The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Way2Fun

Drives: Cadillac CTS-V
Feedback About Automatic Transmiission

What's the word about the AT and the paddleshifters? I am a huge fan of paddleshofters after owning several exotics with them. However, I am wondering how good they will be in the Vette.
Way2Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
bnall40

Drives: Z51 3LT, 2009 Pilot, 2012 Ody Tours
Auto paddle shift is used by Corvette Racing and Formula 1 cars. It's instantaneous vs clutch n shift. Most gear heads don't buy into that because the have programmed to think clutch n shift is where it's at. Not so even Chief Engineer Juechter says some of the fastest times are Auto paddle. Because GM very much wants to kick European studs out of the picture NOW and cater to the young market they have focused on the new 7 speed manual with a sexy auto blip rev matching feature which is great, but auto paddle is better! The stats r obscured at the moment because it is all in the GM marketing strategy. Sell straight shift now, auto paddle next. 2 sales!
bnall40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
IMO, the manual vs. auto debate is one of pure personal preference but I don't think that is what you were asking in any event.

The auto in the C7 is a true automatic with a torque converter and not a DCT like in Porsche, the M3, Audi, Ferrari, etc. Whether the performance differences are significant or not is yet to be seen. There is also a lot of speculation that GM will replace the current auto with a new one in the next couple of years that is faster and more capable. Again, speculation.

My bet is the A6 in the C7 is a very good automatic transmission but it wouldn't be as crisp, direct or responsive as a true DCT like the PDK in a Porsche. So, if you owned exotics with paddle shifters you likely had a true DCT, it's unclear how the auto in the C7 will measure up... likely a step behind but also probably pretty good for most jobs.
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
its not double clutch transmission, there for not worth getting.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
bnall40

Drives: Z51 3LT, 2009 Pilot, 2012 Ody Tours
Gthal. U R probably right about the C7 auto trans. After all, marketing strategy would say "Don't give them the whole enchilada " at first, but someday, in the near future, gear-jammers are going to be really pissed when a granny comes blowing by with an auto trans paddle shift. I would like to see the look on their face! Heh heh....
bnall40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
DevonK

Drives: TBD
Rawautos.com has a good detailed review of the C7 up, reviewer loves the car but is no fan of the auto - read if you are contemplating an auto, may dissuade you.
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Too late for me, but the critics could be quite critical lol

I live in traffic and this is my daily driver
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
illiceman

Drives: 2012 ZL 1
Only one man,s opinion. Each and everyone of us has to decide. We all have our wants and needs.
illiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonK View Post
Rawautos.com has a good detailed review of the C7 up, reviewer loves the car but is no fan of the auto - read if you are contemplating an auto, may dissuade you.
The raw autos guy hates DCT and all autos..

He likes manuals in all his reviews of sports cars....

I wouldn't weigh his opinion of an automatic c7 too heavily.

Wait for the reviews in a c7 z51 MRC with NPP and an automatic to decide...

Best to drive each yourself and decide.