Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 06-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #1
StreetPerformers805

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Moving to NC what do I need to pass emissions test?

I’m making the move from coast to coast. SoCal to NC, and I’m wondering what my cars gonna need when it’s time to get it registered there. I’m trying to move to a county that doesn’t require emissions testing but rent in most of those counties is either non existent or too expensive or too far from Wilmington where I’ll be working. so I might have to live in Wilmington/new Hanover county which does require emissions testing and I’m having a hard time figuring out what it takes to pass the inspection. I’ve lived in so cal my entire life so I know people I can pay off to get a dirty smog inspection but I literally don’t know anyone in NC so that’s not an option. My car has full bolt ons with an ss4 cam. No cats. Will I just need to put some high flow cats on it or is there more to it than that? In Cali they’re reading our tunes now days and the car has to be practically bone stock or have CARB approved modifications to pass but I have a feeling NC is a little more lenient. Any help is much appreciated.
StreetPerformers805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:15 AM   #2
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
You don't have to get an inspection until your first annual registration renewal, so you have a year to figure it out. But that said, pretty sure they just plug into OBD2 and look for readiness codes. The car doesn't even get put on a lift. I've never noticed them looking underneath any of my vehicles. Hopefully someone on here with like mods to yours who has more experience with this speaks up. As for other stuff it takes to get registered, there's a highway tax they gig you with that will likely be $250 depending on car's age, plus personal property tax. It cost me almost $2500 to get 3 vehicles registered when I came here in 2019.

Last edited by ZED SLED; 06-13-2022 at 06:39 AM.
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Agreed- no emissions as long as the cpu passes and like said above, sometimes that's all they check. But, I've 'got a guy'. He does add $10 for tint that he doesn't check either. Lol
joshnmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #4
StreetPerformers805

Thank for the info guys. Sounds like all I need to worry about then would be installing some cats to my exhaust system in order to get the cat monitors to clear. Not looking forward to paying the Highway and personal property taxes, but that’s not too bad compared to what it costs to register cars here in California. Not to mention the $500+ that it costs to get a dirty smog done. I’m really looking forward to living in a place where I don’t have to worry about my cars and firearms getting me into trouble with the gustapo.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:03 PM   #5
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Welcome, and like I said, inspection not required until you renew, so you have a year to sort that out. As far as highway use tax, that's a one time fee when you first register. Don't remember specifically, but IIRC it's 3% of value up to $250. I came here from the peoples republic of NY (originally from WV) and I can attest it's awesome to live in a free state once again!

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:43 PM   #6
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Stroked, cammed and stalled, but have high flow cats. Sweated the first inspection and passed. My car is a conversation starter every time I show up for inspection. No worries.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #7
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i can't believe anything about NC is worse than the CCP.
welcome to NC take the red pill, gun up and vote for freedom.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:23 PM   #8
StreetPerformers805

Thanks for the input everyone! I’m hitting the road on the 25th and should be getting into town around the first of august. Looking forward to not being nervous every time there’s a cop in ear shot of me at a red light or in a parking lot. Also Can’t wait to remove my “fixed magazine” kits from my rifles and drill the rivets out of my 10rd magazines lol.