Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Import or not?
Import 6 8.82%
Not an import 62 91.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Import or not?

Ok, in my surfing of the net I have come across many threads that state “if the Camaro is assembled in Canada it is an import. Now as much as I am disappointed that the Camaro an “American Legend” by the way, is being built by beady eyed floppy head bastards (No offence to my Canadian brothers and sisters, South Park just cracks me up) I still do not consider the Camaro an import. So what do you all think?

Last edited by KILLER74Z28; 10-06-2006 at 08:39 PM.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
matthewmiller01

Drives: 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
In my opinion, in today's world, few things are truly an import or not. Most everything either has some parts built outside the US and assembled here or parts from here and assembled elsewhere, or the company's headquarters is overseas while the factories are here, etc. The number of totally American items (cars or otherwise) seems to be slowly dwindling. (I do like watching John Ratzenberger's Made in Amerca, though. There are some companies that I never knew were American.) Anyone want to add their thoughts?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
So, Toyota is an import, right? But they have a plant here in SA, TX. So...does that make the Tundras rolling off the line right now domestics? Hey, they're built in the good old US. It's just a thought, but very true. I'd consider the Tundra an import (even though it's made here) and the Camaro a domestic (even though it's made in Canada). That's just weird...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
hmm good question. just don't say it's not made in america. b/c it is.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

When the Camaro was reintroduced to the public last January I could not believe my eyes. I was speechless, dumbfounded, my eyes just glazed over and I started drooling. I have never wanted a vehicle so badly. Then the day came when they announced the “American Legend” would be built and it is going to built in Canada. WHA WHA WHAT! How in the hell can an “American Legend” be built in another country? My heart was ripped in two. Oh yeah, I have seem to have forgotten about the whole Globalization BS that has been going on for the past few years, my bad… I’m over it now, after many moths of counseling.

Here is a statement that makes me laugh, NASCAR fans screaming about NASCAR allowing Toyota into the Nextel Cup ”How could they let a import into a domestic sport”. Meanwhile the only car that is actually made in the US is the Toyota.

As for the term “Made in America” that could include any country from South to North America. Soon there is going to be “Made by the World” tags on everything… A little from here a little from there, blah blah blah.

As for my thoughts on the new Camaro being an import, no. Most likely more than half of the parts are going to be made in the U.S., ie engine/tranny ect. and that’s good enough for me. Furthermore, with all the Globalization that’s taking place don’t be surprised if most if not all domestics are made everywhere but the U.S. in the near future…
Old 10-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
even though the toyota is assembled here in the us most of the parts are from over there.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
even though the toyota is assembled here in the us most of the parts are from over there.
Not necessarily true. Most Tier 1 and 2 suppliers in the U.S. supply Toyota, Nissan, and all other foreign car manufacturers. Company X = one line GM door handles the line next to it door handles for Toyota. Globalization works both ways.

Last edited by KILLER74Z28; 10-07-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

I realize that but there are a lot of parts that are designed and subcontracted out to company X here in the states to manufacture.

but my big thing is saying the camaro is not an american product b/c it's made in canada is bogus. b/c even the 4th gens were made in canada. which is in north America. so it's still an american product. and why do people have a problem with that? oh well guess I see america as more then the US.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

I think it comes down to most people associate America to = U.S. not Canada, Mexico, and the countries that make up South America. I like to see what kind of answers Jay Leno would receive if that were a question on a segment of Jay Walking…
Old 10-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #10
ilovethez28

Drives: 02 wrangler
all camaros and firebirds were built at st therese, canada. so its been an import from day 1? no chevrolet is an american company founded here, toyotas built here are owned by japanese company. it is still an american product
ilovethez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:23 PM   #11
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

this question really boils down to what people consider domestics and imports. b/c the way it's used the camaro is a domestic b/c it was designed and built in america (being North america not just the US). but the toyota that everyone is refering to that is built here in the states is an import b/c it was designed and owned by a jap company. . .

but if you are saying that the camaro is an import and those toyotas and nissans that are built here in the US are domestics then you can also say the BMW plant in Greenville, SC. is a domestic plant for the Z3 or 4 or whatever it is now.

but i look at it that domestics are designed for the US market by a US owned company. that doesn't mean they can't sale them in other countries. While an import maybe designed for the US market it's owned by a forgein company.

but with how each company owns parts of another (ie. GM owning part of isuzu look at their base model truck looks almost exactly like a colorado/canyon) can you really say there are true domestics and imports?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:41 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
This turned out to be a good topic. GM is domestic...period. If GM built the Camaro at the Holden plant (in Australia), I think the general public would still consider it to be a domestic. This is due to brand name. After all, we don't consider Toyota an import even though it's built right here in my hometown, as being a domestic. The Camaro being built in Canada is still domestic. Personally, I wish it would be built in the good old USA. But, I won't pass it up because it wasn't.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

I'm an arse. lol.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #14
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
That's what I like about this forum, although I don't post much on it, I think most of the people on here are a bit more realistic than some other Camaro forums I've visited. I agree with most of you. We all want GM to build the best Camaro possible, and Oshawa is one of if not the most high quality plant in all of North America. The chasis will be engineered by Holden, it will be assembled in Canada, but it's going to have 100% American DNA. In the end, GM in Detroit, MI, gets our money. And we might as well be happy for that.

It should be the best Camaro ever built, so why not utilize the best resources GM has to offer? Should GM gamble on quality just to have it built in the States? I don't think so.

Just to point something out to ilovethez28, only the 4th gens were built at St. Therese (1993-2002), and some of the 3rd gens I think. Prior to that, they were built at Van Nuys, California.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote