The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 06:10 AM   #1
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Z06 Overheating fix on the way

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/21/2...-fix-official/

Quote:
With production suspended on the Chevrolet Corvette Z06, General Motors has been hard at work figuring out a solution to its overheating woes. Here's the fix – starting with the 2017 model year, Chevy will switch to a new hood with larger vents and a new supercharger cover, both designed with cooling in mind.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
I love how GM's response was that it only affected 5% of owners.

Yea...that's the 5% that is actually trying to use the 650 hp they purchased.

It's good that they fixed it for vehicles being produced going forward, but what are they going to do for current owners with cars that are pulling timing and going limp because of inadequate cooling?
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post

It's good that they fixed it for vehicles being produced going forward, but what are they going to do for current owners with cars that are pulling timing and going limp because of inadequate cooling?
Quote:
"We intend to have the new hardware as a relatively straight forward retrofit to existing cars. We'll announce timing and pricing as we get closer to the restart of Z06 production. So look for an update from us in the coming months."
Old 07-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
Quote:

Exactly!
So now, all of the current owners who are having issues are going to have to hand over more of their cash to fix the manufacturers problem....somehow that seems ridiculous.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #5
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
I've heard there's an upgraded radiator in the works as well. It sucks that it's an issue to begin with though, I have a friend with a 2016 Z that has had overheating issues on track, so he's stuck between either paying to upgrade his or trading on a '17.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
This is definitely an issue GM had to address. When you buy a $90-100k vehicle that is hyped up to destroy cars costing 2.5 times as much, you expect performance and reliability. The only thing I do not agree with is the fact that GM is going to charge customers to retrofit the parts needed to fix the problem. It is GM's problem...not the consumers'.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
We'll announce timing and pricing as we get closer to the restart of Z06 production.
The bolded part is the thing that's rubbing me wrong here. GM expects people to come out of pocket to fix a design flaw for a bunch of $100k cars that are less than 2 years old and still under warranty?

This seems like a class action suit waiting to happen. The redesign admits there was a problem. It seems a bit deceptive to sell a 650 hp car that can only be pressed for a couple minutes before going limp and/or only achieve peak output with the hood open, then ask the customers of the cars with problems (which is probably all of them, but many never see the track) to pony up even more money get the car to operate as designed.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
The bolded part is the thing that's rubbing me wrong here. GM expects people to come out of pocket to fix a design flaw for a bunch of $100k cars that are less than 2 years old and still under warranty?

This seems like a class action suit waiting to happen. The redesign admits there was a problem. It seems a bit deceptive to sell a 650 hp car that can only be pressed for a couple minutes before going limp and/or only achieve peak output with the hood open, then ask the customers of the cars with problems (which is probably all of them, but many never see the track) to pony up even more money get the car to operate as designed.
I would never expect a supercharged engine to be able to deliver maximum power all day long
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I would never expect a supercharged engine to be able to deliver maximum power all day long
All day long? No. More than 10 minutes? Yes.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
All day long? No. More than 10 minutes? Yes.
This ^

This is the highest performing vehicle that GM builds, realized that something was not sufficient and now wants to charge people for the retrofit?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I bet they end up taking care of Z06 owners....the same way they took care of ZL1 S/C issues. ..
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
So these world class engineers came up with a new hood and supercharger cover?

I'm no engineer... but I mean jeez, you'd figure they'd deploy something more... convincing.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #14
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
So these world class engineers came up with a new hood and supercharger cover?

I'm no engineer... but I mean jeez, you'd figure they'd deploy something more... convincing.
I mean if it works whats the problem? If the Z06 came like from the factory no one would have an issue with it. so why is it a problem now if the fix is just a new hood an lid?