Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Road and Track Magazine: Z/28 vs. The World

Road and Track Magazine has an article called "Z/28 vs. The World" where they pit the Z vs. Viper TA, Nissan GT-R, Aston Vantage V-12 and kinda a turbo Subaru BRZ. I do not see it online yet so when I can get near my scanner I will scan it and try and get it up here.

T.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
LehmanZ06

Drives: Z28 want
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Road and Track Magazine has an article called "Z/28 vs. The World" where they pit the Z vs. Viper TA, Nissan GT-R, Aston Vantage V-12 and kinda a turbo Subaru BRZ. I do not see it online yet so when I can get near my scanner I will scan it and try and get it up here.

T.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!
PLEASE !

thank you
LehmanZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LehmanZ06 View Post
PLEASE !

thank you
Yes please!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Well, since you asked so nice. This is a quick scan so it's not pretty and just the words, not the extra pix.

Z28vsTheWorld.PDF

T.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Interesting, thank you for scanning and posting!

Thankfully Gurney was there to babysit the children. The tire excusist whining at the end was pathetic. The editor of the article even had to insert a correction comment to rein in the author on one point.

There was a comment made in regards to the oil temp hitting 300 degrees and this panicked at least one of the girls. Here is what I say about that:

1. If coolant temps remain out of the red zone it doesn't matter what the oil temp goes to (the oil is cooled by a liquid/liquid system, the coolant will pull the heat out of the oil).
2. Mobil1 (factory fill) protects up to 400f (204C). Another example of modern oil capability-Motul 300V is designed to work fine up to 385f (196C).
3. The factory specifies 15W50 be installed during track use. Did the "journalist" girls do that?
4. The factory specifies the water deflector be removed from under the hood for extra cooling during track use, did they do that?
5. The factory specifies the coolant be diluted from 50/50 to 30/70 mix coolant/water, did they do that?

So the problem here in regards to oil temps is did they RTFM? They didn't say they did, so one must assume the worst. Once you follow the set-up for track use, what happens to oil temps then? Where were coolant temps when the girls went into the panic? While an interesting set of comments overall, it was sloppily reported.

/informed rant

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
It's refreshing to see the car's superiority trump an otherwise biased Baruth. He even found space to include reference to the inevitable dealer markups, something I doubt he mentions in any other reports. And, as we now know, the markups are NOT inevitable, if you shop.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
It sure sounds like some of them are pissed a Camaro showed up.

"This Camaro is simply too good for a fan base that misspells the model's name half the time."

Translated from BitchSpeak to English: Camaros are for uneducated people who do not deserve a car like this.

Yes Virginia, when you race in the desert, you set your car up for it. Duh.

If the tires are the "problem" with the other megabuck track models, then certainly the engine is the problem with the Camaro. You put $5000 worth of better wheels and tires on the other cars, and you put $5000 worth of engine mods on Camaro, big cam, headers, etc. Would the results change? I doubt it. The Camaro would now have HP parity.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post

T.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!

I remember when C5 folk trashed the Boss and said fanboys were making excuses when we complained testers did not follow the track prep owners supplement. Ah, how the table has turned. Anyone read the Top Gear review where they put it against an M6 along with the GTR?

Here's the preview vid: http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/s...pad-2014-05-30

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:17 AM   #9
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
It just bugs me that every one of these reviews have to make a dig and take a shot at the Camaro. I'm going to enjoy my next track day and smoke some prissy nosed snobs in my Camaro and laugh at them all day long.

And then I'll post pictures on C5 to relive it gain

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:53 AM   #10
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
When you're the top dog, nobody likes you! Camaro haters crying !!!!!! No answer for the Z/28! !!!!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:04 AM   #11
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Interesting article, despite the gratuitous, unnecessary insult to Camaro (did I spell it right?) owners. One of the fundamental attractions of all American Muscle Cars is the affordability of the entry level versions.

I am not a track car guy but I am very proud of what Chevy has accomplished with this ultimate Camaro. It elevates the marque.

Last edited by Indydriver; 06-03-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:13 AM   #12
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
all some straight line hp to the Z28 via a supercharger or other worthy upgrades and it will beat the mighty snake!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
For once there was no Boss mustang to be found on track but the editor still have to bring it up and compare it to it...lame.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
I captured the review and posted it HERE, in the Z/28 Reviews thread...