#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
Reidar94

Drives: ZL1
Overheated power steering, Engine & Tranny! ZL1

Hi,

Two days ago(6/04/2018) I was driving my 2018 A10 ZL1 with the 1LE aero package for better airflow etc (the car is 4 months old and barely 4000km on the odo) on the track and I got some nice error messages. The scariest was when I was approaching a corner at 240kmh and whilst braking I get an error message on the center display on the instrument cluster saying "Service - Power steering, drive with care" and when taking the corner at 120kph the power steering went out completely and it was like trying to turn a 2ton boulder on a skateboard, this was extremely scary as the car was super hard to turn and control and I was close to hitting a wall!

On top of the power steering overheating, I also got a message saying something like "turning off AC due to engine overheating", the transmission was also running really hot (on or very very close to the red mark), the sessions was not very long 10-20min with breaks in-between.

No modifications has been made to the car other than the 1LE aero package (grille, wing, dive planes etc) and new race spec brake fluid and some "better" engine oil provided by service center.
I did some research and apparently I am not the only one with this issue and the issues seem to be copy&pasted from the Corvette C7s pretty much.

The day after(7/04/2018) all this happened I took the car straight to my service center (driven super carefully) and it didn't take long before they called me back saying they found an error code saying something along the lines of "Power steering and rack overheated" she wouldn't go into much detail over the phone and she also informed me that they had not begun testing the engine overheat and transmission running hot as the PS was their nr1 priority.

Today(8/04/2018) I received a call from the service center saying that they dont know how to fix this issue and that his been escalated to GM NA (I live in UAE) and awaiting a reply from them. In the mean time they obviously have to keep my car there and I am trying to get a loaner car of equal value (but I dont want a camaro or corvette at this point).

Is there anyone else on this forum with similar issues or know how I can get in touch with people from GM NA to get this sorted because here in UAE the GM reps arent very helpful and dont really grasp the danger in having the PS to completely stop working whilst driving.

Thanks,

Alex
Reidar94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Did you have the rain shield removed from the hood heat extractor?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Reidar94

Yes, I always remove it before track.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Intermittent steering failure was an issue in the beginning, mostly due to wiring some had their rack replaced, don't recall overheating, but still may be relevant. The below thread has the TSB I used to get the service advisors attention.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...teering+issues
Old 04-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I know this sounds far fetched, but it almost sounds like the airflow through the grill openings etc, was changed somehow with the new parts you put on the car, blocking or altering the air flow across the multitude of coolers located at the front of the car.

Aren't there something like 11 different coolers (small radiators?) located right behind the front facia of the car?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
It was stated only the 1LE aero package was installed.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Reidar94

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAZL1 View Post
Intermittent steering failure was an issue in the beginning, mostly due to wiring some had their rack replaced, don't recall overheating, but still may be relevant. The below thread has the TSB I used to get the service advisors attention.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...teering+issues
Thanks, I will check it out!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
Reidar94

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I know this sounds far fetched, but it almost sounds like the airflow through the grill openings etc, was changed somehow with the new parts you put on the car, blocking or altering the air flow across the multitude of coolers located at the front of the car.

Aren't there something like 11 different coolers (small radiators?) located right behind the front facia of the car?
I have only installed the ZL1 1LE aero package which should improve aero for cooling, seeing as the ZL1 1LE is built for attacking times at the track. So I highly doubt thats the issue.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
First time I have seen anyone have an issue with Engine or PS temps in a Camaro. The a10 Trans is known to run hot for some people especially if really pushing hard in hotter temps, in traffic.

What were air temps during your sessions? Were you following other cars often?
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #10
Reidar94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
First time I have seen anyone have an issue with Engine or PS temps in a Camaro. The a10 Trans is known to run hot for some people especially if really pushing hard in hotter temps, in traffic.

What were air temps during your sessions? Were you following other cars often?
Drove in the first session it was around 30-33C and then last session was around 35-36C.
I was not following cars often, quickly passed them and was passed by radicals, its a large track with plenty of air flow from winds etc.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidar94 View Post
Drove in the first session it was around 30-33C and then last session was around 35-36C.
I was not following cars often, quickly passed them and was passed by radicals, its a large track with plenty of air flow from winds etc.
Hmmmm. It was hot....but not anything the car shouldn’t be able to handle for 10-20mins in clean air.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Reidar94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Hmmmm. It was hot....but not anything the car shouldn’t be able to handle for 10-20mins in clean air.
Exactly, especially since GM was so proud of their 11 coolers that would make it harder to overheat. The car was acting very strange tbh during that track day, the engine temp went from normal operating temp and when accelerating the digital needle went straight up to overheating and as soon as I let go the temp went down immediately (according to the digital needle) and then straight back up which is really weird. An engine does not fluctuate like that in temperature whilst driving. So im guessing probably some electrical issues along with the overheating :/
Old 04-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Curious of build date month year? I know of another Chevy model ( SS Sedan) had problems because of corrosion fretting at termanial plug for EPS. The grey sticker on your door jamb will have month and year. The reason I ask this is often problem can be limited to build date and supplier parts.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #14
Reidar94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
Curious of build date month year? I know of another Chevy model ( SS Sedan) had problems because of corrosion fretting at termanial plug for EPS. The grey sticker on your door jamb will have month and year. The reason I ask this is often problem can be limited to build date and supplier parts.
I currently do not have that information at hand as the car is at the service center. Its a MY 2018 and built some time late 2017 with model nr being 1AL37 (according to sales paper)