Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #57
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
What kind of numbers did the road force give? Have they taken the tires off and remounted at all? Sometimes tires won't fully seat to the rim. Have they used a Picoscope to find what frequencies are showing up?
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #58
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
What kind of numbers did the road force give? Have they taken the tires off and remounted at all? Sometimes tires won't fully seat to the rim. Have they used a Picoscope to find what frequencies are showing up?

Not sure on the numbers. But they said it was spot on and to specs. Pretty doubtful they took the tires off the front and remounted. They did remove the rears to remove nails and patch them up from the insides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #59
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Oem wheels are hubcentric and the lugs would not affect anything. That means the wheels fit over the hubs to do the centering and lugs only apply the clamping force to hold the wheel to the hub
Old 04-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #60
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Interesting how you were able to detect that by eye. Good catch!
It was very easy. I had the tire about 1/2" off the ground. As I rotated the tire, the gap changed from 1/2" to touching the ground. But I did find it by accident. I was working on something else and had just put the wheel on and gave it a spin before lowering it to the ground. It made almost a full rotation and stopped.

The "out of round" tires didn't cause issues at speeds below 35mph and above 48mph.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #61
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder if lug nuts could also play a factor? I had gorilla lug nuts installed on the car not long after I purchased it. Fast forward to recently, the dealership replaced all the lug nuts with factory at no charge because the gorilla's were showing signs of wear and stress and were ready to crack. They stated they were starting to strip. I have not noticed much of a vibration issue as of now - but wondering if the lug nuts were part of the problem? I haven't driven the car much as of yet to actually determine it.
If they were true Gorilla lug nuts, I would be extremely surprised if they were starting to wear at all unless you're in the habit of taking them on/off every day. Lug nuts are also close to the center of the wheel and probably wouldn't have much of an effect on the balance.

However, one thing that comes to mind, although it's a bit far fetched, is the possibility that the wheel(s) wasn't sitting completely flat against the rotor. If the face of the rotor or rear face of the wheel weren't clean and flat (perhaps a small piece of something was sticking to a surface), when the wheel was mounted , it might not sit completely flat and you might end up with a slight wobble.

Another possibility.
IF you had aftermarket wheels on the car that require the use of a hub ring.

If the hub ring isn't seated completely and properly, it could cause the wheel to not seat flat on the rotor.

If you had aftermarket wheels that require hub rings on the car at one time but then changed the wheels back to the stock wheels that don't require the hub rings. You might have forgotten to remove the hub rings (DAMHIKT), again preventing the wheels from sitting flat on the rotor.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #62
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
If they were true Gorilla lug nuts, I would be extremely surprised if they were starting to wear at all unless you're in the habit of taking them on/off every day. Lug nuts are also close to the center of the wheel and probably wouldn't have much of an effect on the balance.

However, one thing that comes to mind, although it's a bit far fetched, is the possibility that the wheel(s) wasn't sitting completely flat against the rotor. If the face of the rotor or rear face of the wheel weren't clean and flat (perhaps a small piece of something was sticking to a surface), when the wheel was mounted , it might not sit completely flat and you might end up with a slight wobble.

Another possibility.

IF you had aftermarket wheels on the car that require the use of a hub ring.

If the hub ring isn't seated completely and properly, it could cause the wheel to not seat flat on the rotor.

If you had aftermarket wheels that require hub rings on the car at one time but then changed the wheels back to the stock wheels that don't require the hub rings. You might have forgotten to remove the hub rings (DAMHIKT), again preventing the wheels from sitting flat on the rotor.

The wheels have been on and off the car several times when going in between wheel balancing at least maybe 6 times within the past year.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #63
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
If you can stomach watching your $1400 tires being shaved!

Old 04-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #64
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
If you can stomach watching your $1400 tires being shaved!

That was cool to watch Didn’t know that could be done. Who does this procedure if needed?

Old 04-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #65
davidscamaro

Shaving tread won't help with a out of round problem, it's in the casing/ belts
Old 04-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #66
davidscamaro

Sorry to say but you are going to need different tires to fix your problem. Take it or leave it "My advice" I do have close to 15 years in the tire business and seen new tires with many many manufacture deficits
Old 04-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #67
davidscamaro

Cooper is a good cost effective performance tire brand , they make Micky Thompson tires for them if that says anything for there quality
Old 04-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #68
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Had my 2010 2LT Camaro serviced at the dealership over the past few months for wheel balancing issues. The steering wheel would vibrate at about 49-60 mph. Once over 60mph it would smooth out. The dealer balanced the wheels on the RoadForce to specs each time. However, it seems the balancing issues stop for a bit then return not too long after.

As of today, they serviced my car for the same issues for the 3rd time as a courtesy and now ruled out the wheels. They claimed it was due to extensive modifications on the car

The only things that were modified on the car prior to purchasing it was the ZL1 appearance package which includes the body, wheels, tires and ZL1 springs by the previous owner. The only thing I added to the car was the OEM Strut Tower Bar with the TPIS adapter kit w/bolts.

What could cause the vibration issues other than the usual wheels, tires, wheel bearing hubs and tie rod extensions?
This is why I hate mods. You end up creating issues that are tough and EXPENSIVE to trace. Some people mod and have no issues at all, and others do the same mods and nothing but trouble.
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #69
davidscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast16SS View Post
This is why I hate mods. You end up creating issues that are tough and EXPENSIVE to trace. Some people mod and have no issues at all, and others do the same mods and nothing but trouble.

That's why you do the work your self , you know it's done right and can find the problems your self because you know were to look and what has changed. Paying other to do anything but tune the ecu is not good idea , ask any gear head out there all will say the same
Old 04-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #70
davidscamaro

Even top tuner/mod shop workers would not let other guy touch there car. It's like having a wife and letting other guys please her