The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
jrock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Coupe vs. Convertible

Took the roof off my coupe for the first time and drove around the other day. Loved it. I wouldn't really understand buying a convertible with the coupe having the option of taking the roof off. The added weight and significant difference in price and the look of the cloth top and the chance of it getting dirty and having to clean it. With all that, why would you not just get the coupe and take your roof off when you would've put the top down on the convertible.....just wondering if anyone else felt the same.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
binko

Drives: Honda Accord
I've had the roof off mine as well for the first time this week. It's pretty good but still has a fair amount of turbulence at highway speed. Having said that, it's still far better than my C5 was at highway speed.
binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Jay_Levine

Drives: 2014 Corvette
I have a vert.. I had a 300zx years ago with roof panels that came off. The problem was, where to store them? They take up room in the trunk. You can't leave them home. I live in Florida. I never go away from the car for more than 5 minutes with the top down. The vert is amazing. 17 seconds to take down the top and you can do it at up to 30 mph. Maybe if I lived in a different climate, I would have the coupe. But here in Florida, the vert is perfect!
Jay_Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
jrock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
That makes sense Jay.........I do have to say I was extremely pleased with the ease in taking the roof panel off the vette and securing it in the trunk. i guess the trunk storage is the only downside but not that bad.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
It's ALOT more trouble to take the roof off a coupe, and then you still just have a roof off, not a convertible!

I've had convertibles in c2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and now 7. Added weight? Not a big deal! Top getting dirty? Not a big deal! Price difference, not much in the grand scheme of things.

So I don't "just get a coupe" because...well, because I love a convertible!

A vette friend went with me to look at c7s and wanted me to take the top off the coupe to see if his wife could do it. I did it but no way do I want to do that every time I want to drop top!
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #6
oyealiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by binko View Post
I've had the roof off mine as well for the first time this week. It's pretty good but still has a fair amount of turbulence at highway speed. Having said that, it's still far better than my C5 was at highway speed.

Ventmaster!

I had ventmasters for my c5 coupe, and they worked great! I don't know if they have one for the c7 yet.

Last edited by oyealiz; 04-16-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:58 AM   #7
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I didn't get a convertible because I didn't want to have to put in a roll bar to take it to the track.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #8
oyealiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I didn't get a convertible because I didn't want to have to put in a roll bar to take it to the track.
Whatcha gonna do at the track?!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #9
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I live in North Carolina, and there are two tracks I'd love to go to...VIR and another one in Northeastern North Carolina that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head.

Maybe will do Autocross as well, but I've always wanted to get instruction at a track, then run the car once I'm qualified.

1/4 mile runs are fun, but much more boring
Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 AM   #10
oyealiz

Quote:
I live in North Carolina, and there are two tracks I'd love to go to...VIR and another one in Northeastern North Carolina that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head.

Maybe will do Autocross as well, but I've always wanted to get instruction at a track, then run the car once I'm qualified.

I've done many, many 1/4 miles, but those were almost all in my c5 coupe.

Autocross...ahhhhhh!!! Fun, fun, fun, and a vert is fine.

But yeah, if you're going to roadrace, it's coupe or a rollbar in your vert. I've done some roadracing where they'd put a cone or two on the straight stretches to slow you down so they could classify it as "slow speed" and let you run in your vert. That's not the norm for "regular" roadracing, though.

So I reckon you better get a coupe.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 AM   #11
Track

Drives: Z51 Corvette Convertible
I have had my vert for three months now and really glad I went for the convertible. Having owned both coupe and convertible over the years it is no contest in my opinion. If I own a Corvette there is no choice for me. There is nothing like driving ion a sunny day with that top down, the exhaust on sport and my wife sitting next to me with sunglasses on. A coupe is close but I don't want close I want the real deal. Added attraction is the crowd I draw when that automatic top goes up or down. It is too cool!
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
RidgebackKing

Drives: My wife crazy
The C7 vert looks too much like the previous models. IMO, the C7 is the coupe.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
Sierramadre

Drives: Ferrari
I happen to prefer the lines of the coupe compared to the convertible but the convertible with the top down is hard to beat...
Attached Images

Sierramadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
Buzzardz_vette
Remove Before Flight

Drives: 2014 Cpe Z51 2LT Torch Red
Quote:

Are you talking about NCCAR near Garysburg, NC?

Buzzardz_vette is offline   Reply With Quote