Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #1
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
how do you remove swirls on your paint

I have a 2014 summit white 2ss rs. I got it detailed, washed and waxed a few months ago. swirls are still very visible, after a wash, when its dirty...anytime. how do I get the swirls off. I don't have a mechanical buffer. thanks
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:19 AM   #2
pump905

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs black with white rally
You will need this Menzerna Power Finish (PF 2500), and a buffer.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
Gary24

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I'm no expert but I used a small 4" orbital buffer that I bought at Trak Auto years ago along with Adams Revive Hand Polish. I used a Terry cloth pad on the polisher. My car is black and all the swirls came out. My car was only six months old when I did it. I topped it off with Adams Buttery wax.
Gary24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
I have a 2014 summit white 2ss rs. I got it detailed, washed and waxed a few months ago. swirls are still very visible, after a wash, when its dirty...anytime. how do I get the swirls off. I don't have a mechanical buffer. thanks
Here's your thread. And no matter what anyone tells you, you are NOT going to be able to remove those swirls by hand.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
At least your car isn't black- the swirls are always visible in black
Old 11-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
thanks everyone. ya i was pretty sure i was gonna need a buffer so looks like i will be looking for a cheap one round town. just got this beautiful white 2014 ss in febuary so i knew a buffer was gonna come too sooner or later.
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:22 AM   #7
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
thanks everyone. ya i was pretty sure i was gonna need a buffer so looks like i will be looking for a cheap one round town. just got this beautiful white 2014 ss in febuary so i knew a buffer was gonna come too sooner or later.
Buying a cheap buffer is like not buying one at all. The cheapest buffer that you are going to find that will actually do something is the PC-7424XP for around $116, and that thing will take you a while to get your paint defect free. If used correctly, you will see results. With a cheap and crappy one, you'll just be wasting your time. You may as well just pay a professional to fix your paint.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:07 AM   #8
Gary24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Buying a cheap buffer is like not buying one at all. The cheapest buffer that you are going to find that will actually do something is the PC-7424XP for around $116, and that thing will take you a while to get your paint defect free. If used correctly, you will see results. With a cheap and crappy one, you'll just be wasting your time. You may as well just pay a professional to fix your paint.
I had no problems with my cheap random orbital buffer. It took the swirls out of my black paint. I eventually want to get a better one but for someone just starting out on a new car I think any random orbital will do.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary24 View Post
I had no problems with my cheap random orbital buffer. It took the swirls out of my black paint. I eventually want to get a better one but for someone just starting out on a new car I think any random orbital will do.
I totally disagree. The amount of damage that you may have in your paint may be completely different from what someone else has so a random statement that "any buffer will do" is very misleading. Add to that, you get what you pay for when it comes to these buffers and it makes no sense to spend twice the money buying something when spending once will get you something that last a lifetime. Do or do not, that is my motto. Experience has taught me well.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Check out the Junkman's videos on Youtube. He knows his shit and is the man!!!!
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Nicky Pass

Drives: 2014 BRM, 2SS, RS, 1LE
I just did my car with Adam's Polishes. I did the Paint Correction compound with an orange pad, the the Paint Finishing polish with a white pad and it looks amazing! I need the put a glaze and sealant on next. I would recommend trying Adam's line with a Porter Cable buffer.
Nicky Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Gary24

Quote:
I totally disagree. The amount of damage that you may have in your paint may be completely different from what someone else has so a random statement that "any buffer will do" is very misleading. Add to that, you get what you pay for when it comes to these buffers and it makes no sense to spend twice the money buying something when spending once will get you something that last a lifetime. Do or do not, that is my motto. Experience has taught me well.
Ok I stand corrected. I too have watched some of your videos and my next purchase will be a quality buffer.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Pass View Post
I just did my car with Adam's Polishes. I did the Paint Correction compound with an orange pad, the the Paint Finishing polish with a white pad and it looks amazing! I need the put a glaze and sealant on next. I would recommend trying Adam's line with a Porter Cable buffer.
Why do you want to add a glaze?

Old 11-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Why do you want to add a glaze?

Because it tastes so good on a donut!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Pass View Post
As the junkman has pretty much implied, a glaze really will only suit you for a quick temporary shine. basically the morning of a car show or something like that, you glaze your car to give it a nice shine. But the shine a glaze produces wears off rather quickly. Skip the glaze and use a sealant, and then when it's show time, thats when you bust out the glaze.

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote