Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #57
302Blue

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I think you meant PA and not GA, I-82 does not go through Georgia at all.

Its actually too "small" of a gear to accelerate with. The taller gears are between 1st and 4th.. 5th and 6th are shorter gears for Overdrive.. Smaller gears are not for acceleration as it takes significantly more energy to increase the velocity of a smaller gear under a load (the weight of your vehicle) than it would a taller gear ... They are designed for cruising at highway speeds. What really happened is the power the engine produced was not enough to overcome the extreme aerodynamic drag while rotating that small gear at a fast enough pace to continue to accelerate your car...

Look at it like this. If you have a tight bolt, you use a breaker bar to break it loose. This is similar to a tall gear, it multiplies the effort you're using to break the bolt loose, however; if you tried to completely unscrew it with that breaker bar, you will be there all day, because it takes a very long time for that breaker bar to complete a single revolution although it's multiplying your effort, it takes a long time to get the job done thus wastes alot of energy and keeps your car in higher RPMS... This is where the smaller gear comes into play, you remove the breaker bar and put on a Ratchet.. You may not beable to break the bolt loose with it (which is basically like trying to start your car in 6th gear) but you can turn a loosened bolt much quicker than you can with the breaker bar (which is the same as your motor turning an overdrive gear to a car thats already in motion.) however... you want to keep turning it and turning it faster and faster because its a really long bolt and you want to get it out as quick as possible.. well, eventually your arm will reach a limit to how fast it can turn that ratchet.. which is the same as your motor reaching a limit as to how fast it can spin that gear... with the amount of opposing resistance against it. It's not that the gear is too tall or short, it's just too much resistance behind it and not enough power behind the engine.
This is semantics, but don't people normally refer to "lower" or the larger 1-4 (non-overdrive) gears as shorter and then the smaller and "higher" overdrive gears 5 & 6 as the long gears? I'm just curious why you switched it up.

I always assumed it had to do with that a bigger gear that provides more torque and acceleration, but inherently can't have as much of a range in available speed. Hence the "long" gears being the overdrive gears which have a much larger range in speed and consequently higher top speed.

The breaker bar analogy is really good though, basically anything that's bigger will provide more rotational torque. Just curious if there was some technical reason to call a lower gear "longer" instead of "larger" since it's not like the gear teeth are longer or anything, the gear itself would just be all-around larger right?
302Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #58
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Blue View Post
This is semantics, but don't people normally refer to "lower" or the larger 1-4 (non-overdrive) gears as shorter and then the smaller and "higher" overdrive gears 5 & 6 as the long gears? I'm just curious why you switched it up.

I always assumed it had to do with that a bigger gear that provides more torque and acceleration, but inherently can't have as much of a range in available speed. Hence the "long" gears being the overdrive gears which have a much larger range in speed and consequently higher top speed.

The breaker bar analogy is really good though, basically anything that's bigger will provide more rotational torque. Just curious if there was some technical reason to call a lower gear "longer" instead of "larger" since it's not like the gear teeth are longer or anything, the gear itself would just be all-around larger right?
First gears on motorcycles that require a lot of clutch slipping to get rolling (and have a very high top speed) are commonly referred to as a "Tall" first gear.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #59
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
Confirmed. My 2016 RS top was 155. I did a diff swap to the 2.0T 3.23's. with that I did a Trifecta tune and had them raise it to 178 (SS top speed) with pics of my Toyo tire speed ratings.
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #60
302Blue

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
First gears on motorcycles that require a lot of clutch slipping to get rolling (and have a very high top speed) are commonly referred to as a "Tall" first gear.
Ah, okay yeah that makes complete sense.
302Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #61
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Blue View Post

Basically, Reverse and 1st gear are the LARGEST gears in your transmission case, becoming progressively smaller until you reach overdrive which is a very small gear in comparison.

