Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
mrrrkva

Drives: 2014 Stingray z51
What is the difference between a Panther 600 and a ZL1

I just Saw a 2014 Panther edition Camaro in the showroom. I REALLY liked it. Does the ZL1 have more performance parts? They seem to be close in price. I know the Panther has 20 more horsepower.
mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
search engines r ur friend

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...EWS/120519938#
DDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
mrrrkva

I have seen the articles on the Panther, I was curious on what the differences where between the 2 cars. Does the ZL1 have a better suspension/ brake package than the Panther.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
mrrrkva

Does the Panther come with the upgraded ZL1 transmission or the Gen 3 Magnetic Ride Control? Between the 2 which one would you guys purchase?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
DDoug

from article:

An upgraded spring package that lowers the ride height about an inch is a standard chassis upgrade on the Panther 600 model, but there also are various optional suspension upgrades available, including an adjustable sway bar package for $695 and a coil-over spring/shock package for $2,595.

As opposed to the magnetic ride in the ZL1.

Better? IDK, in what way? Depends on what YOU are after.

and ...

The stock Brembo brakes that came on the 1SS donor car seemed up to the task of slowing this two-ton vehicle, but there are two Brembo upgrade packages in SLP's catalog if you have cash to spare, and the pricier of the two runs $6,000.

Once again, you decide.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrkva View Post
Does the Panther come with the upgraded ZL1 transmission or the Gen 3 Magnetic Ride Control? Between the 2 which one would you guys purchase?
no and no. Nor the HD rear axle.

it's a tuner 1SS Camaro, by SLP.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Proroc

Drives: 2013 Red ZL1 Coupe
SLP is old news

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrkva View Post
I have seen the articles on the Panther, I was curious on what the differences where between the 2 cars. Does the ZL1 have a better suspension/ brake package than the Panther.
Don't get me wrong. The SLP car was hot when they were building the SS in gen 4. NO way is it even close to the ZL1.

You are not getting the PTM systems that come on the new Stingray and on the ZR1. You are not getting the rear parts that are made for the 580HP. SLP is not going to change the rear differential, half shafts like the ZL1 has.

SLP may produce slight more HP out of the box but you can make more with the ZL1 with very little bit of money (1200 bucks) and you will have at least 75+ more.

If you want to have a car and make great straight line HP. Buy a regular SS and ship it to good tuner and let install the power for a lot less.

If you want to road race you can't the SLP car to the ZL1

Last but not least if you buy both cars and don't touch them the ZL1 in just a couple of years will have a 10k better book. NADA doesn't recognize the SLP aftermarket.

GM gives you a warranty on the ZL1 even racing it.

Hope that helps.

3000 miles now..7.97 1/8 mile on Drs, Autocross, and 2.14 full course at VIR.

SOLD!!! 2010 BLACK ON BLACK 2SS LS3, WHTIE STRIPES, Permachrome factory rims widen 10.75 rear 305/35 nittos, 275s p-zeros on the front, LIVERNOIS TUNED MAGIE-550RWHP, ROTO FAB, EBACH PROKIT, SLP emblems
Proroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
mrrrkva

Thanks Proroc, exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
SLP is just a tuner company now,no where as big as they were in the 90's,and early 2000's GM started doing their own cars to keep up with ford when they started the gt500 programs etc... SLp would of never been able to build a car like the ZL1 for 60,it would of been a 125k car due to the amount of testing and out sourced part manufacturing they would of needed help with.Plus think of the assembly line they would need to build a car on that level...most likely a whole plant.They would of had to pay for wind tunnel testing which can run into the millions easy...Plus GM and slp had somewhat of a falling out when GM refused to allow Slp to use the ZL1 name or recognize their zl cars as real or anything more than simply a tuner car..Unlike what ford did with the shelby's. SLP used to be a huge force with the tpi car,lt1 and the ls1 & ls2 cars.. The zl1 is hands down 5 times the car..it will be worth much more down the road..Now if you had one of the earlier SLp firebirds with the track pack..thats a piece of history,and have sold for 100k plus..not bad for a 80's car costing over 30k when a new firebird was 15k..
Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proroc View Post
Don't get me wrong. The SLP car was hot when they were building the SS in gen 4. NO way is it even close to the ZL1.

You are not getting the PTM systems that come on the new Stingray and on the ZR1. You are not getting the rear parts that are made for the 580HP. SLP is not going to change the rear differential, half shafts like the ZL1 has.

SLP may produce slight more HP out of the box but you can make more with the ZL1 with very little bit of money (1200 bucks) and you will have at least 75+ more.

If you want to have a car and make great straight line HP. Buy a regular SS and ship it to good tuner and let install the power for a lot less.

If you want to road race you can't the SLP car to the ZL1

Last but not least if you buy both cars and don't touch them the ZL1 in just a couple of years will have a 10k better book. NADA doesn't recognize the SLP aftermarket.

GM gives you a warranty on the ZL1 even racing it.

Hope that helps.
I have to agree with this post. I loved slp's effort with the 4th gens (obviously) and even early on with the 5th gen. The ZL1 is a different animal than the current SLP offering......and I'll leave it at that.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote