Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
peterg.

Drives: Testarossa, 911, Camel Lights car,
Should I buy a ZL1?

Hello, everyone. Would love your collective wisdom. After daily driving a 2010 RS/2SS 6 speed manual Camaro for almost 7 years, I just got rid of it, and am noodling over my next daily driver. I was fixated on the Corvette Grand Sport (has the widebody and cosmetics of the Z06 but with the non-Z06 engine), but am now starting to lean towards perhaps getting a ZL1. Anyone have any positives, negatives, comments, etc., considering that it will be used as a daily driver? And are there any particular years to stay away from? I never like to take the big depreciation hit by buying new, so I usually try to buy something with low miles (say less than 15k) that is still under warranty. And should I stay away form the ones I see with bolt-ons that are jacking the hp up to 650 - 700 hp?

I do separately have a few high-end fun exotics that I would never daily drive, but the ZL1 looks like it can give me a thrill to drive every day. thx!
peterg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
I don't have anything negative to say about them...if you have been daily driving a regular Camaro so long, then you already know the downsides (small trunk opening, visibility slightly annoying for highway lane changes/etc). Otherwise IMO a ZL1 would be a really kick ass daily driver. I like the way they handle over a regular one.

I would stay away from a modded one, but for me that goes for any car...I just don't really trust someone else putting it together besides myself/our shop. I just like a bone stock car that's been well maintained if I can find one.

Now don't get me wrong I really love corvettes too but I'm getting older now and they are kind of a pain to get in/out of for daily driving. LOL.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
A ZL1 will make a great daily driver. Buy a stock car with sub 10k miles and you'll be happy for quite a few years. Not sure if driving it through the winter is a good idea in Maryland, you'll have to get a snow-friendly tire because the stock tires shouldn't move below 40 degrees.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Positives: 1. Excellent cockpit and seating position. 2. Razor sharp steering. 3. 6 speed gearbox makes the car seem almost limitless in power and speed. 4. Appearance and stance that won't be mistaken for anything else. 5. Outstanding powertrain and handling.

Negatives: 1. It is not fuel efficient. 2. Rock Chip magnet. 3. The car is large, and you will need to get used to driving a large car if you have not done so previously.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Absolutely ZERO point in getting a Grand Sport at this point. Seriously, it has all the characteristics of a Z06... but with no Z06 engine and it costs just as much as a Z06... wtf!?

Might as well get the Z06 ... if you're choosing between a ZL1 and a c6 Z06.... enjoy your z06 lol
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
I don't have anything negative to say about them...if you have been daily driving a regular Camaro so long, then you already know the downsides (small trunk opening, visibility slightly annoying for highway lane changes/etc). Otherwise IMO a ZL1 would be a really kick ass daily driver. I like the way they handle over a regular one.

I would stay away from a modded one, but for me that goes for any car...I just don't really trust someone else putting it together besides myself/our shop. I just like a bone stock car that's been well maintained if I can find one.

Now don't get me wrong I really love corvettes too but I'm getting older now and they are kind of a pain to get in/out of for daily driving. LOL.
If you go with a mod'ed car you might ask for receipts to see who did the work. I also don't want to deal with an engine that had the crank balancer pounded on with a hammer. Mods might require methanol injection or octane booster if it is not setup for e85. I should say mods past a certain hp level. That depends on the mods and engine boost. For example a cam won't require extra octane but a 5 psi increase in boost for sure will.
The corvette crowd might be more to your liking for prestige? We can't help you with that decision. See what drivers have similar leather driving gloves that you'll enjoy conversing with
Edit: The ZL1's are robust and properly installed mods and tunes of your comment of 650 to 700hp could still be reliable and daily driver, depends on what they are and who did them. Again mindful of octane boosters required or race gas, and big cams require valve spring replacement as a wear item. Don't expect 100k miles on them.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
ZL1 Maniac

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Red Hot M6
Yes
ZL1 Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
arussh

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs, 1990 iroc-z
Zl1 is the way to go... low mile slightly modded (bolt ons)with receipts should be fine or a stocker either way great ride
2011 2SS/RS 6.4 sleeved ls7, ported CTSV supercharger; zl1 hat,fuel pump with Kenny Bell boosta pump,102 throttle body,6l90e g-force driveshaft,zl1 rearend and axels, ID 850s, dual pass heat exchanger; Auto Tech electric water pump;160 degree themostat; ls7 pushrods,rockers; Metco polished pulley kit, 2.4ud; ls3 assessory bracket kit;2 Hayes trans coolers; CAI intake; Texas Speed 1 7/8 headers; 3" Magnaflow exhaust; Alkycontrol meth kit; p;Elite catch can; BMR 1" lowering springs,
ZL1 10" front 11" rear rims, trans and engine tune by wally a.
arussh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Yes... i did switched from a v6 to a zl1.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I daily drive my car and I love it. See mods in signature. I recommend getting the ZL1 over the grand sport. I had a 2010 GS and it was fun to drive but I was always worried about door dings or smashing the nose on a curb or parking stop.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote