The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Vuron00

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT
Allocation question

I had this entire allocation thing down years ago when I was on the waiting list for the Camaro, but I think things are a little different for the Corvettes.

I read an article from earlier this year that said the dealer's initial allocations would be their allocations through the end of 2013.

I guess my question is... If my dealer has 3 initial allocations and I'm #4 on the list, when can I expect my build to start? For the Camaro, if they had 3 initial, than they would have 3 the next month, and 3 the next, etc. Do the Corvette allocations work the same? Should my dealer have 3 more allocations the following month, so my build should be in September?

It's strange to me because I called one of the largest dealers on the east coast and was told they were already taking order for delivery dates in February. So, I might order from a local dealer even though they are pretty clueless but have good service.
Vuron00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
When the 5th Gen Camaro came out, allocations were based on anticipating delivering several tens of thousands in the first year of production. Deliveries far exceeded projections and Chevrolet had to continue first year production into September. We do not know what Chevrolet is projecting for the Stingray but I would guess something in the area of 30-36K. The C6 delivered over 37K in its first model year.

Bear in mind that only 900 dealers have or will get Stingray allocations for the next several months and probably 1000 dealers will never get one while every Chevrolet dealer got Camaro allocations in the first year of production - meeting that goal is the most likely reason the Camaro continued the first year past Labor Day.

So it is understandable you are having trouble getting a handle on how the system is working. There are few things set in stone about the process other than this: Chevrolet has to meet its standards for deliveries to its dealers or face litigation. Those dealers who have stuck with Corvette when it was selling 12K a year have a litigatable right to expect Chevrolet to stick with them in this first model year for the new Corvette Stingray. And that is exactly what I see Chevrolet is doing.

And to answer your question: no one knows for certain. Production has yet to begin so until Chevrolet knows how many can roll off the line each day it is all a guess. Even guessing a February build or delivery date is just a guess. But when selecting a dealer make sure you select one who has sold Corvettes in previous years; about one third of Chevrolet dealers have not sold more than two Corvettes in three years since the Corvette first came into being and some have never sold one. If they have not in the past they will not in the future.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Vuron00

Thanks for the reply.

My local dealer told me that they have 3 initial allocations and have accepted 3 orders and that I would be #4.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what being #4 means in this case. I'm OK if those initial 3 are filled in the first month or 2 and I'm immediately after, but I'm no OK if those initial 3 are spread out from August to December and they don't get more allocations until January. I could order from a dealership that I know still has open allocations, but they're 300 miles away and would make things a little more difficult for me.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
mrrrkva

Drives: 2014 Stingray z51
I would say that you are a minimum of 6 months from getting one, but closer to 9. I would ask your dealer if that was 3 in the first consensus, or 3 over the next 6-9 months. If it was 3 in the first consensus, you might be in luck if it is 3 in the next 6-9 months, well you may be looking at getting one next summer.
mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuron00 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

My local dealer told me that they have 3 initial allocations and have accepted 3 orders and that I would be #4.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what being #4 means in this case. I'm OK if those initial 3 are filled in the first month or 2 and I'm immediately after, but I'm no OK if those initial 3 are spread out from August to December and they don't get more allocations until January. I could order from a dealership that I know still has open allocations, but they're 300 miles away and would make things a little more difficult for me.
If your dealer got allocations and has used them all, there is no guarantee that he will get more this year. Especially like Laborsmith said with a 1000 dealers not getting any Corvettes at all. At this point I think you are looking at a late 2014 build from almost every dealer that still has allocations available. Depending on how bad you want a 2014 model, you might want to think about being first for a 2015 model.

Also, if your dealer will give you a refundable deposit, you might want to grab the #4 spot and hope one of the first 3 spots backs out of the deal. That would shift you to #3. If they do not back out then you can get your deposit back or leave it there to be #1 for a 2015 model.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
call rick conti at coughlin corvette. he has three spots available for todays order be sent right in.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Vuron00

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
call rick conti at coughlin corvette. he has three spots available for todays order be sent right in.
I was thinking about doing that earlier. Do you have any idea how he works the orders? Would the car be shipped to my local dealership or would I need to travel?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuron00 View Post
I was thinking about doing that earlier. Do you have any idea how he works the orders? Would the car be shipped to my local dealership or would I need to travel?
Give him a call and discuss those options, I am sure he can have it shipped to a dealer of your choice or you can pick it up. If ou don't call soon there will be no chance to get the allocations he has today.
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
lawdogg149

Hope you called he was swamped today. Said he may have more tomm or Thursday. Rick is a no bull **** salesman. He will do what he says? He had 3 spots for todays allocation. His cell is 740-739-8377
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
lawdogg149

I would get a flight over to Columbus OH. Would be way cheaper and faster than having the car hauled over to PA