinosoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Pokin the bears aren't ya!

Them there's fightin words

LOL...giddy up. Yes, I know it's a very sensitive subject for some. I'm old school myself, and I have a manual for my race car. However, these automatics have gotten faster with less fuel even. The manual is merely a nostalgic thing now. No benefit to it for performance sake.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #37
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
LOL...giddy up. Yes, I know it's a very sensitive subject for some. I'm old school myself, and I have a manual for my race car. However, these automatics have gotten faster with less fuel even. The manual is merely a nostalgic thing now. No benefit to it for performance sake.
Well, I'm 38 and all my cars have been stick..... You'll have to pry the manual gearbox from my cold, dead hands

The only cars I'll even consider buying when I shop for a new car are those available with a stick. Thank God for Camaro!

#Savethemanuals

BTW - the 8 speed is only .2 sec faster than the 6MT
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #38
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Well, I'm 38 and all my cars have been stick..... You'll have to pry the manual gearbox from my cold, dead hands

The only cars I'll even consider buying when I shop for a new car are those available with a stick. Thank God for Camaro!

#Savethemanuals

BTW - the 8 speed is only .2 sec faster than the 6MT
Ironically, Car and Driver said they thought the auto was "spectacular" while acknowledging that they're the #savethemanuals originators! If GM has the issues worked out with it (ahem, go read corvetteforum.com) then great. It'll be faster and get better mileage. For me? I'm 50 and still only driving manuals . The driving experience is just so much more engaging and entertaining shifting yourself IMHO. I won't give that up until I have to.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #39
Dinosoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
He didn't say it felt heavy, just that is still heavy. Which tells me he is used to driving 3200lbs or less track cars. As for understeer, I'll let some of the track gurus chime in, but no one wants a car that oversteers unless you are trying to make it (i.e. too much throttle). A mild bit of understeer is normal in high speed turns. Note he mentioned no understeer at low speeds.

Beg to differ. He said it twice. Also, he did not say no slow speed understeer, he said slow speed oversteer is easy. And yes, race drivers usually prefer a car that is either slightly balanced for oversteer for natural rotation in the turns, or neutral. That's often a preference issue over driving style, and what type of car one is driving. At any rate, most street cars have understeer dialed in for saftey. I just would like to know why this Camaro understeers.

Bugs me when journalists say to compensate understeer just use the throttle. This is not a solution. It may or may not make the fronts grip a bit better. I would if you were already under power and were pulling the fronts up...wheel slippage (wheel spin or drift) would settle the car on the fronts, but this would not make it any faster. One needs to tune that understeer out with suspension adjustments, tire set up, or weight balance on the chassis.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #40
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Pretty cool. Looks like a blast to drive.

The only thing about that video I didn't like is that stuff like this makes me question my life choices. Where was my guidance counselor in school telling me this job is an option. He totally dropped the ball on career day.
SpookShow'84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #41
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:

Oh yeah that's right, I didn't agree with his view on manual transmission, but again, it looks like he strongly favors track cars, so that could explain his comment. :p Auto all the way for me. I'm going to be a daily driver so that's why it's a must.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:36 AM   #42
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzefzoozoo View Post
Wish GM would announce at Least the existence of an upcoming 1LE.. and I hope it addresses the understeer and seat gripes pointed out in this review.
Same here
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote