Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Opinions on painting interior parts like guage bezels.

I had gold metallic vinyl applied to my interior door panels and my dash trim to match the gold hockey stripes I have on the outside of the car. I want to have the gauge bezels painted along with the knob kit for the stereo, heat/AC knobs, etc. all in the same gold color. My wife is not loving the gold door panels and the dash trim and doesn't want me to do the bezels and the knobs in gold, says it will look to blingy.

I have seen several pictures of cars posted on the forum with all of this stuff painted to match the exterior of the car and I think it looks great. I'm wondering if more of you all like the look or if you like the factory colors just fine. Now that I have the door panels and dash trim done I don't think I have much of a choice but to finish the job by painting the rest of the interior...what do you all think?

Russ
Attached Images

Last edited by OHIOSS; 07-11-2013 at 09:40 PM.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
I'm not sure how I feel about the interior trim being gold... I think if it were on all black interior it might be different, but the Gold and Black feels very Trans-Am to me... that said, you've done some nice things to your ride and I dig it... and as long as YOU dig it... tell the wife to sit down, shut up, and hold on.

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
I like it! I think that once you paint some other parts gold it will look a lot better. The only thing I don't like about it right now, is that it looks a bit out of place in the interior. But once you get some more gold parts it will look really good!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
I like it! I think that once you paint some other parts gold it will look a lot better. The only thing I don't like about it right now, is that it looks a bit out of place in the interior. But once you get some more gold parts it will look really good!
Yeah I agree, that's why I feel that I have no choice but to paint the rest of the inside. I'm still undecided, will have to see what the majority thinks I should do. I like the painted interior so I am leaning more towards having the interior painted -vs- leaving just the door panel and dash trim painted.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
tell the wife to sit down, shut up, and hold on.
Ha ha, got to love that advice!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Think about it, and if you do decide, painting the trim around the center duct should be done when the HUD is installed.

Maybe do the stitching?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Where do you get the knob kits?? Just curious...

My opinion- go all out. I dig the black gold. I just did my interior in royal blue and keeping outside all black except a few blue touches (emblem and calipers)
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Think about it, and if you do decide, painting the trim around the center duct should be done when the HUD is installed.

Maybe do the stitching?
I didn't think the trim around the center duct was removeable. What stitching are you talking about? How do I change the color of the stitching?

The knob kits are on eBay and Phastek also sells them. I was going to buy the silver satin and have them painted gold. They sell the knobs already painted to match all of the exterior colors. I really like the look of the painted knobs to match the exterior of the car.

Russ
Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Lupe at rivercity is your answer......for paint
lupe@camarocustoms.com

a dye pen changes the stitching color....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
TwentyTen2SSRS

Russ,

Me too! Ill check eBay for the knobs. I did a custom royal blue interior so don't have a "standard" GM color.

I did my stitching on my dash and seats. Use colored fabric pen I got from Joanne's Fabric. $5 mod and they have gold!
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
OHIOSS
Russ

Thanks Black Op's and Glen E, I never heard of a fabric dye pen. There is a JoAnn Fabrics store within a couple of miles of me, guess I know where I will be going tomorrow.

Glen E- welcome to the forum, I seen some of your posts but I didn't know you were the same Glen E from THT.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I didn't think the trim around the center duct was removeable. What stitching are you talking about? How do I change the color of the stitching?

The knob kits are on eBay and Phastek also sells them. I was going to buy the silver satin and have them painted gold. They sell the knobs already painted to match all of the exterior colors. I really like the look of the painted knobs to match the exterior of the car.

Russ
The center duct is removable, but you have to pull the whole dash to get to it.

On the 2012+ dash you can remove the center duct without removing the dash.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
The center duct is removable, but you have to pull the whole dash to get to it.

On the 2012+ dash you can remove the center duct without removing the dash.
I have a 2013.. I can get to it without removing dash? Do you know how?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
OHIOSS
Russ

In checking out what I want to have painted the only things I could remove to be painted is the dash trim around the speedo/tach and the shifter/gage bezel. I am likely to buy a knob kit and have them painted but what else have you guys had painted? The doors and dash trim are done but I can't see anything else I can remove without going through a bunch of work.

Russ

Last edited by OHIOSS; 07-16-2013 at 05:12 AM.