Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Manual Hill Assist

I was wondering if any of the manual owners out there have perfected the hill start with the hill assist on. On my car the brakes are pretty well locked on when it is activated. Also, it activates on the smallest slopes. I have stalled my car once already with the hill assist on. I was messing around with it today and i seems the best practice is to feather the clutch to where you would start to move and hold it there until the hill assist releases. Otherwise it is a rough start if you power through it. Any thoughts or ideas?
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
C5Txfan

Drives: 2004 Corvette
In my 40+ years driving a manual never had a problem taking off on a hill / slope / incline. Wondering why we need assist now ?
C5Txfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
cwl011

I thought it was going to be a great thing for those really steep hill and the cold weather starts on a hill but it is kind of frustrating me.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Only thing I do different on hills without a real handbrake is tapping the gas pedal twice, (not revving, very gently tap to raise the rpm just a little 100-200) then releasing the clutch like on a flat surface. But I shouldn't really say anything because we don't have any hills here... some steep places like driveways or raised rail road tracks lol
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I hate it in my 2015 so much I did the diy fix with the yaw sensor from an automatic. Hopefully there will be some sort of diy fix for the manual 6th gens.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Txfan View Post
In my years driving a manual never had a problem taking off on a hill / slope / incline. Wondering why we need assist now ?
Agreed...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #7
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
Wow everyone is missing OP's point, he isn't asking about starting on hills, he's asking about not looking like an asshat when the hill assist automatically engages when you don't necessarily need it or want it and are taking off on a hill.

To OP, yes I've found the best is to feather the clutch around the release point, otherwise the brakes either don't release and you just sit and rev, or like you mentioned, you stall because you didn't rev enough and the brakes held you back.

I would LOVE if someone found a way to disable the feature all together, I find it more obnoxious than anything. I've never needed hill assist, and any manual car I've owned before this one has at least had the option of turning it on/off.
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #8
Toxicgoober

Drives: 2014 Maxima
The hill assist on the 2016 is just the electronic parking brake right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toxicgoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl011 View Post
I was wondering if any of the manual owners out there have perfected the hill start with the hill assist on. On my car the brakes are pretty well locked on when it is activated. Also, it activates on the smallest slopes. I have stalled my car once already with the hill assist on. I was messing around with it today and i seems the best practice is to feather the clutch to where you would start to move and hold it there until the hill assist releases. Otherwise it is a rough start if you power through it. Any thoughts or ideas?
This is good to know for when I get my car...thanks for posting. I haven't driven a stick since I was a teen so this is going to be fun lol
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #10
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Txfan View Post
In my 40+ years driving a manual never had a problem taking off on a hill / slope / incline. Wondering why we need assist now ?
Because Sir, some people still find it difficult to get the start right, esp on slopes of SF city where the car behind you is so close that u r sure to bump it if u make the slightest of mistake... I get that you are frustrated with the tech coming in and helping you out... but when they build cars, they have to think of the larger audience.. Now if they could allow the driver to have this feature on/off as per their style..that is something I agree with..
Old 01-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
cwl011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
This is good to know for when I get my car...thanks for posting. I haven't driven a stick since I was a teen so this is going to be fun lol
You will have no problem learning manual on this car, it is very forgiving and easy to drive. I am just surprise out little of an incline it take to engage the hill assist.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Yeah that's what I keep hearing. I think the tricky part will be trying to keep the RPMs low during the break-in period lol.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
cwl011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
Yeah that's what I keep hearing. I think the tricky part will be trying to keep the RPMs low during the break-in period lol.
YES!!!! However there is just enough there to satisfy you up to 4K rpms
Old 01-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #14
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
My Subaru had HSA that you could turn on and off. I never used it, but I'm glad the car had it and didn't force me to use it.

This gets into a larger issue of the car limiting certain things I really don't like. I.e., even in Stabilitrak Competitive Mode you still have stability control active, you can never FULLY deactivate all traction/stability aids even if you wanted to, that kind of sucks too.
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote