The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
SS to C7?

So, how's it going guys?

I've had my Camaro for nearly four years now and the time with it has flown by, literally and sometimes I just get the itch for something new.

I had been planning to delve into some heavy modding in early 2015 for the SS to regain some joy out of it, but now I've run into a bit of a dilemma... as recently I've been watching too many C7 videos and reading far too much information...

My question for y'all is, simply put, was the trade from the Camaro entirely worth it? I know a lot of you have done it. Obviously the C7 is vastly superior, but is there anything you particularly miss about the "old" car?

I've also got the fantasy of waiting on the Z06, but it seems like it's going to be nearly ZR1 kind of money. If it gets priced at around $80k though... a young man can dream though right?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read guys. I've got a couple other more specific questions, but I'll hold onto those for now.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Overtime

Drives: 2014 Artic white stingray ordered
I wondered the same thing Sold my Camaro 4 weeks ago now im waiting on my c7 z51 to come in. I have ordered several things for it already and I can tell you everything is more expensive but I drove a friends non z51 a few weeks ago and the handling is far better. Now I am going to miss the sound and power in a straight line I was a bit over 700 to the wheel. but the interior is so much more comfortable also.
3300....03/24/2014 TPW 4/7
3400....03/31/2014 TPW 4/7
3800....04/09/2014
4B00....04/10/2014
4200....MYSTERY
5000....04/14/2014

Overtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
I sold my 2012 Camaro RS last fall and just and ordered my C7 about a month ago. I wanted something newer and faster as well and was planning on buying a C6 Camaro until they introduced the C7 Corvette. I immediately fell in love with the C7, but it took me awhile to make my decision because of the price. Going from a $30k Camaro to a $70k Corvette is a big jump, especially for someone still in their teens. But I decided that it was worth it and that you only live once. I also was affraid that GM would screw up the C6 Camaro, especially after seeing the 2014 Camaro's....

The only other thing that you need to consider is the back seats. But as long as you have another vehicle, then it's not a problem. The C5 is a great car but there is really nothing else that you're losing my making the switch.

So buy the C7 already!!!! What are you waiting for!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
OldSchool

Drives: 2014 LRG 2LT Z51 Stingray
I thoroughly enjoyed driving my 2010 Camaro (2LT/RS) and was not thinking of trading it in until I saw the unveiling of the 2014 Corvette. If you can afford the cost, by all means go for it. I picked up my car on January 16 and love it. Driving has been limited because of the awful winter we've had (just under 700 miles put on since I picked it up), but I'm looking forward to driving more as the weather gets better.

Even with the all-season tires I put on for the winter the car has amazing handling and I'm anticipating even better handling when I switch back to the summer only tires. I find myself checking the weather forecast each evening hoping the weather will be good the next day so I can drive the Stingray. It's a letdown when the weather doesn't cooperate and I have to drive my winter car.

One unexpected benefit is the gas mileage I'm getting. My combination of city/highway driving was getting me just over 23 mpg in the V6 Camaro (using winter blend gas), and I've been getting 22.5 mpg on the Vette under the same circumstances.

With your mods you may be trading down in power, but I guarantee you will be happy with the switch.
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
I will say I had a blast with my 2010 SS. It was the funnest car I'd owned to that point, and I've had several luxury & SUV's. The Camaro took me back to my gritty roots. It was down and dirty, and stylish at the same time. Then...holy moly donut shop!!!...the C7 burst on the scene. It's even more grittier than the Camaro. Just as stylish as a Ferrari or Porsche. I get thumbs-up on every drive from the time I leave my house til the time I get home. Freeways, surface streets, parking lots, red lights, you name it. I got quite a bunch in my Camaro, but nothing like this. Good luck if you get a C7 OP...I'm sure you're already used to the WOW treatment.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
jrock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate GM View Post
Going from a $30k Camaro to a $70k Corvette is a big jump, especially for someone still in their teens. But I decided that it was worth it and that you only live once.

....and i thought i was a young Corvette owner at 29.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
jrock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I traded in my SS for a Z51. I do not regret it at all. The SS was about to be paid off but it's worth another five years of payments for this car. There's not one thing I miss about the SS except for the backseat. The difference in quality is evident from the first time you sit in and drive the car.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
I traded my SS in when I ordered the C7 on November 1st.
I was really thinking I may have made a mistake after a couple of weeks missing my SS while waiting for my ordered Stingray to arrive.

I picked up my C7 on January 15th. About 1/2 mile from the dealership I realized I made a fantastic decision and the more I get to know the C7 the happier I get.

NO regrets.
Attached Images

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
....and i thought i was a young Corvette owner at 29.
You still are!!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Awesome, thanks for the replies guys. I absolutely love my Camaro, but I figure I'd be putting ~$20k into it next year anyway... why not put $20k in as a down payment plus the trade in for the C7, which would be a 2LT Z51... or the Z06. We'll see.

A few more questions regarding the C7 specifically:

1. What's the exhaust note like? Is it like a LSx? I'd have no plans to leave it stock, but current videos/the current aftermarket are not to my taste, note wise. Just don't like Corsa/Kooks/ARH exhausts. Of course the likes of Stainless Works or Borla are working on their own products, surely.

2. I'd been thinking of going with manual, my current car is the auto. It would be my first manual, but also my DD. I figure with the rev matching it'd be a cake walk to learn. Though if I did decide on the Z06, that 8 speed auto seems badass. Opinions?

3. Sound system. I'd likely take my speakers and amps out of my Camaro and put them in the C7. My biggest concern about all of that is the head unit. If I remember right, it took about a year for the first Metro dash units to release for the Camaro. Is this something that is being worked on for the C7, or is it likely that we'll be stuck with the proprietary unit due to GM's design? I could always add a good processor, but of course a solid head unit is preferred and I quite like the Pioneer Z150 I already have.

4. Last thing that I doubt anyone really has an answer for. Will there be a Grand Sport or similar model? Asking because other than the tracking ability of the Z06, I just really prefer the wider fenders. So if the Z does cost $100k and I end up crying myself to sleep over it, I'd love the option to get at least the fenders on a Stingray... again I'm sure that's not at all known at this time haha.

Edit: ALSO! The AFM. Hated it with a passion before I tuned it out of my car. I remember somewhat recently that their was a tune-free mod to eliminate the AFM though. Is that available for C7 owners yet?
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
1. What's the exhaust note like? Is it like a LSx? I'd have no plans to leave it stock, but current videos/the current aftermarket are not to my taste, note wise. Just don't like Corsa/Kooks/ARH exhausts. Of course the likes of Stainless Works or Borla are working on their own products, surely.

Get the NPP. It sounds great. Not as loud as my SS w/ LT headers and Borla ATAK but good enough that I'm not going to mess with it. I've gone into "settings" and have put mine to always sound aggressive, even in "touring", "eco" etc.

2. I'd been thinking of going with manual, my current car is the auto. It would be my first manual, but also my DD. I figure with the rev matching it'd be a cake walk to learn. Though if I did decide on the Z06, that 8 speed auto seems badass. Opinions?

I've got the auto for 2 reasons: wife can't drive a manual and she is the designated driver at times..... and, I'll be moving to a high traffic area next year... I'd hate the manual in bumper to bumper. The A6 is great.... shifts very quick...... it's not your mom's auto trans.

Here is a thread that I started to get some info on the transmission after I shot a video of how quick and loud the shifts are under WOT.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-question.html

3. Sound system. I'd likely take my speakers and amps out of my Camaro and put them in the C7. My biggest concern about all of that is the head unit. If I remember right, it took about a year for the first Metro dash units to release for the Camaro. Is this something that is being worked on for the C7, or is it likely that we'll be stuck with the proprietary unit due to GM's design? I could always add a good processor, but of course a solid head unit is preferred and I quite like the Pioneer Z150 I already have.

You will NOT want to change the c7 head unit. I did that to my Camaro and spent about $2,500 upgrading the head unit, Scoeshe kit, and amp.... the C7 unit sounds better from day 1. The C7 head unit has a drop down screen revealing a secret compartment for your iphone, wallet, or concealed handgun.... whatever you choose.

4. Last thing that I doubt anyone really has an answer for. Will there be a Grand Sport or similar model? Asking because other than the tracking ability of the Z06, I just really prefer the wider fenders. So if the Z does cost $100k and I end up crying myself to sleep over it, I'd love the option to get at least the fenders on a Stingray... again I'm sure that's not at all known at this time haha.

Don't know but rumors say no GS in the near future. Z06 maybe next year with MSRP starting at $95,000 is the rumor for that.

The AFM. Hated it with a passion before I tuned it out of my car. I remember somewhat recently that their was a tune-free mod to eliminate the AFM though. Is that available for C7 owners yet?

I also hated the Camaro's AFM. Tuning that out was a must after I had the headers installed. GREAT NEWS FOR YOU! The C7 AFM is not noticeable at all. I promise you won't even know when it kicks in if you don't have your display set to show the V8/V4 mode. No need to tune it out.

-Eric

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
I went from 2SS/RS to ZL1 to C7 and haven't looked back.

I loved my Camaros, but my $61k ZL1 just felt cheap compared to the C7 I test drove.

I got back from my test drive, traded in my ZL1, and ordered my C7.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
Mako1

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray
Just dove a total of 19hrs round trip to trade in my 2010 ss for my Laguna blue stingray and even though I loved my camaro I totally have no regrets!!!
Mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote