The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 12-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
SR-71

Drives: 2015 Z51 Coupe 2LT Shark/red
I'm considering installing a Catch Can, but have a few concerns.

Has anyone that has installed a Catch Can on their C7 had any negative affects, or negative comments from GM, about their warranty?

Also I noticed some brands of Catch Cans attach to the engine, while others attach to the body of the car. I'm curious whether there's a hose flex issue when the car is attached to the body, due to the rotational movement of the engine in the engine mounts?

And if you happen to forget to drain the Can and it fills, is there any chance of the engine gulping a large about of oil during hard acceleration? Seems like this could cause hydro-lock and possible engine damage.
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:16 AM   #16
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I have had a catch can on my C7 since July and had no issues whatsoever with GM an warranty. The installation of any aftermarket parts does not automatically void the warranty. GM would have to prove that a specific part caused a specific problem, and then only that particular repair would not be covered. As a catch can merely adds another layer of oil removal to the PCV system, I can't see where any problem might occur. It's not like a cam change or addition of a supercharger.

My can mounts to the frame and I have had no hose issues. Elite's system comes with hoses longer than needed so you can route them with plenty of slack to accommodate engine twist and avoid moving parts. In 6 months and over 6000 miles, I have had no problem.

The high quality cans will have check valves built in or as an optional upgrade which will prevent sucking up enough oil to hydrolock. Avoid the $50 cheapo versions filling eBay like the plague! Poor design, poor quality, poor results! I check my can every time I check the oil and tire pressure. If you make it part of your regular maintenance routine you should never get close to filling the can. 4000 spirited miles collected only 2 oz in a 12 oz can in my car.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
I have had a catch can on my C7 since July and had no issues whatsoever with GM an warranty. The installation of any aftermarket parts does not automatically void the warranty. GM would have to prove that a specific part caused a specific problem, and then only that particular repair would not be covered. As a catch can merely adds another layer of oil removal to the PCV system, I can't see where any problem might occur. It's not like a cam change or addition of a supercharger.

My can mounts to the frame and I have had no hose issues. Elite's system comes with hoses longer than needed so you can route them with plenty of slack to accommodate engine twist and avoid moving parts. In 6 months and over 6000 miles, I have had no problem.

The high quality cans will have check valves built in or as an optional upgrade which will prevent sucking up enough oil to hydrolock. Avoid the $50 cheapo versions filling eBay like the plague! Poor design, poor quality, poor results! I check my can every time I check the oil and tire pressure. If you make it part of your regular maintenance routine you should never get close to filling the can. 4000 spirited miles collected only 2 oz in a 12 oz can in my car.

That's correct, you should have no warranty issues. We have been installing our Catch Cans for over 10+ years.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #18
Sigelitest

Drives: White 2016 Z06
Please send me a quote for a 2015 stingray catch can