The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
BigEastVette

Drives: 2017 Z06 3LZ BLACK ROSE, FORD F250
Brake Cooling Rings

I have been tracking my car as of late and have 2 more events coming up in the next few weeks. A heavy track day at NOLA motorsports track in New Orleans, & an HPDE event at Barber Motorsports in Birmingham, AL

So far I have been running without the cooling rings on the front brakes, but was told a few day ago by some guys in my club that I absolutely should install them for each track day to improve the front braking. Looking for input on pros & cons of these cooling rings from those with experience...........

thanks in advance for the info.......

Creighton
Old 03-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
BigEastVette

bump

nobody with any input on this subject ???
Old 03-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
They are a royal pain in the ass to put on. The object of the rings is divert air flow through the center of the rotors. Air is supposed to come through the brake duct hit the rings then make a 90 degree turn and go through the center vanes and cool the rotor, in theory. I have no clue whether they actually work or not. If you track once or twice a year you might want to do this. If you track more often you might want to consider two piece brake rotors.

Follow the directions, and take off the front wheels. Cut 3 - 6" pieces of stainless wire and bend them in a "U". Bring the "U" from the back side of the rotor. Put one leg of the "U" on either side of the rotor supports and then through the two close holes in the ring. Twist the wire with your fingers to keep the ring in place. Do this twice more for the other two sets of holes in the ring. Once all three are finger tight, use pliers to continue making haywire twists on all three "U"s, while pressing the ring tight against the rotor. Twist the wires until the ring is held tight against the rotor. Once all three are tight, cut off the excess and flatten the wire twist against the ring to keep them from hitting the wheel. Put the wheel on and spin it to make sure that it does not hit the wire ends. Torque the wheels to specs (100 Ft. Lbs.)

When you are done, take off the wheels and cut off the wire holding the rings. Take off the rings and put the wheels back on.

Last edited by OldJedi; 03-07-2016 at 08:34 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
BigEastVette

Thanks for the info,........ do you think they work ? improve braking ?

Creighton
Old 03-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEastVette View Post
Thanks for the info,........ do you think they work ? improve braking ?

Creighton
Hard to say, the A8 tranny gave up before the brakes did. The rotors are not warped and there was zero fade and great stopping power. But honestly, I have no idea if the brakes would have worked just as good without them or not. I put them on to not take a chance and run into a wall. If you plan to do a lot of track work I would seriously consider another alternative.