Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #155
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
He's got a stick car. Really can't compare.
Ah. True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
For your injectors PQ, you can always resize the stock ones. I resized my Ls1's to 65lbs and never had a fueling issue and tuning was easy too.

http://www.stiegemeier.com/injectors.html
Cheaper?

I'll save this for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
high 11's. I'm still not used to the car. It has been in and out of the shop for the better part of a year now. Every time i get it back It feels different. I've only been to the track a few times this summer, all real hot nights. The IAT issue has not been resolved yet and she is pulling a lot of timing. I am confident she will get into the 10's once i get a little more wheel time under my belt. Hopefully the chiller does what it's supposed to do and solves my IAT issue.
Liquid nitrogene in the collant reservior.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #156
PQ
Booooosted.

Hey Jamie?

Does that cog drive get quieter as miles are put on it?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #157
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Ok so after reading all of that what do you need answered? I'm a tad lost!
Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #158
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@Livernois View Post
Ok so after reading all of that what do you need answered? I'm a tad lost!
So few things here Chris.

Maybe the 419 is not the way to go with the Maggie? A few decent points have been brought up. If the TVS2300 can’t keep up with the extra cubes and IATs get to hot and pull timing then I’ll be up against it. Especially if I lower the compression.

Keep in mind here, I have to disassemble the rotating assembly tonight or tomorrow. So the following is just a rough brainstorm on my ideas.

Obviously I have decided to abandon the option of buying 2 lifters, a new cam and running it into the ground. Lol

If there is no damage to the crank, bearings, etc…… or any signs of metal shavings anywhere then I can just buy a cam, lifters, springs and put it all back together and wait til I save the money for a built long block from you guys.

This option costs me little for now and I have my car back for a while and I save for the built long block.

If there is damage I can swap only the parts that are damaged and put it back together with the new valve train parts I need to get the car going again.

This option cost me a little more but still have my car back for a while and I save for the built long block.

Damage or no damage, I order a forged stroker kit from you guys for this 376 and have the block cleaned and honed accordingly. (or bored specific) At this point I’d also have the heads cleaned and ported as well. Add the new valvetrain parts I have to buy anyway and get the crank turned and new bearings. Basically a rebuild.

This option costs a lot more but I’d have a new engine essentially and be done with some money for the fuel upgrades I need.

I will not buy a bigger blower so I have to decide and study whether a Maggie can work well with a 419 stroked down for FI. Maybe a 419 with 11.1 would be better?

Anyway, Chris, that’s the banter in my head right now.

You guys can get a stroker kit for me with an engine bored locally here right? Would it cost more? Then the cam and all you can spec out for me and I can assemble it all here.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #159
PQ
Booooosted.

Name:  DSFSAF DF DS.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  115.1 KB
Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #160
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
So few things here Chris.

Maybe the 419 is not the way to go with the Maggie? A few decent points have been brought up. If the TVS2300 can’t keep up with the extra cubes and IATs get to hot and pull timing then I’ll be up against it. Especially if I lower the compression.

Keep in mind here, I have to disassemble the rotating assembly tonight or tomorrow. So the following is just a rough brainstorm on my ideas.

Obviously I have decided to abandon the option of buying 2 lifters, a new cam and running it into the ground. Lol

If there is no damage to the crank, bearings, etc…… or any signs of metal shavings anywhere then I can just buy a cam, lifters, springs and put it all back together and wait til I save the money for a built long block from you guys.

This option costs me little for now and I have my car back for a while and I save for the built long block.

If there is damage I can swap only the parts that are damaged and put it back together with the new valve train parts I need to get the car going again.

This option cost me a little more but still have my car back for a while and I save for the built long block.

Damage or no damage, I order a forged stroker kit from you guys for this 376 and have the block cleaned and honed accordingly. (or bored specific) At this point I’d also have the heads cleaned and ported as well. Add the new valvetrain parts I have to buy anyway and get the crank turned and new bearings. Basically a rebuild.

This option costs a lot more but I’d have a new engine essentially and be done with some money for the fuel upgrades I need.

I will not buy a bigger blower so I have to decide and study whether a Maggie can work well with a 419 stroked down for FI. Maybe a 419 with 11.1 would be better?

Anyway, Chris, that’s the banter in my head right now.

You guys can get a stroker kit for me with an engine bored locally here right? Would it cost more? Then the cam and all you can spec out for me and I can assemble it all here.
Put forged pistons and rods in your block now assuming that it's not damage. DONE. You're not building a pro drag car so why go into it so deep. I'll hook you up on a set ok good rods for half the price of buying them new.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #161
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:

Rephrase that....You drive us all crazy with all your questions....Not just now!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #162
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Rephrase that....You drive us all crazy with all your questions....Not just now!

haha

Quote:
Put forged pistons and rods in your block now assuming that it's not damage. DONE. You're not building a pro drag car so why go into it so deep. I'll hook you up on a set ok good rods for half the price of buying them new.
And bearings of course.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #163
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:

haha

And bearings of course.

Yeah but that's peanuts. I believe you're over thinking this. You said it yourself that you don't want an 8 second car so why start chasing those types of engines. You also want to control the costs and no better way than to reuse what you can that you currently have. A well built / forged ls3 will give you a lifetime of use and abuse without making you go broke. It's at least worth considering.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #164
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Yeah but that's peanuts. I believe you're over thinking this. You said it yourself that you don't want an 8 second car so why start chasing those types of engines. You also want to control the costs and no better way than to reuse what you can that you currently have. A well built / forged ls3 will give you a lifetime of use and abuse without making you go broke. It's at least worth considering.
Oh, no doubt. And it's a consideration for sure.

My engine has/had 95k miles on it and I just would rather start with a new slate as far as the wearables. Anything that loses life. Which I guess is the cam, all bearings, springs, lifters, valves etc.

The scoring where the cam seats is concerning. I'm headed out to the garage right now to work on it.

Oh, and I said I don't want a 9 second car. LMAO
Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #165
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
The scoring where the cam seats is concerning.
Those are bearings that get replaced also, unless your talking about something else I missed in the photos.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #166
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
Those are bearings that get replaced also, unless your talking about something else I missed in the photos.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
Nope. The cam bearings are what I'm talking about.

Never got to get out there tonight. Tomorrow.

I suppose I can rent a cam bearing tool.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #167
PQ
Booooosted.

Ready to break down tomorrow.

Time is so scarce I swear it will take me forever to build this freaking thing.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #168
RonC

Drives: 2010 2SS - RS
I have been following the "adventure" with your car & was wondering if you had thought about keeping the original block for any collector car value later? Not that the early pre-order Camaros may be that "special" in the future, but you never know. It might make a difference if you keep it a long time.

I have a red 67 RS-SS Camaro high option dealer demo car that still has the matching # engine that was rebuilt 30 years ago. Most just replaced with a new shortblock but I'm sure glad they didn't on this one, it even has factory cruise control put on only 305 67's.

The "Mini Stroker" using your block sounds tempting to me if you can swing it. Hope it all works out well for you.

Ron
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote