Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Ran into problem during Hurst Shifter Install. Please help

Please help...again. I've encountered yet another problem with my Hurst Shifter install. Here are the instructions:

Attachment 621912

I'm stuck on Step 17. It says to "push the change rod up to the lower bushings in the Hurst Shifter and slide the cross pin through the change rod and the bushings in the Hurst Shifter to connect the linkage".

I've tried for 30 minutes and I cannot get the change rod into the lower bushings on the shifter. I figured it would be somewhat snug, but it really does not seem to fit at all. I've lined it up and pushed up as hard as I could (being careful not to damage the bushings) and I can't get it to go up through the bushings.

I'm wondering...is this another V8 vs. V6 install issue? I've already come across a few other issues due to the fact that I have a V6 car and the instructions suck. Is there a trick to this step? Am I missing something? Do the bushings fit the linkage for a V8 car and not a V6 car (because that's how it seems)?

Last edited by skirush; 04-29-2014 at 07:06 AM.
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:37 AM   #2
Grizley

Drives: 2010 2ss rs
Ran into problem during Hurst Shifter Install. Please help

What I did was push up as far as I could the. In the inside if car I used a thin rod after laying down towels over the console, put a screwdriver handle under rod to act as fulcrum and pried it up. Popped right into place.
Sorry if not very clear. Posting from work and not much time. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grizley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
skirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizley View Post
What I did was push up as far as I could the. In the inside if car I used a thin rod after laying down towels over the console, put a screwdriver handle under rod to act as fulcrum and pried it up. Popped right into place.
Sorry if not very clear. Posting from work and not much time. Lol

Please help me out here. I'm not understanding...
Old 04-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Also, put a touch of grease on the bushing.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
YUHATIN
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 BLACK 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
TRY THIS^^^^
YUHATIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
skirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
I thought about this, but the instructions say:

"NOTE: DO NOT grease the main pivot Teflon® lined spherical bearing and DO NOT grease the lower white Teflon® bushings. All bearing surfaces have been specifically designed for smooth maintainance free operation without the use of outside lubrication that will only attract dust and dirt which will limit performance."
Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
matthew9440

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I put a bolt and nut between the bushings and tightened them nice and tight. Then it fit great. Didn't fit at first though.

matthew9440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
Grizley

Drives: 2010 2ss rs
Oh I misunderstood. What I did was compress the bushing very slightly with a vice. Mine were not seated properly. Fit fine after that.

Grizley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
matthew9440

As a note. I replaced my bushings with the Hurst Track bushings designed from stainless steel. I have heard bad things about the nylon bushings wearing easily, so I nipped it before I installed mine. You did lube the rubber pieces before compressing them in the shifter on mine with the extreme duty busings. So mine is slightly different.

matthew9440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
skirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizley View Post
Oh I misunderstood. What I did was compress the bushing very slightly with a vice. Mine were not seated properly. Fit fine after that.

Great suggestions guys. Thanks. Wish I knew about this issue before it was bolted to the car! I really don't want to take this thing out. I have a c-clamp that I can try when I get home. If not, I will do the bolt trick. I'm hoping that will fix it.

Funny side note. I called a tech support at Hurst and he said "I have no idea, I've never heard of that." Thanks Hurst
Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
I thought about this, but the instructions say:

"NOTE: DO NOT grease the main pivot Teflon® lined spherical bearing and DO NOT grease the lower white Teflon® bushings. All bearing surfaces have been specifically designed for smooth maintainance free operation without the use of outside lubrication that will only attract dust and dirt which will limit performance."
I meant just a touch of some silicon grease. Don't cover it, just enough to make it a little slippery. Or a touch of dish soap. I didnt mean to lube it, just make it more slippery so it slides on better
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
Visago

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew9440 View Post
I put a bolt and nut between the bushings and tightened them nice and tight. Then it fit great. Didn't fit at first though.
Yup this....I put the metal bushings in mine, got everything installed and then it wouldn't fit into the change rod, bushings stuck out just enough from keeping it from seating properly. Had to pull everything out and crush em more. Used a bolt and nut to push the bushings in and tightened it as much as I could. Put it back in and it fit easily.
Visago is offline   Reply With Quote