Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 05-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
high_climber

Drives: 2017 1LE Hyper Blue Metallic
Suggestions driving new car home 300 miles?

Hi all,

I'm excitedly on the verge of getting a new Camaro SS and I'm looking for advice on highway driving it when it's new. The dealer is 300 miles away so I'm flying in and driving it home. For break-in I know droning at the same RPM isn't ideal so I guess I'll just try to continuously vary my speed and frequently exit the highway to row through gears and allow some engine breaking on decel. I'll be installing a mishimoto catch can at the dealer before starting the trip and am going to tape up the rear quarter panels to protect from rock chips until I get home to install rock guards....anything else to consider??
high_climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Run some tape on the front end too, or look into TRACWRAP

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
hlyshft

Drives: 1LE VS Boss (It's a family feud)
Sounds like you have it covered. I would avoid 6th gear as well if the rpm seems a little low for your speed. Other than that you seem to understand the varied rpm.

Enjoy the new car road trip!
hlyshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
high_climber

Thanks guys. Glen, I'm not sure yet if I'm willing to dish out $600-1000 on PPF or else $25 for that temporary wrap is a steal and a neat idea!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
ZXCamaro
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_climber View Post
Hi all,

I'm excitedly on the verge of getting a new Camaro SS and I'm looking for advice on highway driving it when it's new. The dealer is 300 miles away so I'm flying in and driving it home. For break-in I know droning at the same RPM isn't ideal so I guess I'll just try to continuously vary my speed and frequently exit the highway to row through gears and allow some engine breaking on decel. I'll be installing a mishimoto catch can at the dealer before starting the trip and am going to tape up the rear quarter panels to protect from rock chips until I get home to install rock guards....anything else to consider??
Think nothing or breaking it in, and drive it how you would normally drive it. Its going to be fine.
ZXCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
high_climber

Just to clarify, is it directly behind the rear wheels that the car is most vulnerable to rock chips? Trying to figure where it's most important to tape it
Old 05-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Just to clarify, is it directly behind the rear wheels that the car is most vulnerable to rock chips? Trying to figure where it's most important to tape it
In front AND behind....rears
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
The_Coleman

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS 1LE
A radar detector?
The_Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
Quote:
Hi all,

Are you heading to the Dallas area? I rented a car and left my house (Galveston area) at 4:00am and arrived in Grapevine at 8:00am. I drove the 300 miles back home without issue. Have the dealership have the paperwork ready and get on the road as quickly as possible to avoid lunch time and rush hour in Houston. If you have one, bring a radar detector as mentioned above. Good luck with the new ride!
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #10
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I wouldn't worry about it too much on the drive home. Just switch between 4th, 5th and 6th while on the highway and exit once in a while (every 30-45 mins maybe) to give it some more varying revs. You could probably drive it all the way home in 5th and 6th and not have a problem...