Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't autocross or do any fancy tracks, so I don't care about a mag suspension. Sure the ZL1 has all kinds of other goodies, but I'm happy with my modded SS. I could go to a dealership tomorrow and buy a ZL1. I couldn't go and buy my car. I made it my own and it's much more unique than a stock car. Having 600 HP is also nice

Personally, I think the best bang for the buck would be buying the lowest trim SS (is that still a 1SS?) and modding the crap out of it.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #16
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
The ZL1 is light years ahead of the SS. Don't let the SS crowd fool you. Just adding a supercharger to a SS doesn't cut it even close to a ZL1.

The Mag ride alone is worth the upgrade.
Totally agree. The SS is a great car, but it's not close to a ZL1. It may not be the best car on the road, but it's by far the best Camaro on the road and the best car I ever drove. I've had mine for two months and have THOROUGHLY enjoyed it.

Like many will tell you; if you can afford it, get it. Period.
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
And I was thinking to myself driving my SS today why would I ever need anymore power than this thing is stock on public roads, lol. I'd love to test drive one though. Maybe a low mile used one is in my future? I dunno but I have no urge to even do any mods on the SS, heh.
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #18
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
When I was shopping for my Camaro, I test drove SS V8s and LT V6s. The difference was negligible to me. Not worth 7 grand.

A ZL1 on the other hand, would probably blow me away.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #19
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Having owned an SS for almost 3 years (Got in June 2009), was thinking of upgrading with Supercharger, suspension and exhaust... but then came along the ZL1 with all the upgrades I wanted and covered under warranty to boot. Can't beat that with any upgrades to the SS so if you can get the ZL1..... go for it; I certainly love the one I got...
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #20
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Having owned an SS for almost 3 years (Got in June 2009), was thinking of upgrading with Supercharger, suspension and exhaust... but then came along the ZL1 with all the upgrades I wanted and covered under warranty to boot. Can't beat that with any upgrades to the SS so if you can get the ZL1..... go for it; I certainly love the one I got...
June 2009 to now would be 5 years and two months, typo?
Old 08-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #21
Desertion

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertion View Post
June 2009 to now would be 5 years and two months, typo?
Whoops sorry, I'm tired and read wrong. You don't have it anymore lol
Old 08-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
TexasFright

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS, 2012 BMW 128i
I would take a ZL1 over an SS but that's way out of my price range lol. I got my SS for $25,900...hell I think my ILX and SS combined is as much as a ZL1.
TexasFright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #23
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by crateish View Post
When I was shopping for my Camaro, I test drove SS V8s and LT V6s. The difference was negligible to me. Not worth 7 grand.

A ZL1 on the other hand, would probably blow me away.
When i was shopping for my camaro...i test drove the zl1 and the ss...didnt feel much of a difference between the 2..the price between the cars wasnt worth it.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:32 AM   #24
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
$20,000
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:34 AM   #25
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
When i was shopping for my camaro...i test drove the zl1 and the ss...didnt feel much of a difference between the 2..the price between the cars wasnt worth it.
Maybe not to you, but 99% of the other Camaro-driving public tend to disagree. While you can tell some things on a test drive, you won't find everything. That just tells me the SS fits your car needs, and that's great. The ZL1 'vert fit mine. Which is just great, too.

The difference is that you simply feel the extra $$ aren't worth it to you, which is different than some are saying. Others out there simply say stuff like the (fill in the blank) is just as good or just a hair less capable than a ZL1 only to justify their purchase to themselves.

If you can swing the car financially, a ZL1 is a better platform to start with than an SS, IMO. But only on days of the week that ends in Y. YMMV

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #26
GTUPONIT

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue & 2017 SS White
Go for the Z. You have 5 PTM modes that allow for suspension, steering tailoring. In tour mode, the car drives so much better than the daily bumping around of an SS but a simple push of a button and the car changes everything for serious fun. Unless you mod an SS with this feature, you will never understand the difference. Yes you can make an SS your own with mods but you can do the same with a Z. Your call though, whatever makes you happy.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #27
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
you need to just do a search under zl1 and read about it online, the mag ride, fake suede, different rear end and beefed trans and then supercharger and performance modes, tires, brakes, front end etc. It is worth it, yet so are other cars worth their prices with their options. I would have liked to get a zl1, yet I know that I would have wanted to performance upgrade it and I use my ss as my daily driver. My 2ss/rs was about 40k so I added the mods I wanted and love my car. For about 4k more I am at 500 rwhp, that 550 flywheel and close enough for me for now as I have done custom wheels etc etc and doing the rear eaton posi mod next with 3.91s. I Imagine that no matter what car you get there is always going to be one better or newer version, or more desirable mods or changes to come in the future ( at least for a couple years maybe until CAFE hits hard)... I like the looks of most decent sports cars, and performance does matter, and mileage also. I can still get over twenty MPG on the freeway and that matters to me, I do not have to worry about supercharging and its costs or turbos as its more old school and just camming and headering and tuning the car right makes it rock.
Any car is a complete package, just as the zl1 is not just a simple supercharger install, and you get what you pay for, yet bang for the buck is all in the perspective of the person who buys it and what they want to do with it. SO the 1le package is great , yet if as I did plan on driving my car year around that means a new set of wheels and tires for the rain and cold, and to mod the engine most of the suspension parts would be replaced except the struts that come with the car for the option, and the SS trans is just fine and most likely faster with the same gears for drag time E.T.s., and since I am going with a eaton posi the gears get changed too. SO the costs did not justify my daily being a 1le or zl1 but would I have one....oh heck yah, but with every car if you want to keep it long term and use the heck out of it having a plan first is reality, and knowing the reality of your budget and what the car is most useful for. There are plenty of slightly used supercharged zl1s, gt500s, etc etc on the autotrader website from people who got the wrong car for what they expected at the gas pump or with their budget, or their ego or whatever. Customizing and making a car you own is great and makes our Camaros more unique. And the more they build the more you see and less unique you may feel a car is. ANd the pride of ownership does matter but so does reality. And in reality on the street having cammed etc my car I get tons of compliments as if I needed them from its sound and performance as most people do not "build" their new car. Something alos to think about...warranty huh what is it good for............ absolutely...lol (on my second ss no problems ever with either) SO go to the zl1 site from g.m. and read dude.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Maybe not to you, but 99% of the other Camaro-driving public tend to disagree. While you can tell some things on a test drive, you won't find everything. That just tells me the SS fits your car needs, and that's great. The ZL1 'vert fit mine. Which is just great, too.

The difference is that you simply feel the extra $$ aren't worth it to you, which is different than some are saying. Others out there simply say stuff like the (fill in the blank) is just as good or just a hair less capable than a ZL1 only to justify their purchase to themselves.

If you can swing the car financially, a ZL1 is a better platform to start with than an SS, IMO. But only on days of the week that ends in Y. YMMV
I get everything your saying...I was just kidding ...I've never driven one..I'm sure there is a huge difference between the 2...just like the difference between the v6 and SS .That was the point of my post.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote