Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #71
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
In your vast experience of LS series engines exactly what on a LS7 weighs that much more than a LS3 to make the difference over 50lbs? The crank is about 5lbs more. The block weighs the same. The assembled heads weigh about the same but LS7 could be lighter. The piston/ connecting rod assembly is probably lighter on the LS7. So please educate me.

Exactly what part of it is bigger externally than a LS3? Don't pretend you were not talking about exterior dimensions earlier either because you were.
I think you're missing the point. The point is you're wrong. The LS7 weighs a lot more than the LS3.

That being said, your assumption is also wrong. My argument was based on WEIGHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
My point is that displacement doesn't judge engine size unless you are comparing the same type of motor (pushrod vs pushrod). Actual engine size and weight dictate engine size. DOHC motors are HUGE compared to simple pushrod motors. The LS3 is actually smaller and lighter, so while the motors are actually rated about the same in terms of power, the LS3 is actually the smaller, more efficient motor. The Ford motor is the larger motor and makes less power per pound, and that's what really matters. LS series motors are some of the most "swapped in" motors of all time because of how tiny they are for the power they put out.
You would've just been better off saying "Oops" instead of droning on and on trying to twist my language and poke holes to save your pride. Grow up, dude.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #72
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
It does not weigh more. In fact the oil tank only weighs a few pounds and the lines are only a few pounds. Plus, who cares power per lb the motor weighs.

Where is the 50lb+ lbs coming from? LS7 uses Ti rods, ti valves, and lightweight materials. More displacement means less material on the block.

In fact if you look at the motors in similar options the ls7 is 8lbs ligher according to GM authority. LS3 in grandsport vette with dry sump is 466, ls7 in z06 vette with dry sump is 458. Katech said a loaded ls7 long block without the oiling accessories comes in right at 430lbs which is ligher than the ls3.

It all depends on how you are weighing it. Just long block (shortblock + heads) or with all the accessories which vary car to car, or ready to drop in with harness/etc. That is why you are seeing different numbers on the weights. You are comparing a bare ls3 long block to a loaded ls7 block. Take the power steering/brackets/alternator/etc off and it is within a few lbs.

Just block weight

LS1/2/3...........106
LS7..............107
RHS..............110
Dart Billet......128
6.0L Iron.......216 (weighed another block and changed this; first block had some weight added in the deck)
LSX..............230

Billet heavy duty main caps on the ls7 block add about a lb.

Last edited by Unreal; 09-10-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #73
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
State of Tune

[QUOTE=guerrillakilla13;7929153]I have a pretty good understanding of how motors work (and the anatomy of a motor), but I have a hard time understanding something. Why is it that the 5.0 coyote motor produces as much horsepower and torque as a 6.2 ls3? Our motors are huge so you'd think they'd produce more power. Why don't they? Is this a design thing or something?

EDIT sorry accidently posted in wrong forum[/QUOTE

A lot of great comments and insights on this thread that explain the differences very well.

However I have not heard about 'State of Tune'. GM tunes the SS through the ECU and cam to deliver the HP that will make the car competitive, get decent mileage and not infringe on the mighty vette. So comparing it by displacement alone to the 5.0 is not quite right. It is easy to imagine a different tune on the ECU and a slightly different cam and you would have 480 HP instead of 426.

Just my two cents.

All the other differences between basic design philosophy of DOHC and push rod engines aside.

Jim
Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #74
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Exactly what I was thinking.

You can order a GM built crate motor right now that is the LS3 376ci 525 HP 490 ft/lbs torque.

http://paceperformance.com/i-1672048...te-engine.html

Just one of many places you can order it from but has all the specs here. Just a bit of cam work and your at 525 HP.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #75
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
The LS7 is more comparable to the 5.0 Coyote in terms of size and weight. The LS3 is a featherweight by comparison. The LS7 walks all over the Coyote.
Quote:
I understand. Mass-producing it on the same scale as the LS3, though, would reduce prices DRAMATICALLY. It would put it more in line with the Coyote, which is more expensive to produce than the LS3 due to its design.

My point is that size-wise the LS7 is a better comparison to the Coyote than the LS3. The LS3 is tiny, lightweight and compact compared to the Coyote. The LS3 is the smaller motor, despite it having more displacement. That is the advantage of a pushrod motor - compact design.
Quote:
I think you're missing the point. The point is you're wrong. The LS7 weighs a lot more than the LS3.

That being said, your assumption is also wrong. My argument was based on WEIGHT.

You would've just been better off saying "Oops" instead of droning on and on trying to twist my language and poke holes to save your pride. Grow up, dude.

Let me quote you again so you can see how incorrect your info is or can you not read what you wrote? You said and I quote " size wise the LS7 is a better comparison to the Coyote than the LS3 is" what part of this info is correct? How am I twisting your language by saying you are wrong. If any one has been going on to save their pride it's you. You are either a really stubborn person who will never admit they are wrong or you are slow. Which is it? Also another thing, you even bringing a LS7 into a conversation about a LS3 vs Coyote is laughable. Trying to say that a LS7 is a better comparison than a LS3 to a Coyote IN ANY WAY is retarded. Even if you never mentioned size, which you did despite you trying to back peddle the issue, you are still wrong about weight. Next time maybe you will hopefully know a little about what you are talking about before trying to prove your false point with links you looked up on Google.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  108.3 KB
Old 09-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #76
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
[QUOTE=Jims Mongoose;7944291]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
I have a pretty good understanding of how motors work (and the anatomy of a motor), but I have a hard time understanding something. Why is it that the 5.0 coyote motor produces as much horsepower and torque as a 6.2 ls3? Our motors are huge so you'd think they'd produce more power. Why don't they? Is this a design thing or something?

EDIT sorry accidently posted in wrong forum[/QUOTE

A lot of great comments and insights on this thread that explain the differences very well.

However I have not heard about 'State of Tune'. GM tunes the SS through the ECU and cam to deliver the HP that will make the car competitive, get decent mileage and not infringe on the mighty vette. So comparing it by displacement alone to the 5.0 is not quite right. It is easy to imagine a different tune on the ECU and a slightly different cam and you would have 480 HP instead of 426.

Just my two cents.

All the other differences between basic design philosophy of DOHC and push rod engines aside.

Jim
Very true, but that goes for any motor. That is the fun of hot rodding. Taking what the factory gives you and tweaking it. Both cars/motors have tons of potential.