The 'Tall' gears are referred to as such as they are large and intended for accelleration. Short gears are smaller and spin much faster completing more work over a period of time which is why they save fuel, but don't provide enough initial torque to get a 3,700lb car moving from a dead stop, thus is why you stall - the literal weight and resistance of the vehicle kills the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowaChevyGuy View Post
Confirmed. My 2016 RS top was 155. I did a diff swap to the 2.0T 3.23's. with that I did a Trifecta tune and had them raise it to 178 (SS top speed) with pics of my Toyo tire speed ratings.
Just dead curious, how do the 3.23's feel daily driving? do you notice a huge improvement over the 2.73's?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:33 AM   #62
NowaChevyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just dead curious, how do the 3.23's feel daily driving? do you notice a huge improvement over the 2.73's?
I have the JMS throttle controller installed and used to run it around 50-60% all the time. After the 3.23's went in I run it around 10% if at all. I haul ass everywhere.i go, around 95-110. I wanted to take some of the top end out and add some low end. Well, with the A8 gearing I gained all low end and kept the top end as well. The axles and diff themselves are much thicker and bullet proof then the stock v6 unit. All that and I still get 19-20mpg, it was a win win win! I got the diff off of an 18 2.0T. That cost me $700 (because the donor car was so new), install was $350. This solves all those throttle hesitation issues and wakes the whole car up. I feel the 3.23's should have been our stock gearing to begin with.
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
Old 05-30-2019, 06:15 AM   #63
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
You are just saying here that the speed limiter in the ECM was raised to 178?
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #64
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
I have the JMS throttle controller installed and used to run it around 50-60% all the time. After the 3.23's went in I run it around 10% if at all. I haul ass everywhere.i go, around 95-110. I wanted to take some of the top end out and add some low end. Well, with the A8 gearing I gained all low end and kept the top end as well. The axles and diff themselves are much thicker and bullet proof then the stock v6 unit. All that and I still get 19-20mpg, it was a win win win! I got the diff off of an 18 2.0T. That cost me $700 (because the donor car was so new), install was $350. This solves all those throttle hesitation issues and wakes the whole car up. I feel the 3.23's should have been our stock gearing to begin with.
There are 2 variations from the 2.0t Both are 3.27 not 3.23. The A8 is a direct swap 3.27 open diff and the Manual is 3.27 LSD if you had to change your axles you got the LSD version that doesnt have the silver plate.

The same Diff can be had from a v6 Manual as well 3.27 LSD same axles same everything as the i4 Manual.

The gears are huge but there is a reason they gave the v6 2.77 gears and that is purely based on meeting EPA demands. We are lucky the rear ends are so modular..

If you really wanted you could get the SS axles and Flanges and the Manual SS 3.83 LSD rear as well but that creates to short of gearing with the A8.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:27 PM   #65
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
Both RS & non RS are limited to 155 IIRC
Non RS around 118 I think. If it doesn't come with the performance tires the top speed is dialed back in the factory tune.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #66
NowaChevyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
You are just saying here that the speed limiter in the ECM was raised to 178?
Yes, I had them raise the speed limit cut off to 178 instead of 155.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:12 AM   #67
NowaChevyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
There are 2 variations from the 2.0t Both are 3.27 not 3.23. The A8 is a direct swap 3.27 open diff and the Manual is 3.27 LSD if you had to change your axles you got the LSD version that doesnt have the silver plate.

The same Diff can be had from a v6 Manual as well 3.27 LSD same axles same everything as the i4 Manual.

The gears are huge but there is a reason they gave the v6 2.77 gears and that is purely based on meeting EPA demands. We are lucky the rear ends are so modular..

If you really wanted you could get the SS axles and Flanges and the Manual SS 3.83 LSD rear as well but that creates to short of gearing with the A8.
I'm sorry, I stand corrected it is 3.27 not 3.23, I misquoted. Thanks for catching that. You are also correct in that I used the rear end out of a 2.0T manual to get the thicker axles and LSD.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #68
Apex_Missing_Ape

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I'm really impressed with the V6 Camaros. Looks like they run pretty well and they sound great! I was really surprised to see the video of one hitting nearly 160.
Apex_Missing_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #69
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I have a 18 RS V6 with the 8 speed auto. Does anyone know how 5th gear pulls in general? I've only topped out 4th (about 125 mph) but ran out of room. Wasn't sure if 5th was an overdrive gear or not
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #70
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
I have a 18 RS V6 with the 8 speed auto. Does anyone know how 5th gear pulls in general? I've only topped out 4th (about 125 mph) but ran out of room. Wasn't sure if 5th was an overdrive gear or not
6th gear is 1:1, only 7th and 8th are overdrive on the 8L45.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote