Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #43
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
It's probably your front tires, take them to another tire shop and have them rebalance and see if it's better. If not get new tires. Tires that are out of balance seem to wobble bad between 50-60mph. You may need to spring for new front tires.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #44
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
It's probably your front tires, take them to another tire shop and have them rebalance and see if it's better. If not get new tires. Tires that are out of balance seem to wobble bad between 50-60mph. You may need to spring for new front tires.
If that is the case - then more likely will need 4 new tires. If I pick up one more nail in the right rear then that will make it the third time and it would need plugging - then that tire will then be toast.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #45
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
The wheels were brand new OEM takes offs with less than 300 miles on them when I acquired them. The rims and tires were perfect zero issues. Once I lowered the car (8/4/12) with the OEM ZL1 springs (springs had under 1k on them) I took it to the local Chevrolet dealership for the front end alignment. Had zero issues with the springs on, I parked the car in October 2013 after it became a weekend only car and in July 2015 the car barely left the garage until I sold it 4/8/17.
Agree - nothing was wrong with the tires/wheels when I purchased the car from you other than the normal tire wear. Everything was good till I needed to replace the tires at a later time. Alignment was never an issue as well. Leads me to believe it's the Conti's and I'm surprised the dealership and no one else called out on it yet. With the tires needing plugging from nails on and off lately, how do we prove its the tires in which TireRack would be responsible in replacing them under the Road Hazzard warranty? TireRack has been picking up the bill in the tire repairs all this time.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #46
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
The balance issue would not fall under the road hazard, it would fall under manufacturer defect if it is the tires themselves.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #47
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Try different tire shop to balance and road force the wheels and tires, tell them about the on going problem and want to watch the road force for your self to see if the dealer is not being truthful. If the run out is greater than 0.030" or the balance is out more than .75oz could cause vibrations
Old 04-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #48
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I had a set of tires (not on Camaro) that just would not balance. Road force balance didn't help. I went through all sorts of anxiety about bushings etc.

Fact is, though, that vibration in a limited range of speed is always due to either unbalance or out of round wheels or tires. Although usually it's more like 60 to 75, not 40 to 55. But if these are heavy wheels, then the frequency would be lower.

At ant rate, in my case, the problem didn't go away until I got new tires that were not Generals. Never gonna buy those again.

Is the OP sure his wheels are legit, and not crappy knock-offs?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #49
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I was thinking the same. I did mention the driveshaft to them, however the dealer was more focused on the suspension and wheels. If it is the driveshaft, what would be the fix? UJoints or simply a new driveshaft w/ new ujoints?
I believe you have a two-piece driveshaft? (I might be mistaken) and the center joint has been know to fail. If that's the case, it's a simple fix.

Typically, the shaft itself doesn't fail, it's the joints at either end or in the middle.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #50
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I believe you have a two-piece driveshaft? (I might be mistaken) and the center joint has been know to fail. If that's the case, it's a simple fix.

Typically, the shaft itself doesn't fail, it's the joints at either end or in the middle.
If vibration is speed related, not rpm related, then it's about the wheels and tires.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #51
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
If vibration is speed related, not rpm related, then it's about the wheels and tires.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #52
SummitWhite11

Quote:
I had a set of tires (not on Camaro) that just would not balance. Road force balance didn't help. I went through all sorts of anxiety about bushings etc.

Fact is, though, that vibration in a limited range of speed is always due to either unbalance or out of round wheels or tires. Although usually it's more like 60 to 75, not 40 to 55. But if these are heavy wheels, then the frequency would be lower.

At ant rate, in my case, the problem didn't go away until I got new tires that were not Generals. Never gonna buy those again.

Is the OP sure his wheels are legit, and not crappy knock-offs?

Yes they are indeed OEM. The previous owner purchased these rims as takeoffs from a ZL1 with 300 miles on them. Basically brand new. Has the GM stamp/etching inside the rims along with the CAMARO engraved lettering near the outer lip of the rim on all fours. There weren’t any vibration issues with the rims/tires when purchased the car from the previous owner. Problems started not long after I installed the Conti’s from tirerack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #53
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Yes they are indeed OEM. The previous owner purchased these rims as takeoffs from a ZL1 with 300 miles on them. Basically brand new. Has the GM stamp/etching inside the rims along with the CAMARO engraved lettering near the outer lip of the rim on all fours. There weren’t any vibration issues with the rims/tires when purchased the car from the previous owner. Problems started not long after I installed the Conti’s from tirerack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK then. It's the tires.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #54
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had a similar issue with my Suburban, it turned out to be the tires. They weren't round. I replaced just about every part of the front steering and suspension before I figured it out.

I had it up on the jack with the tires just barely off the ground. If I spun the wheel, the gap between the bottom of the tire and ground would change by quite a bit. Replaced the tires and all has been good.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #55
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I had a similar issue with my Suburban, it turned out to be the tires. They weren't round. I replaced just about every part of the front steering and suspension before I figured it out.

I had it up on the jack with the tires just barely off the ground. If I spun the wheel, the gap between the bottom of the tire and ground would change by quite a bit. Replaced the tires and all has been good.
Interesting how you were able to detect that by eye. Good catch!

Old 04-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #56
SummitWhite11

Quote:
OK then. It's the tires.
I'm beginning to wonder if lug nuts could also play a factor? I had gorilla lug nuts installed on the car not long after I purchased it. Fast forward to recently, the dealership replaced all the lug nuts with factory at no charge because the gorilla's were showing signs of wear and stress and were ready to crack. They stated they were starting to strip. I have not noticed much of a vibration issue as of now - but wondering if the lug nuts were part of the problem? I haven't driven the car much as of yet to actually determine it.