Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #15
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
Sorry no, those do NOTHING more than a large washer will do; nothing. But if it's worth $30.00 for some peace of mind, by all means, spend the $30.00…
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree.. see the small tabs that fold under and into the control arm to disperse the load? That is the reason they are better than washers, otherwise every company who makes these reinforcement brackets wouldn't have bothered to something along those lines.

Pfadt:

BMR

Granatelli

O.P,

I suggest getting a new rear lower control arm along with some reinforcement brackets. As said before, the newer style has provisions for both styles so that when/if you decide to upgrade to the FE4 style down the road, you will be one step closer. Not to mention they are cheap! Probably close to the cost of having them repaired.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
The bracket hooks under the arm because the load is pulling UP on the connection, a washer will keep it from pulling OUT, but has no effect in the vertical, which is the issue.

The Newer arm has the same tabs, and they are just as weak. They are $60 apiece so not really expensive and it gives you both mounting points. I would buy the arm and then have a piece welded to the tab area.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Says the guy trying to sell a set of brackets…

Let me guess, you haven't tried a washer of appropriate diameter and thickness, but know the aftermarket bracket works better?

All I know is when I 1st started seeing posts of the LCAs tearing, I decided to reinforce the area with an appropriate washer (thickness and diameter). After 2 years and 34K hard canyon miles (peak lateral loads of 1.2g) with the rear bar at its maximum setting, my LCA's still look new.

I agree I wouldn't repair the old LCA though; just replace it. For the cost of the arm, repairing it is more trouble than its worth...
Not everyone had this issue. You may have never had of this issue, even without your washers. I didn't have a problem either but have run a set since they came out. Cheap insurance. As was pointed out, it's not as much a lateral load as it's a vertical one. A washer isn't going to help much in that instance. There were several fixes back then, from welding to bolting a new bracket in. Pfadts solution was the easiest FIX since it addresses all the possible scenarios without drilling or welding. We're all glad your washers worked for you but more than likely, it wouldn't have helped the people that had failures.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #18
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Since someone may use an inappropriate sized washer, I will concede and recommend the brackets instead… How's that?
I'll also agree the washer certainly helps, since you are sandwiching the metal, the bracket is only marginally better without welding them in. Of course if you can weld them in you would just grab some existing stock to use. The tabs make it idiot proof for those that can't, and hopefully stave of failure until they move on to the next cool thing...

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #19
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
FYI

Had a pair of BMRs for sale. If I can find them... I converted to FE4 LCA and using the new style swaybars. I have my old LCA if you want them, but they are drilled out for the larger 12mm studs. I believe I may still have the BMR braces that are on them, drilled out, too. Just pay shipping and they're yours. But need the larger endlink studs so not recommended.

Here's a BMR brace that uses the older 10mm OE studs.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322735

If you weld them, the Pfadt/BMR bracket brace may not fit well if done sloppy. If you're replacing, do consider replacing both LCA and going the new style FE4 swaybar design. It's much much better than the old FE3 style, inside mount version.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:57 PM   #20
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Not sure if the dealer had to take off the lower control arm to replace the half shafts and maybe they didn't bolt the endlink on hard, but I had pfadt reinforcement.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #21
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Whoa. Ouch. But they look like they were installed backwards. I had my tabs facing the other way...

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #22
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
Whoa. Ouch. But they look like they were installed backwards. I had my tabs facing the other way...
Agreed, they were installed incorrectly.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #23
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Agreed, they were installed incorrectly.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Well I'm gonna get a stock fe3 lca and install correctly. Thanks!