The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
efarley

Drives: 2009 Audi S5
shifter difficult to move to 7/R

Hey,

I was checking out a vette at the dealer and decided to run the shifter through the gears to see how she feels. First through six was fine. However when I moved it into the final pair of gears (7/R) it felt like the shifter hit a wall between the third and fourth column on the shifter. It went into those gears but it took noticeably more effort to engage those gears.

Is that normal? If so does it loosen up with use or get better when the engine is running? I can see that causing a lot of missed shifts for people going from 6 to 7th with how much more effort was required. Especially considering the typical age a corvette owner lol
efarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Hmmm. No issues with shifting through the manual trans' gates on my previous coupe and current 'vert. And there's a safety lockout feature so that you don't inadvertently or purposely shift into R, especially from 7th, at speed.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
efarley

Drives: 2009 Audi S5
Interesting, on the c7 I was in i didn't notice anything going from 7 to r, just that column as a whole. Sounds like it might feel different based on if the car is on or not, like breaks and steering.

I'm making numbers up here but if we say it takes 5 lbs of force to shift from 2-3 and 4-5 then it felt like it took about 15 lbs of force to go from 6-7
efarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
thrilled

Drives: 1LT
I believe after 4th gear there is A spring to the right.Ya have to use A little pressure.
As far as going from 7 to reverse I've never done it.I always downshift.So when I'm stopped I'm in 1st,then if I need to back I go into reverse.No problems.
thrilled is offline   Reply With Quote