The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 05-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
jsvette

Drives: C7, XTS, Porsche, C70
Question Coupe roof panel options

I am looking for clarification regarding the types of roof options on the new Stingray. As I understand it the 'standard' roof panel is carbon fiber and body colored. So I presume that means it does not allow any light through. Is the CC3 option- the 'Transparent' roof panel also carbon fiber? Does it weigh the same as the standard panel? Is it tinted to reduce heat transfer? Is the C2Z 'visible carbon fiber with body color surround' also transparent? Thanks in advance for helping me decide which I plan on ordering.
jsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvette View Post
I am looking for clarification regarding the types of roof options on the new Stingray. As I understand it the 'standard' roof panel is carbon fiber and body colored. So I presume that means it does not allow any light through. Is the CC3 option- the 'Transparent' roof panel also carbon fiber? Does it weigh the same as the standard panel? Is it tinted to reduce heat transfer? Is the C2Z 'visible carbon fiber with body color surround' also transparent? Thanks in advance for helping me decide which I plan on ordering.
Standard roof is carbon fiber (CFA). $0 Opaque. Body colored.

Exposed carbon fiber weave (C2Z). $1,995. Also opaque. Go watch Jay Leno video or look at the red show car. Looks like a M3 and I love it personally.

Transparent roof (CC3). $995 - basically expected to be the same as the C6. Polycarbonate (Lexan). Will be blue tinted probably. On a nice sunny warm day, it'll bar-b-que your bald spot pretty well. Ask me how I know this.....

You can get two roof packages: C2Q for $1,995 which is the standard body colored roof and the transparent roof. Or C2M for $2,995 which is the exposed carbon fiber weave and the transparent roof.

In the couple of C6's I've riden in or test driven, both had the transparent roof. I thought it was pretty great. If you live in a hot climate (like, say Vegas?) then it might not be the greatest idea IMHO. There are aftermarket interior shades that you can stick up on the inside of the glass roof and block the sunlight though. Ultimately the decision will come down to you. I insist on sunroofs on my current cars so I'll probably pony up the $ for the transparent roof/CF weave package. If you're not a big sunroof person, then you probably can skip the $2K upcharge and put that towards something else. Personally, I consider the NPP (variable exhaust) to be mandatory on a 'Vette.

Hope the above helps. Good luck.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
jsvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
Standard roof is carbon fiber (CFA). $0 Opaque. Body colored.

Exposed carbon fiber weave (C2Z). $1,995. Also opaque. Go watch Jay Leno video or look at the red show car. Looks like a M3 and I love it personally.

Transparent roof (CC3). $995 - basically expected to be the same as the C6. Polycarbonate (Lexan). Will be blue tinted probably. On a nice sunny warm day, it'll bar-b-que your bald spot pretty well. Ask me how I know this.....

You can get two roof packages: C2Q for $1,995 which is the standard body colored roof and the transparent roof. Or C2M for $2,995 which is the exposed carbon fiber weave and the transparent roof.

In the couple of C6's I've riden in or test driven, both had the transparent roof. I thought it was pretty great. If you live in a hot climate (like, say Vegas?) then it might not be the greatest idea IMHO. There are aftermarket interior shades that you can stick up on the inside of the glass roof and block the sunlight though. Ultimately the decision will come down to you. I insist on sunroofs on my current cars so I'll probably pony up the $ for the transparent roof/CF weave package. If you're not a big sunroof person, then you probably can skip the $2K upcharge and put that towards something else. Personally, I consider the NPP (variable exhaust) to be mandatory on a 'Vette.

Hope the above helps. Good luck.
Thanks volsfan0911. A couple of thoughts: I am leaning towards the transparent and based on what you said re baldspot I would probably have a clear heat reflective tint applied to the inside as I have done with my XTS glass roof. Heat is certainly a consideration here in Vegas. Does the weight of the Lexan come close to the weight of the CF (since I do intend removing it alot)? Oh, I agree and mine will have the NPP option for sure.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Philr56

Drives: Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited
Send a message via Skype™ to Philr56
My 2007 C6 had a transparent roof. A couple of guys in my Corvette group opted for removable headliner covers to keep the temp down and reduce the bar-b-que effect. Don't know if it's been addressed, but transparent roofs tend to develop hairline scratches that no amount of buffing or polishing can remove. Just something to consider if you're going the transparent route.
Philr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
jsvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philr56 View Post
My 2007 C6 had a transparent roof. A couple of guys in my Corvette group opted for removable headliner covers to keep the temp down and reduce the bar-b-que effect. Don't know if it's been addressed, but transparent roofs tend to develop hairline scratches that no amount of buffing or polishing can remove. Just something to consider if you're going the transparent route.
Philr56: I am totally new to the Coupe roof panel options. I thought it would be preferable to have the transparent since I expected that would be similar to a sun roof in letting in light and actually seeing through it. Conversely I thought the CF standard would not let in light and have no view through it. Finally I did not know what to expect from the CF exposed with body color edging. Since I live in Vegas I also anticipated having a clear tint heat deflector applied to the inside of the transparent panel. That really helped in the heat reduction coming through my large glass roof in my new XTS. So, are my presumptions above correct from your experience? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
JR-Vette

Drives: 1999 500 HP Corvette
Depending on person's height, how they setup seat, if they race and use a race helmet
Since the Lexan does not have a inside liner like the solid top does it gives a bit more head room
If in doubt sit in and try both tops with and without the type of helmet you use
JR-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Philr56

Drives: Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited
Send a message via Skype™ to Philr56
CF is a whole new concept so I'm not qualified to answer on that material. If the top is transparent, expect more heat. When I sold my 07, potential buyers wanted to know if I had two roofs; they were not willing to buy with just the transparent top. Something to think about. PS: the guy in Mobile, Ala., who bought it didn't mind one bit.
Philr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I bought the dual roof option on our 99 Vette. In South Florida we really could only use it in the winter time, about 8 weeks. The rest of the time it was way too hot. Even when using the cling stick vinyl interior liner it helped but it was still hot. I will not do it again. I will put the money towards some other options. The UV from Florida sun also played havoc with the plastic roof and crystallized the plastic if you exposed the transparent plastic to the sun for long periods of time. I definitely would not get the transparent roof as the only roof if you live in a southern climate zone.