Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-13-2016, 03:14 AM   #15
LiveWire195

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Thanks for the tip man.

I dont have anything powered into my kit now. The only additional power I have now is to my backup cam, and thats it.

I called up on-star today, and disabled my service, and diagnostic data. The light in my photo is off now permanently. I'm hoping that will resolve the issue, otherwise I'm going to have to contact Crutchfield for resolution.

I'm getting extremely tired of this issue.
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #16
LiveWire195

So far since disabling the On-Star the only issue that I have had is that my driver front speaker cuts out audio sporadically for a few moments and then resumes playing my audio. My headunit, dashkit, and speedometer gauges have not shut off since as well.

The best way for me to circumvent this, is to disconnect the white/grey wire harness, and splice into the side that goes directly to the speaker. (this is my theory, and I will be conducting this later)
Old 04-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #17
LiveWire195

So, it appears after rerouting the audio lines to omit the Metra setup. The issue was resolved.

The way I routed my wires for the amped out speakers was to run the wires back to the headunit, and through the factory lines. Metra's kit overloads itself with this happening, and does not support it.

The kit only reset once after I applied the fix. However I feel that the kit has been through a lot of trial by fire and clearly not stable. Just route outside of the Metra kit,and good to go.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #18
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire195 View Post
So I have some unfortunate news.

After the first Metra kit was installed, I was good until, I took a two hour drive. During the trip, I noticed my front left speaker was cutting in and out in very short intervals. I contacted Crutchfield again, and had a replacement shipped.

I installed the new one, and everything was working great until I noticed the same issue again, however this time the speakers were not cutting in and out, just lowering the music coming out of them. This is the On-Star module, when it lowers the music when making a call or any action with the On-Star setup. It wasn't terrible and only happened for a few seconds, so I decided to make peace with it and move on with my life.

I was driving home from the store, and noticed the light in the photo (below), was red. I do not remember anything I did when I had the stock system, or Scosche kit to change that color.

Shortly after my radio turns off (loss of power it looked like), then the dash kit, then the On-Star lights in the rear-view mirror, AND my speedometer screen (between the gauges). I turn the car off, and back on, and they are still not powering off. I pull home, and let the car sit for a bit (fifteen minutes). Start the car up and everything is normal.

I'm going to monitor it for the next few days and see if the issue comes back.

Anyone experience this before?
This is exactly what happened to me on my 2015 LS. The Installer shop called Metra and Metra informed him that they were aware of the issues and it was a software problem. The 2015 / 2016 CAMARO software is supposedly different and not compatible so after going the Scoshe route, the Metra route, paying for multiple installs, and well over $1200 now out of pocket, everything was pulled out and I am back to a factory system. SO I feel your pain!!!!!
MyLocalDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #19
Rob_H

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro LT RS
Jeezus! Is it even worth trying either kit out? Being from the UK it will be a massive pain if I have to return any kit
Rob_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #20
MyLocalDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_H View Post
Jeezus! Is it even worth trying either kit out? Being from the UK it will be a massive pain if I have to return any kit
Rob, wish I could give you better news but personally, I am going to sit and wait a bit. A select few were lucky and have had minimal issues. For me, I have spent way to much money and had too many issues. I could not even get Scosche tech support or customer service to respond to anything, so sent that back quick. Then with Metra saying they know about the issues and the software fix has a TBD on the time scale, it was a no brainer to pull it too. Maybe someone will have a breakthrough soon.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #21
LiveWire195

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
This is exactly what happened to me on my 2015 LS. The Installer shop called Metra and Metra informed him that they were aware of the issues and it was a software problem. The 2015 / 2016 CAMARO software is supposedly different and not compatible so after going the Scoshe route, the Metra route, paying for multiple installs, and well over $1200 now out of pocket, everything was pulled out and I am back to a factory system. SO I feel your pain!!!!!
The only thing is I installed it myself. I saw everything first hand, with every configuration.

Such a pain this whole process. I thought I had the unicorn Camaro that was the only one having these issues!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #22
InkdSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
So just to clarify if you had the choice would you go with the Metra again? When reading reviews of the Metra I found a lot of people complaining about fitment issues and the kit itself feeling cheap. That pushed me to by a Scosche. When I installed the kit yesterday none of the lights lit up, if I wiggled the harness a little they would flicker. Working on sending the Scosche back and might have to give this Metra a shot.

Funny note, I was told to contact Scosche about warranty for the unit and the following is the email reply I got back from them.

"We unfortunately are currently out of stock of the GM5201. We don't have an approximate ETA on when we'll have more units available, but at the moment we don't have any left that we can use for sale or for warranty. We are hoping to have some more in about a month. We apologize for the inconvenience."
InkdSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #23
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Not everyone has these issues sucks u guys are running into problems. I bought mine from a company who tests their scosche on their shop Camaro before sending out.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #24
LiveWire195

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkdSS View Post
So just to clarify if you had the choice would you go with the Metra again? When reading reviews of the Metra I found a lot of people complaining about fitment issues and the kit itself feeling cheap. That pushed me to by a Scosche. When I installed the kit yesterday none of the lights lit up, if I wiggled the harness a little they would flicker. Working on sending the Scosche back and might have to give this Metra a shot.

Funny note, I was told to contact Scosche about warranty for the unit and the following is the email reply I got back from them.

"We unfortunately are currently out of stock of the GM5201. We don't have an approximate ETA on when we'll have more units available, but at the moment we don't have any left that we can use for sale or for warranty. We are hoping to have some more in about a month. We apologize for the inconvenience."
I'd go with the Metra, hands down. No fitment issues here, I just slide it right in to the dash without any problems.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #25
MyLocalDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkdSS View Post

At least they responded to you. They didn't even bother to respond to me any of the times I contacted them.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #26
MyLocalDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire195 View Post
I'd go with the Metra, hands down. No fitment issues here, I just slide it right in to the dash without any problems.
I agree in that if I had to pick one, it would now be the Metra.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #27
BigPopa71

Drives: Dark Knight
Kit worked great

I had the Scosche kit in my 2011 RS Camaro and it was flawless. I had the installation done by a professional installer and it worked beautifully. Steering controls, Onstar, vehicle set up,bluetooth, radio, heat, air, etc all worked with no problems. I would buy that kit over in a heartbeat as it integrated with the car so well it felt factory. I know back in 2012 most of the guys having issues with both kits were Do it yourself installers. I'm not sure why your having so many issues with both set ups but I will tell you I stand by the scosche kit. Awesome equipment
Attached Images

BigPopa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #28
STG1RETUSN

Drives: 2017 2SS 50ANNIVERSARY
the left front speaker issue is either turn signals on or seat belt or something is setting off the warning chime.
STG1RETUSN is offline   Reply With Quote