Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-14-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
Crusher Camaro

Drives: 19 ZL1
Cam Swap Done - Whipple Installed

Bit of a long post, but plan has always been to swap cams on my 19 ZL1. voided warranty at around 3,000 miles with headers, flex fuel etc... so that wasn't going to be an issue.

So this years project started in April. ordered a Terminator rough idle cam package from Jannetty Racing. Ted did all the remote tuning on the headers/flex fuel. pretty straight forward to deal with and was happy with the results.

I had already schedule to run Track Night in America at Daytona in May, so had to wait until after that event before I started opening it up.
Started on the weekend of May 21st and first start up was about 6 weeks later.
Only working on it during the weekend when life wasn't in the way. I would say doing by myself with no obligations on the weekends, could have completed everything in 3 weekends. But work, travel, family slowed that down.

Current Setup:
2" kooks headers/catless into stock suitcase muffler
Jannetty Terminator Rough idle came, Katech timing chain, cam phaser lock out, LS7 lifters, BTR push rods, rocker trunnion upgrade, Texas Speed valve springs/seals. DOD delete kit
ATI Damper with 8% overdrive pully
JMS booster
Mighty Mouse
OEM hardware/gaskets

I decided to pull the engine vs swap the cam in the car.
starting pulling the super charger, accessories/drives. pulled the heads while still in the car. Made taking the engine out much easer, especially getting to transmission bolts etc...
Once the engine was out, made some oil pump alignment tools (cnc router and some hardwood) pulled the oil pump and pan, lifters, and the oem cam.

Cam phaser was pretty easy with the CompCam tool. Only GM changed the pin position, not a big deal, just had an extra set of hands to hold the spring while I quickly installed the lock out phaser. Back together and the new cam went in. Then just reversed everything, timing chain, oil pump, oil pan, lifters. I did the trunnion upgrade on the rockers, pretty straight forward, used a drill press as my press to push in the new bushings.
Springs were fun, had to order a new spring compressor, mine wasn't cutting it. Once all the new parts were installed on the heads, I installed the heads out of the car. Did a little port work on the supercharger snout to match the new 95MM throttle body, nothing crazy, just port matching to the 95mm adapter.

Going back in the car was pretty straight forward, did have to take the rear transmission mount loose to allow the trans to drop down enough to line up the input shaft and the clutch. After that just kept re-installing exhaust, accessories, fuel system, then the supercharger, radiator etc...

One thing I missed was spark plugs, would have been easier to install prior to putting all the coolant and wiring harness in. especially the passenger side!

Overall was pretty easy, just alot of parts and pieces. Ziploc backs and rubber made containers are your friend. Take a bolt out, label it and put it in a bag. End of the day, I have no extra nuts/bolts that were not replaced with new hardware.

Added engine oil and coolant, used HP tuners to turn on the intercooler pump, I have a small tank on the intercooler side and made it easy to get the air out of the system.

Uploaded the tune from Ted, checked fuel system for leaks and it fired up first try.

got a good heat cycle through it, made sure all fluids were topped off.
install all the underbody panels and off the race ramps it goes for its first drive/log.
Attached Images

Last edited by Crusher Camaro; 10-04-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Crusher Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #2
Crusher Camaro

couple more pictures
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2022, 07:19 PM   #3
Crusher Camaro

short video clip.

https://youtu.be/pWxul9tcYpU
Old 07-14-2022, 08:12 PM   #4
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Sounds fantastic and I love that you did it yourself. Congrats on the successful cam swap!
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:18 PM   #5
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Sounds fantastic and I love that you did it yourself. Congrats on the successful cam swap!
Agreed! Great work!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:26 PM   #6
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Sounds great buddy! thanks for sharing. Great motivation for the DIY swap im planning.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:39 PM   #7
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Holy crap that is a lot of parts! Well done!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Sounds like a beast now!
Old 07-15-2022, 07:04 AM   #9
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Not sure what's more impressive. Your DIY cam swap or your garage. Sure wish my garage looked that clean and orderly. Congrats on both.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:23 AM   #10
ChadSZL1
Red Bull

Drives: 2017 Chevy ZL1
Any idea on RWHP and TQ? Sounds great! Are you running a blend of �� or just 93?
ChadSZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:27 PM   #11
Crusher Camaro

It was a fun project, a lot of parts, but just keep them sorted out.
I also spent the $20 for the AC Delco TDS access and copied pretty much every page involving the engine/trans. helpful when you have a service manual to reference which bolt went were. that and a shit load of pictures.

Shop is fairly organized, work in progress.

right now tuning on 93, not sure we have much head room for E, but will see were it ends up. HP wise, would say we are 125+HP of stock with all the mods.
not really overdriving the blower (yet)

once done with all the log/tuning, will get a few paces at the drag strip. Trap speed will give a rough number. no plans to dyno anytime soon
Old 07-15-2022, 05:59 PM   #12
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Your car sounds good with the new cam. Pulling the engine seems to make this job a better project than trying to do it in the car. How did you address refrigerant loss?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:41 PM   #13
Crusher Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
How did you address refrigerant loss?
Thanks, something about an American V8 with a cam!

What refrigerant loss!
I took the A/C compressor loose from the engine, lines hooked up/charged.
was a bit of a challenge, especially with the wire harnesses, but worked.

it was one of the last items unhooked from the engine, and one of the first reinstalled.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:50 PM   #14
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher Camaro View Post
Thanks, something about an American V8 with a cam!

What refrigerant loss!
I took the A/C compressor loose from the engine, lines hooked up/charged.
was a bit of a challenge, especially with the wire harnesses, but worked.

it was one of the last items unhooked from the engine, and one of the first reinstalled.
Awesome! I thought maybe you had to break the lines open for navigation and clearance. I’ve installed cams on older rides in the past, but not this platform. Thanks, this is becoming more appealing as a DIY.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote