The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Silver stays top color for vehicles; red, orange rise

Silver stays top color for vehicles; red, orange rise

November 30, 2006

BY JASON ROBERSON
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Across the world, silver was selected as the most popular color for vehicles for the seventh consecutive year.

But brighter colors like red and orange posted significant growth, according to DuPont Automotive's 2006 Color Popularity Report.

Silver pushed green aside in 2000 as the No. 1 color on automakers' palette and it has maintained top billing longer than any color during the 54 years DuPont has been tracking automotive color preferences.

"I purchased a silver car because along with white it looks the best with blackwalls," said Edward Gorzalski, a Free Press reader. "If whitewalls ever regain their former popularity, the likelihood is that silver will decline in popularity -- just one man's opinion."

DuPont says in the future there will be a trend toward infusing neutral colors like shades of gray with greens, reds and purples, which provides customers a broader option of choices.

The DuPont Global Color Popularity Report includes segmentation by world regions as well as by vehicle type. This year, the report is segmented further to highlight variations within the Asian markets.

"We are seeing a growing convergence in color preference globally," said Karen Surcina, color marketing and technology manager for DuPont Automotive Systems. "But while the world is becoming flatter and tastes are harmonizing globally, we think that it is also important to look deeply at the cultural and taste differences in large and growing markets, such as Asia."

Japan's color choices remain consistent with last year's overall Asian results where neutrals were dominant, with silver at 27%; white or pearl, 24%; black, 16% and gray, 12%.

A clear trend for the future includes warmer tones such as red as well as the continued strength of blue. Blue and red have strengthened their positions as popular vehicle colors in North America each with 11% share, and in China with 17% share for blue and 9% share for red. Blue remains a top choice in Europe with a 13% share overall and a top three color choice in the compact-sport segment with a 15% share.

According to the Socionomics Institute in Gainesville, Ga., color trends provide insight into the larger public mood in North America.

"The popularity of silver has correlated with the optimism that attended the twin financial manias of the past nine years, the stock market boom surrounding the year 2000 and the housing boom since then," said Mark Galasiewski, a senior analyst at the institute, in a statement released by DuPont. "The spread of silver's popularity worldwide since 1998 has also mirrored the synchronization of global equity markets."

The coming period could be remarkably similar to the late 1960s and early 1970s, when white, a color that had championed a long economic expansion, suddenly faced challengers
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
Mestizo

Drives: American V8
I've always been told Silver is the "safest" color reflects easy at night.

However, I've loved recent Oranges by Ford, GM, and DCX. Don't know if I could bring myself to having a Orange car every day for the next couple of years, but I am a hardcore fan of the color.
Mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Love orange too. It would have to be SOM in order for me to get it.

Also a little info (if I recall correctly)...The #1 color for vehicles involved in accidents is silver. Don't know if it's due to popularity or other unknown reasons.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
idk I like black, Black and crome damn they look good together
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
idk I like black, Black and crome damn they look good together
Agree 100%! Only bad thing about black is that it is hard to keep looking good as it shows dirt so bad... Silver on the other hand can go forever without a wash and you can never tell.

I will still be getting black though!
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
IMO, some cars just look better in different colors. The Silverado has always looked the best in blue. The Malibu has looked better in a purple/red. the 3rd generation Camaro looked great in Red. The 4th Generation looked coolest in black. Every car is a little different.
Silver is easy to keep clean, but it has become a generic color, you see it everywhere.
I'm liking dark blues, it has the dark, mean look like black, but doesn't show as much dirt. Chrome looks good with it, and it adds a little cockiness to the bad-ass demeanor of black.

just my Opinion on colors.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I seriously want black. But, it's so freakin tough to keep clean. I mean, my God....I wash it only to have one puff of wind blow my way and wah-lah...dust all over my car. Then, three days later...a freak, isolated thunderstorm....directly over my house or work...it won't matter which...the rain will find it.:(
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
marcajrfan

Drives: 2012 crt lt 1 rs,silver stripes
every person that has seen my car up close has said iom is the color for this car almost went for silver but we've had 3 silver cars in the last 7 yrs. iom rocks!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I seriously want black. But, it's so freakin tough to keep clean. I mean, my God....I wash it only to have one puff of wind blow my way and wah-lah...dust all over my car. Then, three days later...a freak, isolated thunderstorm....directly over my house or work...it won't matter which...the rain will find it.:(
Will never own another black car.

*three hours later*

"Yay! Finally done washing the Envoy!"

*thunder/lightning*

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UU!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestizo View Post
I've always been told Silver is the "safest" color reflects easy at night.

However, I've loved recent Oranges by Ford, GM, and DCX. Don't know if I could bring myself to having a Orange car every day for the next couple of years, but I am a hardcore fan of the color.
LOL, ever heard of rain?

Silver cars vanish.

Anyways, silver falls into the bland catagory for me. Far to many people who cant drive own silver, beige or tan vehicles.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
MrGood

Drives: Broken palmghetto test car
Send a message via Yahoo to MrGood
Silver looks nice on a lot of cars therefore, a lot of people drive silver cars.. Which was the reason silver was instantly ruled out of the possible colors for my Camaro.. I went with ABM because on top of being outstandingly beautiful, its different and stands out. (even though the cam does already).. And now the colors getting axed so there will be few of them around.. But i can see why a lot of people buy silver.
MrGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
the silver on my car is amazing and everybody knows silver is the fastest color lol
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
tbyrne

Drives: 1993+1998 Z-28s - past cars
I've owned alot of different colored vehicles over the years. I like GM's Indigo Blue on pickups and SUVs. Red, orange and yellow all make sports cars stand out. Actually, pretty much anything painted yellow will be noticed! Silver is a sharp looking color. Black is beautiful when it's detailed but I won't own a black vehicle. No time to take care of it.
tbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote